NinOS 0.3 Beta One

lua computer

103 replies to this topic

#21 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:20 PM

View PostCometWolf, on 19 June 2014 - 04:34 AM, said:

He's probably not on 1.6, hence the attempt to index nil when attempting to index multishell.

Ahh, yes. I remember that even with 1.6, some people have had issues due to faulty installations. I figured that might have been the issue, but simply not being on 1.6 would definitely cause the error :P .

Anyways, the next 0.2 beta of NinOS is coming along nicely! It adds great features, but also adds amazing developer tools (and being a developer will be more important, soon enough). :)

#22 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

Version 0.2 Beta 4 Release

Features:

Desktop:
With the desktop, the path to get to your most important apps is shorter than ever before. All your apps are organized into one place. And these apps are organized in the best way: a way that allows for more apps. Add an apps to NinOS’s “core” folder, and you’ll find that app appearing on the desktop. Plus, these apps aren’t just on display. You can click on them. Using a custom coordinate-finding API, the icons generated for each app are clickable. When you click, the app you want appears on the screen. Just like you’d expect. Coming Soon: You’ll be able to right click and choose options, such as new file, new folder, or delete, that will give you quick access to certain commands.

Additions to APIS:
With this update, I've introduced even more new features into the APIs that make NinOS so great.

New Additions To UIKit:

UIBlockAdvanced(animatesetting,startposx,endposx,startposy,endposy,Bg,appBg,appTc,tablevalue,appname)
This is an extremely powerful tool -- used for equally powerful applications. With this, it is easy to create clickable blocks that lead to a certain program or command. View documentation to learn how to use.

UIBlock(animatesetting,startposx,endposx,startposy,endposy,Bg,appname)
This generated a block of a certain color. You're able to set the animate setting ("animate" or "normal") along with the animation speed ("fast" or "slow").

UIvAlign(x,y1,y2,Tc,message)
This centers text between certain y-values.

UIvLine(animatesetting,animatespeed,xpos,startposy,endposy,Bg)
This generates a vertical line of a certain color with a drawing animation (or no animation) and a color.

UIhLine(animatesetting,animatespeed,ypos,startposx,endposx,Bg)
This generates a horizontal line of a certain color with a drawing animation (or no animation) and a color.

New Additions To ResponseKit:

requirePass(appBg,overlayBg,appTc,lc,fc,correct,incorrect)
This will require the user to enter a password before a program carries on. You can set the background of the app, along with the background of the overlay. You're able to set the text color (general), the on-correct color, and the on-incorrect color.

Developer Documentation:
Spoiler

Other Features And Changes In This Update:
- Added Settings Help to Help App
- Time app now always opens in new tab
- More open user-configuration
- Enable and disable boot screen
- Added new password verification
- Added a limit to number of incorrect passwords a user has before a timeout occurs
- Password timeout increases with each incorrect password following the first timeout
- UI elements now respond better to going in and out of multitasking
- New textedit (using advanced UI blocks)
- Framework (as in, not yet completely working) right clicking in desktop
- Desktop replaced "Apps" app
- More reliable APIs for developers
- More developer API features
- NOT IN THIS UPDATE: Custom text editor (Will be added soon!)

Spoiler

This beta mostly focused on developer tools, but the next beta will focus almost entirely on new features and improvements to existing features.

- Nin

#23 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:28 AM

Version 0.2 Beta 5 Release

Features:

Right Click Menus:
Using the great APIs made just for NinOS, right click menus are not only easy for developers to create, but also great for users in so many ways. It's now easy to open any app you want in a new tab -- one click, two click, and you're done. You can delete apps and files from right-click menus, and rename them as well. Best of all, the right click menus are generated using the same tools that makes the rest of NinOS amazing. With color matching, you can have any background you want, and yet you can still know when you're in a menu. With the smooth animations that NinOS is known for, the right click menus become alive. And like the rest of NinOS, right click menus have been delicately crafted, so everything you do is done in a way that, as many would say, "just works". When want to rename a file, right click it, the menu appears. Click rename, and you aren't taken to a new renaming screen or popup. Instead, you rename the file right within the right click menu. It just makes sense. And for developers, right click menus use the same methods behind advanced UI blocks. This means that each file can be made to have a personalized right click menu, with it's own special features.

Text Edit:
Editing files is something that we all do. A lot. And with Beta 5, I've not only laying the framework for upcoming versions, but we're also introducing the first release of Text Edit. In this Beta, I focused on getting the main ideas. There aren't any fancy features, but the framework is there. I did, however, improve the experience of editing your files. I've made the colors of the editor pop-out at you, but not in a bad way. With this, it becomes easy to see exactly what you're doing. I redesigned the bottom-menu to be better seen, and I've made it easier to see which line you're on. And that's just in one update. There's definitely more to come.

