NinOS 0.3 Beta One

lua computer

103 replies to this topic

#41 Win7yes

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:41 AM

Renaming on desktop duplicates icons and also makes the application not run since it seems to be linking the icon name to the application name

#42 shadowminer_55

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMars, Sol, Milky Way Galaxy

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:17 AM

I noticed that for a text editor you called it text edit. Text edit is a text editor for Mac OS X and since you have the theme of Windows I'd recommend something else like notepad

#43 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:26 AM

Hello all,

I'm sorry for the lack of activity that's been going on in this thread for a while. I had the final beta of version 0.2 ready to be uploaded (I had the entire post for it written), but then felt that I needed to add more. After that, I worked on it a little bit, then began to focus more on irl stuff. I left work on NinOS for a bit, mostly because I lost the drive to continue it. But, as I'm sure many of you know, "you're bound to come back eventually."

With that said, I feel that it is my duty to inform you that work on NinOS has begun once again :D . I'm not going to say an expected release date for the final beta of 0.2, but I'm sure it will be soon. There are just a few things that need to be touched up on. I've worked hard already to fix as many bugs as I can, and I'm fixing even more currently.

I'm sorry for leaving NinOS for a bit, but I promise that I'm back for good now :) .

P.S. The text editor is named Text Edit because NinOS is not Windows or Mac OS, it instead is whatever it turns out to be. I like Text Edit as a name and the Mac application, so, for now, I'd like to keep it this way. That is not to say, however, that it will never change -- or something else will change that will allow the user to change it.

#44 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

0.2 Beta 6

Final Beta

"Onwards to greater heights"

Features and Changes:
- Improved animations
- Terminal reboot and shutdown commands
- Store
- Messenger
- GuessThe#
- Improved terminal (open and type)
- Installer updates upon updating
- Changed desktop “home” to “Start”
- Fixed offline update “No such program” error
- Fixed online update “No such program” error
- Default reboot and shutdown have reboot and shutdown screens
- Fixed not returning to information app after click the update banner
- New animation on start screen app-click
- Enable and disable lockscreen notifications
- Enable and disable screensaver
- Updated Installer
- Updated start screen menu
- Welcome
- Termination bug when entering password fixed

Developer Features:
- UICircle (Filled circle)
- UICircleOutline (drawCircleOutline has been renamed)

Spoiler

Sorry for the long wait for this final beta, but I've had time to fully develope my ideas for the next huge release. You'll notice in this update that I've added a store. Yes. It's a store. It's not filled with many apps right not (just two, at the moment), but it opens a whole new door for NinOS. This means that I will be able to create apps (or have apps submitted) and put them on the store for anyone to use. I could also (possibly) put apps from the core of NinOS on the store to allow them to be updated individually.

With that said:

"Apps are more than just programs. They are expressions. They are tools. They are... whatever you want them to be. Sometimes, it makes more sense to create apps than to download them. But in other times, downloading them can be far more difficult than it should be. It should be easy to find the apps you want. And it should be as easy as clicking a button to download them. We've ignored this fact for a while, but now, we're done ignoring it. NinOS now comes with a store. And this is just opening day."

I plan for the store to have categories, more apps, and more. I also plan to put apps such as Calculator and Time on the store so that they can be updated individually. Speaking of updating, I will be adding updates to the store soon. This will make it easy to get the latest versions of the apps you use most. Currently, I'm thinking of other ideas for the store. One idea is to integrate the store heavily into the OS (with an off-switch, of course). This would mean users would be able to download many things from the store, such as images, files, programs, screensaver, backgrounds, and more. I could also have options to set apps from the store as defaults. Of course, this would all be a while away, but it's good to think about now.

Anyways, to close this post, I'll just say thanks to everyone who's used and tested NinOS so far. I want to make NinOS great, and all of you are helping me get it there.

Edited by Nintendopup, 07 August 2014 - 12:00 AM.

#45 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

Hello all,

This first release of 0.3 Beta is not quite ready yet, but I do have a couple of things to get you a little excited for it. Of course, you'll have to guess what some things mean... And I'm obviously not going to tell you all of the major features...but here, have a look at these:

Posted Image
Posted Image

I'll let you guys guess what these pictures mean. They both have a few hidden feature hints within them :) .

