243 replies to this topic

#1 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

Development has stopped.

Yes the domain has expired. Yes the wiki is no longer online. CurseForge still has the main downloads, and if you want the latest and 'greatest' unreleased features grab it from the Jenkins build server. The mod is open source, do with it as you will, as long as you don't breach the license. I do not see myself doing development on this any time in the near future; a select few of you from the community know why and agree with me that I took the best course of action.

Old Thread

Edited by Cranium, 09 January 2017 - 12:08 AM.

#2 Konlab

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • LocationKerbin

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

One of the best peripheral mods ever

Edited by Green, 03 October 2015 - 08:24 AM.

#3 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

A redstone IO block? I'm guessing that'll be aimed dealing with MFR/RedPower cables? Though I suppose you could even add a cable of your own - I suspect you'd find it easier to maintain things that way, and you could even have some fun with it. Increase the bandwidth or something. A TrueColour cable!

I think I heard you mention the iron note block somewhere. IIRC, it'll be able to play different types of notes without worrying about the "surface under the block" system?

In terms of crafting recipe images, I'd make an account over at the FTB wiki (or whichever one suits you), find a page for a craftable item, then edit the recipe of that to match your block. You don't save the changes, of course - just preview them, then take a screenshot. Should save a bit of time.

#4 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:05 PM

View PostKonlab, on 23 June 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

-snip-

View PostBomb Bloke, on 23 June 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:

-Redstone IO snip-
I gained inspiration for this from here, and here. My initial idea was to make it control redstone remotely. however with the changes that dan added I was considering adding in support for MFR/ProjectRed cables (which I'll have the ability to disable it in the event that either of those mods where to add support)

I think I heard you mention the iron note block somewhere. IIRC, it'll be able to play different types of notes without worrying about the "surface under the block" system?
maybe? I didn't think I'd mentioned it to anyone, maybe I had, lol. but yes, you call the methods with the desired instrument and pitch, and it will play it.

In terms of crafting recipe images, I'd make an account over at the FTB wiki (or whichever one suits you), find a page for a craftable item, then edit the recipe of that to match your block. You don't save the changes, of course - just preview them, then take a screenshot. Should save a bit of time.
ooo, I didn't think of that, might even try the CC wiki, see if we have a blank crafting grid asset.

#5 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

We do - in fact we've got the template for populating it, too - but we don't have a great collection of "material" images to use with it.

Heck, why not dump your recipe documentation directly onto the CC wiki? Eg.

Edited by Bomb Bloke, 23 June 2014 - 01:29 PM.

#6 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 23 June 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

We do - in fact we've got the template for populating it, too - but we don't have a great collection of "material" images to use with it.
noice. thanks. that background image is really all I need, I can just get the item images from assets ;)

View PostBomb Bloke, on 23 June 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

Heck, why not dump your recipe documentation directly onto the CC wiki? Eg.
yeah, nah- I never agreed with that. never liked peripheral mods having a spot on the CC wiki.

EDIT: added recipe image
UPDATE: okay, the ChatBox is done. the mod now has a config file too.

Edited by theoriginalbit, 23 June 2014 - 03:07 PM.

#7 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

For chatbox, how do you determine the "range"? AFAIK, range is unlimited as far as in game chat goes.

#8 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

View PostCranium, on 23 June 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

For chatbox, how do you determine the "range"? AFAIK, range is unlimited as far as in game chat goes.
get a list of the players, loop through each and check they're within range using Euclidean distance, computationally its cheapest (well cheaper than AABB checks anyway), if the player is in range send them the message. Same goes for tell, get the target player, check they're in range, if they are send the message. Same goes for reading from the chat, if the sending player (or dead player) is within the read range then queue the event, otherwise ignore it. However any range will be completely ignored if its -1 in the config, by default the read range is the only value to be -1, say/tell are set to 64 blocks by default.

Edited by theoriginalbit, 23 June 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#9 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

Let me clarify:
Why is the range configurable? Shouldn't chat be global anyway? Why put a range on it?

#10 Dog

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationEarth orbit

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

I have some 'suggestions/requests'. The first is (I think) semi-original - the next two are requests for remakes of MiscPeripherals items.

1. An 'arrow/pointer' block - a simple block with an arrow image on it that points away from you when placed (N,S,E,W,NE,SE,NW,SW, Up? Down?). They could be used for providing directions or showing where (and which facing) to place a turtle for a specific task. Dye-ability would be nice (to provide multiple direction markers in close proximity pointing to different things, or to color match to the surrounding blocks). I'm not a texture artist, but I'd be happy to draw an arrow for the block :P

2. A 'redo' of the fireworks peripheral from Misc. Peripherals. I miss sitting back and enjoying a fireworks show after completing a big project.