Screen Savers:
With Beta 5, I've introduced screen savers to NinOS. Now, when you put your computer to sleep, you'll find that a screen saver will begin to play after a while. You can changed these screen savers in the settings, and preview them there as well. These screen savers have been designed to be simple, but in a way, iconic. This is the first release including screen savers, so some are not yet included, but they'll find there way into the OS soon.

Additions to APIS:
With this update, I've brought some more developer features:

New Additions To UIKit:

drawCircleOutline(centerX,centerY,radius,color,useBackground,char,speed)
This will generate an outline of a circle at the desired position.

displayGrid(char,bgColor,tcColor)
This is an easy way to display a customized grid.

New Additions To ResponseKit:

approval(message)
This will require the user to approve an action.

New Additions To Core:

printPos(str,xpos,ypos)
These will print text in a certain position.

pos(xpos,ypos)
This is a quick meted of setting the cursor position.

cSlow(str,ypos) and cFast(str,ypos)
These will print text slow or quickly, respectively, in the horizontal-center of the screen on the desired line.

Other Features And Changes In This Update:

- Right clicking (In Desktop/TextEdit)
- Right click menu colors correspond to background color
- Right click menu positions itself to always be on the screen
- Open filess in new tab from right click menu
- Remove files from right click menu
- Rename files from right click menu
- Right clicking in desktop, textedit, and
- Renaming a file to the same name doesn’t affect anything
- “Okay!” message when renaming is successful
- Combined all Settings-app-controlled settings into one file
- Notification for updates on home screen
- Notification for updates in Update app
- New notification-based banner on bottom of Information app
- Approve certain actions before they take place (Ex. Deleting files)
- Use multiple desktops at once
- Calculator
- Guess the number
- Improved color matching
- Slightly changed animation in SystemAbout
- Custom editor
- Screen savers
- Select screen savers
- Preview screen savers

Other Developer Features And Changes In This Update:

- Detect right clicking with Advanced UI Blocks
- Customize background and text colors of right click menus
- Set file paths for on click events (all developer-made items should be put in the “core” folder. Folders for apps can be created within the “core” folder.)
- Have user approve an action
- Easily set the cursor position
- Set the cursor position and print text in the same line
- cSlow
- cFast
- UICircleOutline

Spoiler

I worked on this beta for a while, and parts of it took longer to make than I was expecting. I'll try to be quicker about updates in the future. Anyways, enjoy!

- Nin

Edited by Nintendopup, 29 June 2014 - 03:43 AM.

#24 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

Just tried the latest update.

I gota say, these animations are really nice (although as I said before, a tad slow).

Just a few issues I noticed.

I'm not sure if it's because there isn't one available (although I think it said there was one), but when I click update (both online and offline) it says 'No such program'.

Also, with the Time program.
Not everyone lives in America :P It'd be nice to have a few other timezones (yes, I know you've got UTC)
It's probably not worth adding every single timezone, but I'd suggest adding the timezones in which people are likely to be living in.
So here's a few I'd add:
New Zealand (it's only one)
Australia (eastern, central and western)
Russia (I'm not really sure about where most people in Russia live, but I'd add Moscow at the very least)
Europe (central & eastern, maybe further eastern too)

I know it's quite a list, but maybe add one for each region/country at the very least.

#25 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

View Postoeed, on 29 June 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

I gota say, these animations are really nice (although as I said before, a tad slow).
I improved the animations in the second and third releases, but you can expect them to get even better with the next update. To which animations are your referring to, precisely? If needed, I can try to speed up the animations across the entire OS.

I'm not sure if it's because there isn't one available (although I think it said there was one), but when I click update (both online and offline) it says 'No such program'.
I just fixed the issue with the offline install. It had to do with no checking if an update file existed, which was a fault on my part ^_^. As for the online update, if you used "pastebin run" instead of "pastebin get", it would not work. I've fixed this now.

Also, with the Time program.
Not everyone lives in America :P It'd be nice to have a few other timezones (yes, I know you've got UTC)
It's probably not worth adding every single timezone, but I'd suggest adding the timezones in which people are likely to be living in.
So here's a few I'd add:
New Zealand (it's only one)
Australia (eastern, central and western)
Russia (I'm not really sure about where most people in Russia live, but I'd add Moscow at the very least)
Europe (central & eastern, maybe further eastern too)
The time app, currently, is in an early beta. I do plan to add timezones for most of the world. I haven't decided how I'm going to do this yet, but one option is to have a scrollable view where all timezones are listed, or to have a pages view where you switch between a set of timezones. I'll decide which view I want soon :) .