- Nin

#46 Win7yes

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:23 PM

Update for more features?
Update of the System Center?
Centering the System Update?

Edited by Win7yes, 16 August 2014 - 10:24 PM.

#47 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:54 PM

View PostWin7yes, on 16 August 2014 - 10:23 PM, said:

Update for more features?
Update of the System Center?
Centering the System Update?

Well...yes.... :P. All of those are correct, but not exactly what I meant by "hidden feature hints"...

I guess, to get you thinking, you might think that Update looks a little... "gray".

Or, you could say that System Center looks a bit more useful. Which, I can tell you now, it is (Very much so).

#48 Win7yes

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

I have been habing problems with updating. They do not... "Apply". I mean when I click Update (Online and offline too) it just says it's done installing and there's an error too. And then when I restart nothing changes.

#49 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:55 AM

View PostWin7yes, on 16 August 2014 - 11:18 PM, said:

I have been habing problems with updating. They do not... "Apply". I mean when I click Update (Online and offline too) it just says it's done installing and there's an error too. And then when I restart nothing changes.

The update isn't out yet. I was showing you a few pictures of what's to come. However, I can say that I've completely redone the whole updating and installing process, so it should work much better once the update comes (Which will most likely be within the next two or three days). As for the error, what does it say? And where? Also, off line update shows a notification (A little "1" in the corner) when an offline update is available. If there's no available, it should just say "No Update".

Anyways, sorry for the issues. I'll work to find out what's going wrong, and hopefully I'll have the issues completely fixed by the time 0.3 Beta 1 is released.

- Nin

#50 ZombieTurtle

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:00 AM

awesome best O.S I've seen its really good
the appearance and feel of the O.S is not to user friendly which is how it always should be

#51 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:25 PM

NinOS 0.3

Beta One

Features:
- System-wide Grayscale mode
- Fixed exit buttons in Help
- Fixed exit buttons in Text Edit
- Fixed exit buttons in Dictionary
- Gave reader a blue book for an icon
- checkColorMode() for developers
- Quicker animations
- Option to disable animations
- animationSleep(seconds) for developers
- Display Settings
- Password Settings
- Notification Settings
- Redesigned Settings App
- SystemCenter API
- App can have their own SystemCenter
- 6 apps can be shown in SystemCenter
- Siri-like utility called "Nin"
- Two-finger drag-to-bottom to bring up System Center within apps
- Apps can opt not to include SystemCenter
- Icons for every app in SystemCenter stored in core/apis/icons folder
- Reboot and shutdown "widgets" available in SystemCenter
- Custom icons can be stored in icons folder for downloaded apps
- Slightly edited startup animation
- Improved opening app animation
- Developers can disable animations for a split second to avoid having to awkwardly redraw their apps
- Return to start screen after visiting an app through SystemCenter
- Slightly edited desktop opening animation
- View notifications in Nin
- Have Nin generate a random number for you
- Have Nin put your computer to sleep
  • Nin: Nin is something…new. All the time. Here and there. Nin knows…you. And whoever you want Nin to know. And whatever you want Nin to know. Tell Nin that someone is your cousin, and Nin will know. Ask Nin a question, and Nin will answer. He knows funny. He knows smart. He knows you. Nin can tell you about your device, the time, a feature, and much more. Nin is capable of helping you in more ways than that, though. He can change settings for you, open apps, and even help you clear notifications. And, when you’re done with Nin, you can easily leave him. He’ll be there next time you need anything. And if you think you’ll be gone for a while, why not have Nin put your computer to sleep for you.
Spoiler

Ideas for this version:
The main goals for this version are to introduce features that will benefit users and developers greatly, to improve upon what is already in the OS, and to open new doors for all kinds of possibilities - Such are the ideas behind "Nin", the store, SystemCenter, Grayscale mode (Themes), and more. With these ideas in mind, I plan to make 0.3 much bigger than 0.2 in every way. Each beta will have new features and fixes, and you have yet to see all that will be in 0.3. As always, there is much, much more to come.

I will be releasing the developer documentation for this update in another post later on.

The new installer will be available soon, but is not available currently.

- Nin

Edited by Nintendopup, 17 August 2014 - 11:25 PM.

