NinOS 0.3 Beta One

lua computer

103 replies to this topic

#81 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:24 PM

Hello!

I've been away for a bit (Traveling), but I'm back now - and ready to work on NinOS!

View PostJoelahughes, on 16 April 2015 - 07:18 PM, said:

Great OS! i am looking forward to the next update. although i have a suggestion. make a calender app :)/>

This was actually posted before my trip but... Apart from a thank you for the compliment, I don't want to make the promise of a calendar app being added... However, I like the idea. I'll try. :)

View Postvorobey604, on 07 May 2015 - 04:51 PM, said:

Can i test v0.3? Please?

The way I currently have it set up, I'd have to create a completely different OS (I work with pastern, which means that the files would all have to be duplicated -- the updated ones and the older ones, if I were to have specific testers). I would like to have a sort of "Public beta", but partially due to the system and partially due to laziness, I think at the very least I'm going to hold off on that for a bit. 0.3 will be released in July, but a beta IS an option... I'll think about it more.

View PostDvgCraft, on 13 May 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

What CC emulator do you use?

Sorroko's CCLite: https://github.com/S...cclite/releases
BUT I'll be moving to Gamax92's version soon, as Sorroko's isn't updating.
http://gamax92.pc-lo...com/cclite.html

View PostExplosiveFerrets, on 14 May 2015 - 02:36 PM, said:

Really nice! Just tried it a little bit, but good work! wow Im just impressed.....

Thank's!

Work on NinOS 0.3 will continue immediately!

- Nintendo

Edited by Nintendopup, 16 May 2015 - 01:26 PM.

#82 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:05 PM

I'm not sure if I've posted this before, but the terminal seems to remove the first two lines of output from any program ran after the program ends. For my programs, this means I have to put two extra lines to read the output, which is kind of irritating.
Also, why does the versioninfo file say I'm using NinOS 0.3? The current version is 0.2.

Edited by Atenefyr, 16 May 2015 - 06:07 PM.

#83 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:20 PM

View PostAtenefyr, on 16 May 2015 - 06:05 PM, said:

I'm not sure if I've posted this before, but the terminal seems to remove the first two lines of output from any program ran after the program ends. For my programs, this means I have to put two extra lines to read the output, which is kind of irritating.

Hmm... I've cut down the lines used by the exit button and the search to one, which will decrease this... Apart from that, I think there may be a way to fix this. I'll keep you updated. Found the issue, fixed it! And did some improvements along the way. Typing "help" now gives you the help program, rather than a "coming soon" message. This may change in the future so that it can be more terminal-specific help, but for now, I consider this an improvement. I can release the updated terminal tomorrow -- I'll do more testing today, perhaps add a few more features, and then release tomorrow.

View PostAtenefyr, on 16 May 2015 - 06:05 PM, said:

Why does the versioninfo file say I'm using NinOS 0.3? The current version is 0.2.

Ahh, that's because you ARE on 0.3... the second beta of it, to be more precise.
http://www.computerc...269#entry193269

Hope this clears a few things up.

- Nintendo

Edited by Nintendopup, 16 May 2015 - 08:14 PM.

#84 ebernerd

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:25 PM

This has to be one of the most polished UI for an OS I've seen in a while. Very nice! Thank you!

#85 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:20 AM

Okay! So... School is over. Which means that I can work on NinOS much more now! Woo!

The first topic:
NinOS 0.3
​The good thing about finally being out of school is that development becomes much easier due to more time being available. The good thing about this, of course, is that I'll be able to release NinOS 0.3 Public Beta 1 on Friday. Basically, the hold up until now has been mainly school, so now that school is done with, I'll be able to make a few additions, then beta. More betas will follow, and then full release (which is when things such as more Nin commands will be added). For now, I'll give you a list of the MAJOR features you can expect on Friday:

What you can expect:
- Most apps redesigned
- Working Calculator
- Change name of start screen
- Terminal issues fixed
- Working notification center
- Improved Start gestures:
  • Two-finger drag to bottom to open SystemCenter
  • Two-finger drag to side to open the menu
  • One-finger drag to bottom to open Notification Center
  • One-finger drag to top to enter new shell
- More icons
- Welcome and new features notifications
- Example text files
- Desktop QuickAccess to Nin
- Commands in Terminal
- Many gestures that work on the start screen also work on lockscreen
- Many updated APIS

What you might get in addition:
- Multitasking (Split screen)
- A few Nin commands
- New update app
- Minecraft time in Time App
- Dictionary replaced with Games folder
- Debugger for running multitasking tests
- Debugger for running Nin tests
- Updated code (This is in addition to all the already updated code)

What you CANNOT expect (Yet):
- A calendar app (Possible, maybe)
- A dictionary app (Not happening)
- A book store (Coming soon)
- A way to import books/files into reader (Coming soon)
- A store connected to the web (Possible, maybe)
- Addition store apps (Coming soon)

Second Topic:
What is your most wanted feature? Tell me!

Edited by Nintendopup, 16 June 2015 - 01:23 AM.

#86 claw106

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:30 AM

startup:26: attempt to index ? (a nil value)

From what I saw [being able to name the pc, etc.] This looks great.

Keep up the good work!

#87 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:28 PM

The topic in the post downloads NinOS 0.3's beta. Is that intentional?

Edited by Atenefyr, 08 July 2015 - 06:31 PM.

#88 LuaNEWB

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:43 AM

Im getting a attempt to call nil. please help

#89 darkcammo

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:42 AM

Hello! Just wanted to say great job. I really love what you've done here.

I'm a bit of a computercraft novice, is there any way to run this OS on an attached monitor? I can't find a setting for it anywhere. Thanks in advance for your help!

#90 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:03 PM

View PostLuaNEWB, on 09 July 2015 - 12:43 AM, said:

Im getting a attempt to call nil. please help
Nobody can help you with just that. What CC version are you using? What line is it on?

#91 Technomage

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:37 PM

Everytime I launch the OS after the installer, the startup has an error and says this
startup :26: attempt to index ? (a nil value)

#92 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 02:19 AM

View PostTechnomage, on 10 July 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

Everytime I launch the OS after the installer, the startup has an error and says this
startup :26: attempt to index ? (a nil value)

I believe this may be an issue with a call to the multishell API. Are you using the correct version of ComputerCraft? The more recent version is always recommended.

As for other issues and questions, I will be working on NinOS tomorrow. In that time, I plan to make an announcement regarding the OS.

NOTICE:
The NinOS Store will go down soon. It will return after the announcements tomorrow.

Edited by Nintendopup, 11 July 2015 - 02:30 AM.

#93 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:45 PM

NinOS 0.3 Beta One

Utilities and Fixes

• Bug Fixes and Changes
    • Start
      • Rename start screen
      • Improved open app animation
      • Right mouse drag to right to access menu
      • Right mouse drag to bottom to access SystemCenter
      • Left mouse drag to bottom to access Notification Center
      • Left mouse drag to top to access multishell
      • Fixed graphical glitch when opening large apps
      • notificationAmount fixed to show accurate amount
      • notificationAmount fixed to ignore DS_Store files and other irrelevant files
      • Fixed notifications being wrong color in some background settings
    • Lockscreen
      • Right mouse drag to right to access menu
      • Right mouse drag to bottom to access SystemCenter
      • Redesigned using user icon
      • Run apps from SystemCenter without entering password, restricted from rest of the system
    • Desktop
      • QuickAccess to Nin
      • Start button will always say start
      • Cleaned up code
    • Store
      • Darker theme
      • Store icon added for SystemCenter
    • Calculator
      • Redesign
      • Mouse-based
      • Smooth opening animation
    • Reader
      • Fixed graphic error when leaving a book opening in another tab
      • Simple reader for books gotten from TextEdit
    • Help
      • Fixed slight delay when opening help documents
    • TextEdit
      • Example text file
      • Updated overlay windows
      • Updated color scheme
      • Save as book option
    • Info
      • Header updated to use UIHeaderExpand API
      • Content moved upwards, giving more balance to the display
      • Header colors updated to change depending upon background
    • Nin
      • Improved commands
    • Terminal
      • “Help” command bring up the help app
      • Moved the exit button and the command-line area to the same line
        • This increases the amount of room to view files
      • Added checks to see if a program is being run
      • No longer covers up “No such program” errors
      • Improved opening time
      • New green command text theme
    • Update
      • Update was incorporated into the store (End user access to update is the same, go through information app)
    • Notifications
      • Welcome notification
      • Store-communicated notifications!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      • Restart requests now show as notification rather than error
      • Clickable notifications bring you to corresponding apps
      • Notifications remove themselves when you react to them
      • Limitation of three notifications removed
      • New features notification
      • Welcome notification leads to Help app
      • Improved file-count notifications
    • General
      • Updated requirePass function
      • Instant Restart Requests GUI Overlay updated to display quicker
      • Many functions were removed that only played at the start of an app (such as the initial draw of the desktop). They were replaced with storing information in variables and only running certain animations depending upon the values of said variables.
      • Faster speeds for small header animation
  • Focus Areas for this beta
    • Notifications
    • Calculator
    • Nin
    • Reader

