Bundled Cable API AND Direct Support

26 replies to this topic

#21 badkruka

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

View PostSquidDev, on 12 July 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

I personally feel that it is up to the mod authors to implement it, though the peripheral API. I do feel that technically 'cables' aren't redstone and shouldn't be part of the redstone API. I know this is quite an elitist view but having cables as peripherals just seems more 'correct', they're an external mod item, why should they be given special support from Dan?

I agree that Dan shouldn't support other mods cables. But I realy think that Computer Craft should have their own bundled cable since they are a very good extention of computers to be able to manipulate other blocks that allows redstone maniplulation. I use computercraft in the modpack Tekkit and there are alot of blocks there that I can interact with throu redstone.
When I started with computercraft I didn't know anything about how to code. But after I watched some youtube clip I was able to start making small programs with turtle api, redstone api and colors api.
These three api are very good for us how know nothing or very little of coding programs. For us knowing little of coding, loosing redstone api realy crippled the mod. The mod should be for us who knows very little to those who are very good at coding so I realy think that Computer Craft should have their own bundlede cables that works with redstone api and colors api.

Edited by badkruka, 04 August 2014 - 10:09 PM.

#22 flaghacker

• Members
  • 655 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

View Postbadkruka, on 04 August 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

View PostSquidDev, on 12 July 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

I personally feel that it is up to the mod authors to implement it, though the peripheral API. I do feel that technically 'cables' aren't redstone and shouldn't be part of the redstone API. I know this is quite an elitist view but having cables as peripherals just seems more 'correct', they're an external mod item, why should they be given special support from Dan?

I agree that Dan shouldn't support other mods cables. But I realy think that Computer Craft should have their own bundled cable since they are a very good extention of computers to be able to manipulate other blocks that allows redstone maniplulation. I use computercraft in the modpack Tekkit and there are alot of blocks there that I can interact with throu redstone.
When I started with computercraft I didn't know anything about how to code. But after I watched some youtube clip I was able to start making small programs with turtle api, redstone api and color api.
These three api are very good for us how know nothing or very little of coding programs. For us knowing little of coding, loosing rednet api realy crippled the mod. The mod should be for us who knows very little to those who are very good at coding so I realy think that Computer Craft should have their own bundlede cables that works with rednet api and color api.

You always typed "rednet api" instead of "redstone api", I think.

#23 badkruka

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:07 PM

View Postflaghacker, on 04 August 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

You always typed "rednet api" instead of "redstone api", I think.
Yes I ment redstone API. :)
Gonna edit my previous post.

#24 immibis

Lua God

• Members
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationWellington, New Zealand

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:54 AM

I did look into supporting RedLogic's bundled cables. CC does now have a bundled cable API (as in a Java API) so mods can register their bundled cable types. However, the way it works means that to work properly, RedLogic would need to check for adjacent computers every time it gets a block update. It could work one-way though (so computers can get, but not set, bundled cables).

#25 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:07 AM

Given that I'm only aware of one mod which uses the API thus far (which, yes, only allows getting but not setting cable values), if you've any ideas as to how it could be changed for the better now might be the time to bug Dan with them (before anyone actually gets something sorted that uses the full extent of the current version of the API).

That said, I get the impression Dan isn't going to do any more MC 1.6.4 releases, so it may be a moot point.

#26 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:14 PM

Good news, everyone! The latest release from Project Red has added bundled cable support through ComputerCraft's API. So now you can work with cables to your heart's content!

#27 ElvishJerricco

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

I don't think CC should add support for any particular mods. Instead I think you should be able to use modems as redstone output. If a wired modem is placed on a block that isn't a peripheral, when it's activated it could be given a name like "redstone_0", and in code you could do something like rs.setOutput("redstone_0", true) to output on a block or rs.setOutput("attached_peripheral_0", true) to put out a signal on a peripheral that's connected.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users