PocketShell 2.3 - A multitasking pocket OS - Mix and match colors!

30 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Bateman

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

PocketShell v2.3

Screenshots:
Spoiler
PocketShell's design and functionality is based around Android (but the design is still very much a WIP). I plan to make it more user friendly and get what they want easier to find (Recently used applications is a must that will be implemented), More technicality is also a want, but not as much as a priority (Partitioning, kernel functions etc.)
Features:
  • Multitasking, which also has a task manager (processlist for the time being) which you can click on each entry to jump to that process
  • A statusbar (with time) and a bar of buttons at the bottom which always show up in every app (Now testing a signal bar for GPS connections)
  • The <- button is a back button (nothing uses it right now), [] button brings you back to the shell from any other process and /\ brings up the process list.
  • Every CraftOS program has compatibility
  • All programs opened are redirected to their own process and window, so you will only be using the shell as a shell (this can be a nuisance with programs like "clear" since it redirects those too, but I'll add a blacklist in a later update)
  • Uses a heavily modified version of multishell, so anything you can do in that you can do here.
  • NEW: Added custom backgrounds, and the ability to change the bar color. You can also shutdown and reboot the device from the process manager now.
Upcoming:
  • A better design, colours and themes (Almost, will implement custom colours soon)
  • Clicking the status bar will bring up a menu, but I haven't decided what yet
  • A better use for that backbutton
This can still have bugs, but I will squish them soon enough.

Installer:
pastebin run dJhsAxpe

Please post any feedback!

Edited by Mr. Bateman, 29 August 2014 - 11:44 PM.

#2 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:07 AM

Wow you're really smashing out these programs.

Did you make a few before joining the forums?

Anyway, nice to see a few more pocket computer OSs. Looks very nice!

#3 Mr. Bateman

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

oeed, on 28 June 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

Wow you're really smashing out these programs.

Did you make a few before joining the forums?

Anyway, nice to see a few more pocket computer OSs. Looks very nice!

The only program I made before joining was the virtual file service, everything else was made after that.
I actually made this yesterday, but I was too lazy to post it until now ;)

#4 puzzletime

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

Looks pretty, I'd definitely checked this out if I had Minecraft 1.6 installed (there are reasons why I'm still on 1.5).

#5 Selim

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • LocationHiding in Online Storage

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:02 AM

Could you make it so that it does not require whitelisting any URL's?

#6 hbomb79

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • LocationOrewa, New Zealand

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:32 PM

This might be a dumb question but could someone give me a quick explanation on how to make it so a taskbar like the one in this stays ontop of windows?? does it require editing the program, I mean like oneOS im trying to make an OS and have no idea how to do any of it to be honest, but i may as well give it a shot, ive made a basic desktop but thats it...

#7 Mr. Bateman

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:51 AM

bladze420, on 04 July 2014 - 12:02 AM, said:

Could you make it so that it does not require whitelisting any URL's?
It only requires whitelisting for the installation. It would be really hard to move all the files to pastebin.

Hbomb_79, on 05 July 2014 - 11:32 PM, said:

This might be a dumb question but could someone give me a quick explanation on how to make it so a taskbar like the one in this stays ontop of windows?? does it require editing the program, I mean like oneOS im trying to make an OS and have no idea how to do any of it to be honest, but i may as well give it a shot, ive made a basic desktop but thats it...
It's more complicated than it looks. I've used an implementation of multishell, have a look into that.

#8 Mr. Bateman

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

Version 2 released, new GUI implemented.
Testing a GPS signal bar at the top left hand corner, doesn't change from 3 full bars since it's not functional (yet)
Will probably replace it with background colours instead, unless I/you come up with a better character set

#9 cdel

• Banned
  • 496 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

a good pocket os? am I dreaming? great work :D

#10 Mr. Bateman

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

Connor Delaneyy, on 16 July 2014 - 10:19 AM, said:

a good pocket os? am I dreaming? great work :D
Thanks, nice to know that someone likes my work.

#11 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

Very nice!

Haven't really used Android, well, ever; so I don't quite get the various buttons at the bottom. But yea, this is looking very, very good.

#12 flaghacker

• Members
  • 655 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

oeed, on 16 July 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

Very nice!

Haven't really used Android, well, ever; so I don't quite get the various buttons at the bottom. But yea, this is looking very, very good.

From left to right:
back (like in a browser), homescreen, previous apps
:P

#13 Mr. Bateman

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

oeed, on 16 July 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

Very nice!