If you find a bug, replace report it using the following form:

Bug Title (1-3 word description of bug):

Bugged App:

Error message:

Steps to reproduce:

Spoiler

Features Explained:
The goal of 0.3 is to add necessary features and to improve the ones already in NinOS. As always, the first beta contains some features, but larger features will be added over the course of the release. Beta Two, for example, will include more communications between apps.

There are four things that I'd like to focus on this time around:
- Ability to Rename Start Screen
To some, this will appear as a tiny feature. But to me, this represents something more than just the code. By renaming the start screen, you're able to leave your mark on NinOS. Adding this features was a difficult decision for me, as it lessens the control over what I want NinOS to look like. Now that I've added this slight customization feature, I'll admit that I enjoy it. Because of this, more customization will be coming soon. To rename the start screen, click on the first letter of "Start".

- Notifications
Notifications are necessary to truly have an operating system that people can enjoy. Right now, you have three initial notifications which you can interact with (which was a difficult system to make). In the future... the next beta, more exactly, I'd like to add a way for the store to create notifications. One example is (and this is just me thinking here): The store already redownloads itself to always have an up-to-date version. Maybe I can add another download of a file that notification center would read. I could simple change the contents on that downloaded file to create many different notifications that lead to different apps. I could send out a notification that notifies users that an online update is available, or that new apps have been added to the store, or anything, really.

- Save as book
This is another feature that I am rather proud of. To some, it may seem simple and unnecessary, which I am okay with. I like it, and I think others will as well. This is one of the first steps in making an operating system in which apps are able to interact with each other and actually have different things happen. In this case, you can create a text file in TextEdit, click save as book, and have it as a non-editable book. In the future, I'd like to make all the books editable -- a communication going the opposite way in which you send a book to the textedit app. This system still needs work, but it is promising.

- Calculator
Of course, there are bound to be issues, but the calculator app is one of the first FULLY functional apps. It enabled you to perform calculations (of course), but it does though through the use of mouse clicks. No more typing in equations! The best part of this, of course, is that I've made the app very easy to work with (for me) so that I can add new operations without too much hassle.

In the end, I am aware that there will be issues. Keep in mind that this is a beta -- one of many to come. And remember: Look out for any little features. There are quit a few.

- Nintendo

#94 Joelahughes

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:52 PM

The latest update looks awesome! I have to try it as soon as I can :)

#95 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:44 PM

Quick Update:

I've put out an update (0.3 Beta 1.01) to fix some issues and make some quick changes:
- Debugger replaced with rennet Messenger
- Debugger icons in SystemCenter replaced with Messenger
- Installer fixed to download all icons
- Store icon for SystemCenter added
- Start screen name has returned on initial download
- Updatefile changed to use NinOS name (SteveOS is a development name)
- Fixed issue where Nin would cause system crash

- Nin

#96 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:26 PM

What's the purpose of the "expire" date?