3. A 'working redo' of the Misc. Peripherals turtle teleporter. Seemed like a really handy device, unfortunately it never worked across reboots for me.

I submit these without expectation. Thanks for your consideration (and the new mod), Bit.

#11 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:06 AM

Oh, I see you started over again with the source :P
Goodluck with the mod :)

#12 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:42 AM

View PostCranium, on 23 June 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

Let me clarify:
Why is the range configurable? Shouldn't chat be global anyway? Why put a range on it?
ah. well it was a design choice made in MiscPeripherals that I did actually agree with after playing on a server a while back, the server had an economy system, and every man and his dog had Chat Boxes setup, the amount of spam within the shopping district was bad, it would have been horrible if it was infinite range. As I said, it can always be disabled in the config by putting -1 for the range, and it will become infinite.

View PostDog, on 23 June 2014 - 06:49 PM, said:

-suggestion snip-
  • so less of a peripheral, and more of an OpenBlocks style block?
  • I was considering it. We shall see how it goes.
  • I had thought about a block such as that, but after some consideration it seemed way too overpowered

View PostEngineer, on 24 June 2014 - 12:06 AM, said:

Oh, I see you started over again with the source :P
Goodluck with the mod :)
yeah the source as it was, was just annoying me to no end. haha.

#13 Dog

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationEarth orbit

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:51 AM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 24 June 2014 - 12:42 AM, said:

• so less of a peripheral, and more of an OpenBlocks style block?
  • I was considering it. We shall see how it goes.
  • I had thought about a block such as that, but after some consideration it seemed way too overpowered

1. Yes (as I typed it I started to wonder if OpenBlocks had such a thing...alas it does not). Although it's not an actual peripheral, if you consider this, do you think it would add value for the arrow to light up (either texture swap or actual light output) when redstone is applied?
2. Oooohhh...I'll think good thoughts.
3. Understood - thanks for the clarification as well.

Edited by Dog, 24 June 2014 - 12:54 AM.

#14 Konlab

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • LocationKerbin

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for adding Chat box!
I don't downloaded for example MiscPeripherals, because it's too complicated and too many items in there.(too many useless)

In this mod there is the block, that I wanted: Chat box
I love this mod!

Edited by Konlab, 24 June 2014 - 11:06 AM.

#15 H4X0RZ

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

What about a "Server Rack"? You can place multiple computers in there, they don't have any way to output text directly. But you can access it using a PDA. The amount of computers per rack could be in the config.

#16 Konlab

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • LocationKerbin

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

What about adding pocket terminals? (Similar to pocket computers, but not pocket computers)
You would have a new item called pocket terminal, if you right-click on a computer while having this terminal in your hand, the terminal will attached to computer, and then if you open the terminal you see the attached computer's files, etc. But the pocket terminal's size can be resizeable :)

#17 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

View PostKonlab, on 24 June 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

-snip-
thank you, its good to hear positive feedback so soon :) keep in mind I will be expanding and adding more blocks, but you can always disable them in the config ;)

View PostFreack100, on 24 June 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

-snip, server rack suggestion-
I'm not too sure on the validity of a server rack, it would require me implementing my own PDA for access, as well as I'm not seeing a massive purpose for this, other than just having a few computers in a single block.

View PostKonlab, on 24 June 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

-snip, pocket terminals suggestion-
I'm not quite sure I understand, is it kinda like the remote (or whatever it's called) that used to be in OpenPeripheral?

#18 Konlab

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • LocationKerbin

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 25 June 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

View PostKonlab, on 24 June 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

-snip, pocket terminals suggestion-
I'm not quite sure I understand, is it kinda like the remote (or whatever it's called) that used to be in OpenPeripheral?
I don't know which blocks has OpenPeripherals, and I thought, that this topic is about MoarPeripherals not Openperipherals.
It's a remote terminal. Like normal pocket computer but:
-Remote terminal's size can be changed
-The pocket terminal don't have files, but the attached's computer's files are there
-If you have this program in pocket teminal:
rs.setOutput("right",true)
This will set output to true at right of attached computer

#19 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

That actually sounds a lot like a "feature" from the first CC 1.6 release.

#20 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostKonlab, on 25 June 2014 - 10:19 AM, said:

I thought, that this topic is about MoarPeripherals not Openperipherals.
yes it is, but I was using it to try and find a comparison so I could understand what you were meaning

View PostKonlab, on 25 June 2014 - 10:19 AM, said:

-snip-
okay so, basically a portable monitor?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users