Thanks for the suggestions and bug reports!

- Nin

#26 Win7yes

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

Can you change the text of the "home" button of th desktop to "Start", or capitalize the H?

#27 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

View PostWin7yes, on 29 June 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

Can you change the text of the "home" button of th desktop to "Start", or capitalize the H?
Already done in the next update (I changed it to "Start") :) .

#28 Win7yes

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:26 PM

I went to edit the Desktop app to change that because I liked it more since the Metro Interface you made says Start.
I'm gonna try the update now ;)
Also, I saw that when rebooting by a Reboot Proposal, it shows a screen that says "Rebooting". Maybe you can add that to default reboot and
shutdown?

Edited by Win7yes, 29 June 2014 - 11:30 PM.

#29 Win7yes

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:36 PM

BOOGS! Trying to preview screensavers just fire a No Such Program error
TextEdit doesn't work anymore, doesn't display files
Calculator doesn't work

This bugs no longer apply, The only one wich still is there is:
Terminal is... broken... even from previous releases
Code Suggestion:
while true do
   term.write("> ")
   input = read()
   shell.run(input)
   sleep(0.1)
end
or something like that.
I solved the other bugs by creating a reinstaller that deletes everything in "Core" folder.

Edited by Win7yes, 29 June 2014 - 11:50 PM.

#30 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:41 AM

View PostWin7yes, on 29 June 2014 - 11:36 PM, said:

BOOGS! Trying to preview screensavers just fire a No Such Program error
TextEdit doesn't work anymore, doesn't display files
Calculator doesn't work

This bugs no longer apply, The only one wich still is there is:
Terminal is... broken... even from previous releases
Code Suggestion:
while true do
   term.write("> ")
   input = read()
   shell.run(input)
   sleep(0.1)
end
or something like that.
I solved the other bugs by creating a reinstaller that deletes everything in "Core" folder.
The installer already deleted everything in the core folder...Unless you mean in a different way? Anyways, how is the terminal broken? You click once and write the command or program you want to run. If you mean as in it doesn't work until you click, I can (and will) fix that. Thanks for the bug reports! I'll try to fix all of the bugs very soon!

- Nin

Edit: I've found the issue regarding the installer/reinstaller. Before, I had it so that once you downloaded the installer, you'd always have that one installer. This meant that if the installer itself was updated, you wouldn't get all the features of the new update. I've fixed this now, and I'm uploaded a fix currently. I'm sorry for the issues caused by this lack of attention to detail. Also, I realize that I could have used the update file to fix this, but I want to reserve that for different uses.

Edited by Nintendopup, 30 June 2014 - 12:50 AM.

#31 Win7yes

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:03 PM

I know that in the terminal you have to click for it to run, but you have to do that every time you type a command.
Like: You click, type "asd" and then enter, It will get stuck with no anything, then you have to click again for it to run again.
Why not make it like the shell, where you type a command, if its wrong it does nothing/launch a "No Such Program" error, then you can type again and blah

#32 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

View PostWin7yes, on 29 June 2014 - 11:26 PM, said:

I saw that when rebooting by a Reboot Proposal, it shows a screen that says "Rebooting". Maybe you can add that to default reboot and
shutdown?
I've added this in the next update :) .

View PostWin7yes, on 30 June 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

I know that in the terminal you have to click for it to run, but you have to do that every time you type a command.
Like: You click, type "asd" and then enter, It will get stuck with no anything, then you have to click again for it to run again.
Why not make it like the shell, where you type a command, if its wrong it does nothing/launch a "No Such Program" error, then you can type again and blah
I've now fixed this for the next update. Now, you can just open the app and type. You can also still use the close button to close the window, along side typing.

#33 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:13 AM

Hello all,

Sorry for the slow updates recently. I've been working rather hard on the final beta of 0.2, which adds much of what has been asked for, fixes a bunch of things, and also sets up the first ideas I have in mind for the next major release: 0.3. :)

With that said, I'll just let you know now that while 0.2 Beta 6 is not yet released (It will be released within the next few days, but I may push the release one extra day if don't get a chance to do one last check-through of everything. Soon, though, you'll all have access to the latest and greatest from NinOS.

Now that 0.2 is basically done with, I'll give you an idea of what I want to add to 0.3:
- Better multitasking
- Debugger
- More books in reader
- Improved Time App
- Improved TextEdit
- Paint
- Networking features (handling red net)
- Pastebin installer (Possibly?)
- MacOS-like system preferences
- Clickable calculator
- Something along the lines of a voice recognition program... only, text recognition (So Siri)
- Improved Notifications
- Dictionary
And, of course, much more. I can't tell you everything I want to add yet, but after 0.2 Beta 6 is released, you'll be able to tell a few things that I'm excited for. ;)

Anyways, just as a way of getting an idea of what you all want to see, what should be added in the next major release? What should be changed? Let me know! I've already gotten some ideas and advice from you, but now I want to know what you want to see in NinOS! :D

- Nin

#34 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

Uhh...I edited the OP, and when I submitted the modified post, all the formatting tags displayed. Is there an easy fix for this (other than going through and removing all of the tags)?