#52 Lego Stax

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationThe dark depths of the web

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:41 AM

A while back, PixelToast talked about the default password. He said it's, "Nintendo". In the topic, you have it listed as, "NINTENDO". Please change this, as it is very aggravating. You might actually lose users for your operating system. Just trying to help. :P

#53 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

View PostLego Stax, on 18 August 2014 - 03:41 AM, said:

A while back, PixelToast talked about the default password. He said it's, "Nintendo". In the topic, you have it listed as, "NINTENDO". Please change this, as it is very aggravating. You might actually lose users for your operating system. Just trying to help. :P

:mellow: Well, this actually explains a lot...

I've fixed this now :D. Whoops

#54 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

Hello All,

I figured that since no beta was released this week, I'd share with you the reason for it's delay. It's all good, of course, and in the end, I believe that the delay has given me the time to make the beta worth the wait.

Basically, there are a lot of features planned for the 0.3 update. Of course, you saw some of them with the last beta, but each beta only has a number of features that, put together, will make the 0.3 update complete. Along with bug fixes, each beta introduces a number of new features. The primary goal of the 0.3 update, I've decided, is to create a more seamless, yet more useable, experience. You've already seen some of my steps towards this goal with the last beta. SystemCenter and the SystemCenter API is one of the biggest features of the last beta, and it focused on using an API and files within a folder to give each app an idea of the apps that relate to it. When you bring this information closer to the user, and display it in an elegant way, you can greatly improve the user experience.

So with the next beta, which will hopefully be released within the coming days, I've continued this idea of making things easier and more seamless, yet so much more effective and useable. I've started to go through every single app, and reworking it from the ground up to give it the best interface and the best features it can have. Of course, not all the apps will be done in time for the next beta, but I had figured that some would be better than none at all.

I've decided to work on apps that work, but have a poor interface, first (Mainly being Help, Information, and Reader). This way, I'll be able to bring new features to apps that work, but could work better. I will them move on to apps such as TextEdit, Dictionary, and Debugger - apps that have basic functions, but need more ideas and time put into them. Last, I'll work on Calculator and Time -- both of which I plan on completely recreating. Oh, and, of course, along the way apps on the store will be updated.

Anyways, as for this coming beta, the main feature will be... well, you'll have to see. However, I can tell you something that I am excited about, but it not the main feature: The Help app will be better than any help app I've ever seen.

The full details will be described in the post for the beta, but I can say now that the new Help system will allow for apps downloaded from the store to generate help files to be displayed, and the user will be able to interact with those files, and dismiss them at their liking.

Basically, I'm putting a lot of effort into this beta, and I want it to be great, so it's taking a little longer.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for supporting NinOS!

- Nin

Edited by Nintendopup, 29 August 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#55 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:13 PM

NinOS 0.3

Beta Two

It's that time again!

This update took a while, mainly due to issues with finding the time to work on things, but it's here now, and it's exciting!

I'll go ahead and name the features now:

Features and Changes:

- Fixed sleep issue when entering password with animations off

- Added new Welcome screen

- Added initial setup program

- Initial setup program (Welcome) removes itself after it’s been run

- Setup password, background, name, and animations from initial setup

- Fixed sleep issues regarding restart requests with animations off

- Fixed userThemeColor objects being the wrong color with a lightBlue background

- Fixed flickering of the Start screen

- Information:

- NinOS logo is shown in the center of the screen

- Version now shows OS name (NinOS, or, eventually (perhaps), NinOS-PDA)

- Colormode and background color number are now shown

- The computer type (PDA, PC, AdvPDA, AdvPC) is now shown

- The information is now shown in two columns

- A divider in the middle helps separate the two columns shown

- Settings:

- Fixed “Change Password” and “Preview Screensaver” text color when using grayscale

- Fixed choppy animation upon entering Display Settings

- Help:

- New dynamic icon-view

- Pulls from “help” folder within apis

- Apps can store help files there

- Same right-clicking and clicking interface as desktop, textedit

- App can auto-download the help files directly into the help folder

- Once a help file has been added, it shows up immediately

- Multiple pages can be opened in different tabs

- Color-matched context menu

- Users can “dismiss” or delete an app’s help files after they’ve read them

- Redone help files for native apps

- GuessThe#:

- New opening animation

- Removed “click to continue”

- Moved welcome text to the center of the screen

- Moved number input closer to the top

- Moved attempts remaining to the bottom

- Moved guess messages upwards to allow for the bottom attempts message

- Made the ending quicker

- Removed closing animation

- App opening and closing adjusts depending upon background color and color mode

- Reader:

- New dynamic icon-view

- Pulls from “books” folder

- Apps can store books there

- Books will be able to be downloaded

- Same right-clicking and clicking interface as desktop, textedit, help

- App can auto-download the help files directly into the help folder

- Once a book has been added, it shows up immediately

- Multiple books can be opened in different tabs

- Context menus

- Users can delete books

- Books icons are generated for each book

- SystemCenter accessible from books

- Pages and view options are now stored in variables

- Changing view does not being you back to page one

- SystemCenter title bar is color matched to the view options

- Messenger:

- Fixed issue where messages would be printed past the bottom of the screen

- Adjusts to color mode

- Icons:

- Logos folder added

- Logos and other assets can go in the Logos folder

- NinOS logo added

- Reader icon shows number of books

- Desktop icon shows number of apps

- Nin:

- Gets commands from folder

- Moddable

- Apps, books, and help files can store command files for Nin in core/apis/nin

Developer Features:
- System Center API
- Nin API
- SettingsPanel API

As you can see, this update is far more in-depth and feature-focused than any previous update to NinOS. I plan to make all updates from here on out like this. This way, there will always be something to look forward to in the next update -- Of course, you'll have to guess what that something is each time.

Spoiler

Developer:
Coming soon.

The update will be uploaded soon.

Thanks for using NinOS!

Edited by Nintendopup, 09 September 2014 - 10:25 PM.

#56 FUNCTION MAN!

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:47 PM

I like this.
Altho too many flipping globals, man.
it'd be better if UI functions were in a UI table.

Edit: Derp-a-herp.

Edited by Xepoof, 14 September 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#57 SGunner2014

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationMaidstone, UK

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:48 PM

This is really cool.

Maybe add an option to uninstall the OS along with all of its files?

- Sam

Edit: I didn't mean this as being rude, it was just a pure honest suggestion. I really love this OS.

Edited by SGunner2014, 06 October 2014 - 07:25 PM.

#58 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:03 PM

Hello,

I've uploaded the new version of NinOS (0.3 Beta 2). I know, the update should have been uploaded a long time ago... but things happen, you know? Anyways, the update is out now, and everything seems to be working properly. There's not much use for notifications yet, but that'll change soon (within a day or two). Also, the help files are going to be uploaded shortly. The Help Files have been uploaded! The store apps will be updated soon as well, and the Installer will be getting a whole new look.

Thanks for using NinOS!

- Nin

Edit: An issue involving Notification Center showing up in the desktop has now been fixed.

Edited by Nintendopup, 06 October 2014 - 06:39 PM.

#59 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:47 PM

Hello all,

It's been a while since the last update, but development of NinOS is coming along nicely!

I'd like to give you a little update on what I've been working on. First, there are two new panels that you can open from the task bar on the desktop. One is called QuickAccess (work in progress name) and will enable you to change settings on the fly (Such as the notification toggle). The other panel is neat -- When you click on it's icon in the lower right-hand corner, a small panel appears. In this panel, you will be greeted by Nin. I know, since it's introduction in the first beta, Nin has remained a bit... well, useless, but it won't be for long! You'll be able to do anything that you'll be able to do in the new version of Nin from the new, mini-Nin.

Another part of the OS that has been improved is the notification badge system. I've changed the system (no work will be needed to be done by the end-user) so that when the files within a directory are counted, the file count will be accurate for any location.

Also, you're now able to rename the start screen to anything you want -- Just click the beginning letter of the start screen name and start typing, then hit enter.

"Lastly" (as in, this is all I'm going to say for now ;)), I've added two little welcome notifications that will appear in Notification Center. Click on them, and they'll bring you to their corresponding app (One brings you to Help and the other brings you to the Store).

The update will be released within the coming week.

Thanks for using NinOS!
- Nin

#60 1337Nuker

• New Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHACK Labs

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:39 PM

Wow! This is awesome!

I hope to see more amazing work by you soon!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users