Android really differs from each model of phone (and software), so you've most likely used hardware buttons (like a big one at the bottom and volume buttons on the side).
Mine are based around software buttons that are on android tablets, which explains the functions of each (I have a tablet for reference, but the use of text really limits what I can make them look like)

#14 Mr. Bateman

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Working on a new process list GUI, this is still in development so don't really expect this exactly
Posted Image
(You can terminate programs now, had to spend heaps of time fixing multishell as it was pretty broken in the first place)

#15 Mr. Bateman

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

Alternate view, I plan to make it possible to switch between these in the Settings app (which now has a purpose)
Posted Image

#16 Mr. Bateman

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

Version 2.1 released.
Thought I'd might make a changelog this time:

+Added closing programs from process list (although programs like Ink that require input about saving files before closing don't work, keep reading for more info)
+Settings app is actually useful now, only program and setting it does currently is process list with the alternate theme (as seen above) but it is modular so just about anything can build upon it
+Two new themes for process list (the old one got trashed)
+New boot process, is so quick that it doesn't (shouldn't at least) show the text it prints while loading
+Now work correctly on normal PCs

*APIs are no longer loaded via programs, boot takes care of that now
*Back button on menus are enlarged slightly and turned blue (See: Image #2)
*Pressing <- while in process list now takes you back to the previous process rather than just home
*Menus that have a blue back button at the top left now emulate the <- button when pressed when no specific function has been specified, for ease of use
*PocketShell API has new functions, but of no use to anyone who are not devs

-Removed the test page and various Twitch Plays Pokemon references from the Settings app
-Many bugs

There is a new bug that happens rarely when being idle that causes the "Too long without yielding" error, but avoiding being idle for a while (5-10 minutes is what I've guessed with what I know) should prevent it.

Things I hope to add next update:
*Logo when booting (Will only last for at maximum 2 seconds, and even then it would be able to turn off in settings)
*Proper reception indicator that functions in the top left corner
*Drag down a menu from the top that displays process statistics (Might do notifications instead and make that a separate app, process list would become too clunky)
*Processes flashing yellow in process list like in Windows 7 (8?) when a program requires attention, but this time when a program fails to terminate (Like the Ink example above) and requires attention to continue
*Auto updating, already got some code for that

Edited by ROFLCopter64bit, 21 July 2014 - 02:39 PM.

#17 Mr. Bateman

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

Version 2.2 is released. It might've been released later with more content to show, but anyway, happy birthday me.
The biggest thing is that the bug in the last update that appeared when closing apps is now fixed.

+Yellow flashing for programs that require attention before closing (looking at you Ink)

*You now can't close system apps in processlist (like Home or processlist itself, but you couldn't normally close the latter anyway)
*More error handling in Pocketshell API

New bugs:

*Ink seems to have a chance of showing "Terminated" when switched to when it flashes yellow, or just outright crashing to Home

Edited by ROFLCopter64bit, 21 July 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#18 Mr. Bateman

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

Version 2.2.1 released.
Only thing that is added is backgrounds (not changeable, yet), with the support of transparency of text of the programs on the home page, which needs tweaking.

Posted Image

(The background is cut off vertically because it's an emulator of a normal computer)

#19 Mr. Bateman

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:46 PM

Version 2.3 Changelog:
Added custom backgrounds, and the ability to change the bar color. You can also shutdown and reboot the device from the process manager now.
To use a custom background, save an NFP file (normal paint image) to "/background.nfp", and reboot. Custom bar colors are in the Settings app.

#20 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:45 PM

Mr. Bateman, on 28 June 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

PocketShell v2.3

Screenshots:
Spoiler
PocketShell's design and functionality is based around Android (but the design is still very much a WIP). I plan to make it more user friendly and get what they want easier to find (Recently used applications is a must that will be implemented), More technicality is also a want, but not as much as a priority (Partitioning, kernel functions etc.)
Features:
  • Multitasking, which also has a task manager (processlist for the time being) which you can click on each entry to jump to that process
  • A statusbar (with time) and a bar of buttons at the bottom which always show up in every app (Now testing a signal bar for GPS connections)
  • The <- button is a back button (nothing uses it right now), [] button brings you back to the shell from any other process and /\ brings up the process list.
  • Every CraftOS program has compatibility
  • All programs opened are redirected to their own process and window, so you will only be using the shell as a shell (this can be a nuisance with programs like "clear" since it redirects those too, but I'll add a blacklist in a later update)
  • Uses a heavily modified version of multishell, so anything you can do in that you can do here.
  • NEW: Added custom backgrounds, and the ability to change the bar color. You can also shutdown and reboot the device from the process manager now.
Upcoming:
  • A better design, colours and themes (Almost, will implement custom colours soon)
  • Clicking the status bar will bring up a menu, but I haven't decided what yet
  • A better use for that backbutton
This can still have bugs, but I will squish them soon enough.

Installer:
pastebin run dJhsAxpe

Please post any feedback!
At last a decent environment for Pocket Computers! Nice look as well!! +1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users