#97 PokeAcer

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:59 PM

BTW, just saying:
For the
pastebin get fD2PU1f6 Installer
, try using
pastebin run fD2PU1f6
which DLs it, runs it and then deletes the installer.
Also, idea - registering an email for a mail list so people can get update notices and ask others for help (I recommend mailman, I could help setup/host if needed)

EDIT: For some reason, when I try to DL commands+ it just changes the white behind the DL button to grey, and Nin seems just as 'I do not understand' as original.

Edited by PokeAcer, 13 July 2015 - 03:23 PM.

#98 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:26 AM

View PostAtenefyr, on 13 July 2015 - 02:26 PM, said:

What's the purpose of the "expire" date?
It's a note for when that exact version will be completely unsupported. In this case, 0.3 Beta One will be completely unsupported in October. The reason for this is to keep moving people forward. While I get that there's not really a need for this, I still like to have it just so I can act all official-like.

View PostPokeAcer, on 13 July 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

BTW, just saying:
For the
pastebin get fD2PU1f6 Installer
, try using
pastebin run fD2PU1f6
Also, idea - registering an email for a mail list so people can get update notices and ask others for help (I recommend mailman, I could help setup/host if needed)

EDIT: For some reason, when I try to DL commands+ it just changes the white behind the DL button to grey, and Nin seems just as 'I do not understand' as original.

For the Installer idea, that would work in theory if I changed things around, but (as of this second) it enables people to update. In the future, I'm going to make the "Update" tool found in the info app just run the Installer file with a few arguments. Technically, either way works, but for convenience I keep the file. You can, of course, do what ever you'd like :)

For the email... hm. Good idea. But once I have a notification system that will send out update reminders (I've already made this for the next beta), and since people can ask questions here, what is the benefit to that? I mean, I guess I know the benefits but... is it worth it? I'll keep thinking about this xD.

Lastly, commands+ has been having issues for a long time... I'll go in to the shop files tomorrow and see what the issue is. I keep on wanting to fix that but... whoops :mellow: Also, currently Nin has only gained a "note" command. What I meant by "Improved Nin commands" in the changeling is that I've improved the system that makes them work, which will enable me to add more in the future. In fact, I've added a few commands for the next beta already :D

- Nin

#99 Nintendopup

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:31 AM

Quick Update:

The next beta of NinOS will be released next week. One of the major focus points of this beta is Nin. As many of you know, Nin right now is... not too helpful. But this will change. While Nin won't be gaining features such as "Call Tim" any time soon, I have made some rather nice upgrades. You'll see them in action next week, but I'd like to keep you informed here.

First of all, Nin now uses a new technique to know what you're saying. When you type something in to Nin, there's no longer set things that you have to type... for the most part. For example, if you'd like the notes app, you can say anything as long as it's related to notes and Nin knows this. "I'd like to take some notes" and "ewerweruywequruqwerweqNOTES" both work. Nin searches for certain terms in your commands and then does its best to give you what you want. This is extended to every command in Nin... And the best part about this is that I've been able to create some new things out of it, as well as design systems based on it.

The "system" that I'm talking about here is the way Nin commands are made. Before, you had to add a command file to the Nin directory, and then you had to add what people could say to access that command to a language table, and then you had to add what program would be run when a certain phrase was said to a commands table. This worked but... not well. Not much help when you'd just like to put a command in and go. Now, you put a command file in the Nin directory and Nin just knows how to take you there. Type in the name of the file (or test the new recognition) and Nin will bring you to that command. If you'd like to personalize things more, like having the name of the file be different from the command people enter... well, that still requires the old system. But at least this new one is in place to help slightly.

LASTLY (Here's the part that is good, Nin is able to open apps! ​Just tell Nin to open something, and Nin will do it. You don't even need to enter the exact name. Say "Open read" and reader will open!

Hope this makes people a bit more excited for the next beta!

- Nin

#100 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:33 AM

View PostPokeAcer, on 13 July 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

Not true, it views the source of the pastebin file and runs it through loadstring.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users