Wiki Formatting

3 replies to this topic

#1 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

It looks like formatting does not work well with <code> tags. I'm trying to post an example computercraft.cfg file on the wiki, since there was a link to a blank page, but it seems that no matter what I do, I cannot get it to show properly.

Page for reference: http://www.computerc...mputerCraft.cfg

In the text editor, it looks just fine, but if I decide I want to either remove the formatting, or list it in <code> with <nowiki>, it does not work. What am I doing wrong?

#2 MKlegoman357

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationKaunas, Lithuania

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

Fixed using <pre> tags instead of <nowiki><code>. I think mediawiki ignores newlines which are placed in the editor, but you can place them manually using <br> tags...

#3 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

The linebreaks thing depends on its mood; sometimes it ignores them, sometimes it does not. I'm not sure of the rules.

#4 LoneRangerGuy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCalifornia near the 101

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:56 AM

The problem may be in having excessively long comments in the code. If I remember correctly when displaying code MediaWiki will not wrap any text to a new line. The only way around it might be to not put it into a code block and maybe just use a fixed width font or perhaps if it's at all possible to edit the original code to have much shorter comments and put them on multiple lines rather than have a super long comment that won't wrap. In general I find it better to keep all code and comments down to 80 characters if it is at all possible, it keeps things more readable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users