#35 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

View PostNintendopup, on 09 July 2014 - 11:22 AM, said:

Uhh...I edited the OP, and when I submitted the modified post, all the formatting tags displayed. Is there an easy fix for this (other than going through and removing all of the tags)?

Yea, I've had that before too. From memory I just Googled HTML to BBCode converters and found one that did the job.

#36 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:45 AM

View Postoeed, on 09 July 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

Yea, I've had that before too. From memory I just Googled HTML to BBCode converters and found one that did the job.

Heh, thanks! I found a converter that works for me...Sadly, I had to go in an redo spacing and certain things. While I was doing it, though, I updated some of the text and reformatted some things. Hopefully it's a little bit better than before. I do plan to completely redo the post with relevant information for version 0.3, along with combining all of the features into one list (as opposed to the per-beta lists I have currently). Due to this inconvenience, though, it does look like 0.2 Beta 6 will be pushed one more day. It'll be here soon enough though :).

- Nin

Edited by Nintendopup, 10 July 2014 - 01:47 AM.

#37 PixelToast

• Signature Abuser
  • 2,265 posts
  • Location3232235883

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:46 AM

installer uses too much shell.run
boot screen lies
unnecicary animations are unnecicary, and slow
password is "Nintendo" not "NINTENDO" or "nintendo"
you can terminate the password screen
the one minute lockout can be bypassed by restarting
uses waaaay too many globals http://hastebin.com/reqiteyoyo.txt
code indentation is derpy
programs wont open, cclite bug? edit: i see you are using cclite yourself so probably not >_>
screen flickers when clicking things in menu
no for loop for animations
programs shell.run apis that are already loaded
calculator program says ^ and % are not operations
lua program is easier to use than calculator
GuessThe# has a weird name
GuessThe# can be beat programmically
textedit doesnt seem to work
time is slow
debugger just has a restart button

.-. and it looks okay, i guess

#38 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:34 AM

Constructive criticism is best criticism, PixelToast.

#39 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

View PostPixelToast, on 10 July 2014 - 01:46 AM, said:

installer uses too much shell.run
Is there a better way of getting files from paste bin? I can fix part of it by using fs.delete() for removing files, but still.

boot screen lies
How so? You can disable it if you'd like to.

unnecessary animations are unnecessary, and slow
I like the animations, and I'm working on making them faster. I can also make an option to disable the animations.

password is "Nintendo" not "NINTENDO" or "nintendo"
And..? Most passwords are case-sensitive.

you can terminate the password screen
Fixed in next update.

the one minute lockout can be bypassed by restarting
I'm aware of this, and working on a fix.

uses waaaay too many globals http://hastebin.com/reqiteyoyo.txt
Most of those globals are the APIs...So, those don't really count. Then there's some variables that are global settings, which are supposed to be global. As for x, y, i, u, t, and c, those do not need to be globals. Easy fix.

code indentation is derpy
Where? I can fix this if you tell me exactly where.

programs wont open, cclite bug? edit: i see you are using cclite yourself so probably not >_>
Is there an error? Are you running the latest version of cclite? Steps to reproduce (If any)?

screen flickers when clicking things in menu
Uhh...I don't have this problem, but I'll try to find what may be causing it.

no for loop for animations
Yes, there is... There are also repeat loops, which work just as well.

programs shell.run apis that are already loaded
This is to have all the programs be able to run by themselves in debugging (and if a user removes or renames the startup file).

calculator program says ^ and % are not operations
These operations have not yet been added, but I do plan to add them soon.

lua program is easier to use than calculator
I will try to make the calculator program far better than it currently is.

GuessThe# has a weird name
Rename it using right clicking in the desktop :D/> .

GuessThe# can be beat programmically
Basically all guess the number games can.

textedit doesnt seem to work
Example? Is there an error?

time is slow
This is due to using TimeAPI.org... Not much I can do to fix this.

debugger just has a restart button
I know, the debugger has not completely been added yet. It will be in the coming updates.

.-. and it looks okay, I guess
:D Thanks!

Good feedback!
- Nin

Edited by Nintendopup, 10 July 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#40 cdel

• Banned
  • 496 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

really neat, just wondering if you wrote your own multitasking system or if you're using CraftOS' ?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users