Normal to advanced computer upgrade

33 replies to this topic

#1 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

It would be nice to have an item we could craft with 7 gold ingots to upgrade normal computers to advanced ones. How it would work is you would craft the upgrade and then shift + right click a normal computer or turtle, or combine it with a turtle, computer or pocket computer that is in item form to change it to an advanced computer. This would be useful to be able to upgrade a normal computer to an advanced one while keeping it's id, filesystem etc. Sure, you could just craft one, but sat you only have the resources to make a normal one, then you could use that computer and later upgrade it when you get gold.

#2 karelmikie3

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

This is actully a great idea, I really like this!

#3 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:15 AM

Thanks, I just find it a pain to copy everything on the computer to a floppy just to upgrade it to advanced.

#4 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

Hmm. Yeah. Just surround a normal computer with gold. In the long run you lose iron, so you are paying for this convinience.

#5 apemanzilla

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

View PostCsstform, on 01 April 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

Hmm. Yeah. Just surround a normal computer with gold. In the long run you lose stone, so you are paying for this convinience.

#6 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:49 PM

Hmm. Well then.

#7 amtra5

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:52 AM

View PostApemanzilla, on 01 April 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

View PostCsstform, on 01 April 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

Hmm. Yeah. Just surround a normal computer with gold. In the long run you lose stone, so you are paying for this convinience.
You're also losing an extra gold ingot

Edited by amtra5, 02 April 2014 - 04:52 AM.

#8 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:02 AM

View Postamtra5, on 02 April 2014 - 04:52 AM, said:

You're also losing an extra gold ingot
Small price for the convenience, I wouldn't mind this being implemented.

#9 apemanzilla

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

I feel like this could give a real reason to use normal computers and then later upgrade them.

#10 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:19 AM

Nice to see such positive input on this! I think you should craft the upgrade item though so you could also just shift-right click your computer/turtle without having to pickaxe it, while still being able to place the item + the computer/turtle/pocket pc in the crafting table.

#11 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:31 AM

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 04 April 2014 - 02:19 AM, said:

Nice to see such positive input on this! I think you should craft the upgrade item though so you could also just shift-right click your computer/turtle without having to pickaxe it, while still being able to place the item + the computer/turtle/pocket pc in the crafting table.

Good point, I hadn't thought about that. You could always just label the computer then put it in the crafting bench. But that's a more straight forward approach.

#12 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

View Postoeed, on 04 April 2014 - 05:31 AM, said:

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 04 April 2014 - 02:19 AM, said:

Good point, I hadn't thought about that. You could always just label the computer then put it in the crafting bench. But that's a more straight forward approach.
You would still have to label it, because it is essentially like picking up one computer and putting down another.

#13 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

I think the labelling would be handled automatically, as thee is always going to be somebody who doesn't even know about labels.

#14 Kingdaro

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,636 posts
  • Location'MURICA

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:46 AM

I think it's fairly reasonable for it to keep its label. Losing its label would be equivalent to me upgrading my graphics card IRL and somehow getting my HDD wiped.

Edited by Kingdaro, 07 April 2014 - 05:46 AM.

#15 crazyadam0

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWashing a ton state USA, North America, Earth, The Universe, The Multiverse (If that exists)

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:04 AM

Yeah keeping the label would be easy. Maybe you could have the upgrade but also have the crafting recipe for normal to advanced would be a normal pc and then 1 gold ingot on all 4 sides, though then again you could just label the normal pc and the advanced pc the same thing (or does that not work I've never tried it)

Edited by Enderbane, 09 April 2014 - 12:04 AM.

#16 jlp1528

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

I had this idea as well, so I chatted a little on the IRC about it. Amazing how fast ideas can evolve there. When they voiced concerns about security, I immediately started formulating possible solutions to those type of issues. What I came up with, though not entirely original, could be an absolutely brilliant change to how we work with ComputerCraft.

Basically, I have an entire concept for an access control system. Largely based around the CoFH Core access control and friends system used for tesseracts, it would consist of two simple programs - "access" and "friends." The "access" program would have three options: default "private," "restricted," and "public." The "friends" program would allow you to add and remove people to the list of those allowed on the "restricted" option. Basically, only the player who placed the computer or turtle would be allowed to break it. However, depending on players' preferences, they could restrict all other permissions (working with programs etc.) to only themselves, only themselves + the players on the "restricted" list, or allow everyone to do whatever they want with the "public" option.

Again, an easy way to understand this system is to look at how one manages a tesseract in Thermal Expansion. But what does this have to do with the upgrades thing, you ask? Well, the thing is, by requiring the person who wants to upgrade the computer/turtle to be allowed via the permissions list, the idea could be implemented in a much more secure way. In fact, if properly implemented, an access control system like this could probably allow for all kinds of new possibilities!

I have not worked out many, many details on exactly how it would all work, but I for one believe it has great potential. That said, I need feedback on this one, and I would greatly appreciate it, positive or negative. Thanks!

#17 CometWolf

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

Why on earth would you need to prevent people from upgrading your computer? lmao...
"Hey admin PLEASE HELP! Someone upgraded my computer, BAN NAAAO!"

#18 jlp1528

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

View PostCometWolf, on 18 April 2014 - 03:01 PM, said:

Why on earth would you need to prevent people from upgrading your computer?
That's not the point. The point is to prevent people from rebooting the computer at all, which an upgrade would do. There are ways to crack properly-secured computers, and forcing them to reboot is a step in a fair number of those exploit chains. So while not obvious at first, yes, it could be a problem.

#19 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

View PostCometWolf, on 18 April 2014 - 03:01 PM, said:

Why on earth would you need to prevent people from upgrading your computer? lmao...
"Hey admin PLEASE HELP! Someone upgraded my computer, BAN NAAAO!"
XD

#20 CometWolf

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:13 PM

View Postjlp1528, on 18 April 2014 - 03:21 PM, said:

That's not the point. The point is to prevent people from rebooting the computer at all, which an upgrade would do.
If i was gonna reboot your computer, i would just press ctrl+r, not waste my resources upgrading it lol. I like your suggestion, but it's entirely unrelated to this one, and should have it's own topic instead.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users