Bundled Cable API AND Direct Support

26 replies to this topic

#1 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:23 AM

So this suggestion is pretty simple, but basically mod authors have been a bit resistant to implement CC's API. This basically suggests that CC reimplements support for the popular cables like MFR and Project: Red, but keeps the API so that others can implement support for their own cables, too. That way, users can use the popular cables even though mod authors don't really care to add support, but if someone is writing a mod they can implement support themself too. Thoughts?

#2 wilcomega

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

good idea, i dont think these mod devs from other mods can be bothered to make support

#3 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

I do know the MFR people now refuse outright to use the API. It would be nice for Dan to reimplement support, but I don't know if he would want to if he saw how stubborn skyboy was being.

#4 badkruka

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

Or why don't CC make their own multichannel bundled cable like MFR's rednet cable and keep their new API for moders to add suport for their own cables?
A bundled cable like rednet cable is something that should come standard with CC since it's such a good tool to interact with other mods blocks that allows to be maniplulated with redstone power.
This way CC don't have to rely on moders to add suport for bundled cables or constantly update CC whenever a moder have changed the behaviour on their cable.
I can only see a win, win situation if CC make their own bundled cable and keep the API for other mods to add support for their own cables.

Edited by badkruka, 04 July 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#5 Cycomantis

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

I agree, I don't see why CC Bundled cables were not added ages ago. It is rather odd to have a depenancy on other mods for a feature in your mod to function. For those of us that don't use those other mods it really sucks to have to install one to just be able to use the cables...

#6 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

View PostCycomantis, on 07 July 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

I agree, I don't see why CC Bundled cables were not added ages ago. It is rather odd to have a depenancy on other mods for a feature in your mod to function. For those of us that don't use those other mods it really sucks to have to install one to just be able to use the cables...
Because ComputerCraft is about computers and not redstone.

#7 electrodude512

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

View PostEngineer, on 08 July 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

I disagree. It's about both. Computers would have little practical use (i.e. automation as opposed to pong) without a good redstone interface. Sure, turtles can move stuff around (and I think they can even flip levers), and you can use dedicated computers just for redstone outputs, but many computerized things are much easier with bundled cables, like controlling lots of train switches, actuating lots of pistons, and turning different engines on and off as necessary.

Edited by electrodude512, 08 July 2014 - 05:48 PM.

#8 Cycomantis

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:51 PM

View PostEngineer, on 08 July 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

View PostCycomantis, on 07 July 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

The Redstone API has been part of computercraft including its bunbled cable functions far longer then things such as turtles, wireless rednet, etc.. How is it not part of what ComputerCraft is meant to be used for? It was one of the oringal primary functions...

#9 Sebra

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

It was not. It was RedPower.

#10 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:18 PM

The redstone API has not always been part of CC. The redstone came first, and then redpower came along, and Dan added support for it. That was only because he was such great friends with Eloraam, and she allowed him to use her code to implement support for her bundled cables.

#11 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

This isn't really the place to debate what ComputerCraft is "about". Bundled cable support is a feature that many users depend on for their contraptions, while other users disregard them completely. It's up to dan to determine whether a suggestion is a good idea or a bad idea, and arguing over subjective opinions of what ComputerCraft is "about" won't get any of us anywhere.

#12 asie

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

I plan to add support for MFR, RedLogic and P:Red bundled cables for CC in Computronics 0.6.0.

#13 Wojbie

• Members
  • 631 posts
  • LocationKinda lost

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:58 PM

I plan to add support for MFR, RedLogic and P:Red bundled cables for CC in Computronics 0.6.0.
Thats an idea! Someone could write a mod that would bridge those 2 together using correct APIs. Not as part of some bigger mod but as small standalone mod. That way Dan200 would not need to keep hand on changes in those bundle cables mods and they would not have to implement his api if they don't want to. OpenBundles anyone? :D

Note: This was written by person that has some modding knowledge but never looked into minecraft modding and forge stuff. If my suggestion is impossible please disregard.

Edited by wojbie, 11 July 2014 - 11:06 PM.

#14 SquidDev

Frickin' laser beams | Resident Necromancer

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

I personally feel that it is up to the mod authors to implement it, though the peripheral API. I do feel that technically 'cables' aren't redstone and shouldn't be part of the redstone API. I know this is quite an elitist view but having cables as peripherals just seems more 'correct', they're an external mod item, why should they be given special support from Dan?

#15 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

The current method doesn't use the Peripheral API SquidDev. It still uses the Redstone API, you don't register cables as a peripheral, you simply provide an interface for ComputerCraft to use.

#16 sjkeegs

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

The only

View Postasie, on 11 July 2014 - 03:19 PM, said:

I'd love to see this as a a standalone module.

#17 SquidDev

Frickin' laser beams | Resident Necromancer

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 12 July 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

The current method doesn't use the Peripheral API SquidDev. It still uses the Redstone API, you don't register cables as a peripheral, you simply provide an interface for ComputerCraft to use.

I know, its just I don't understand why. Bundled cables are an external mod, the only reason I can see bundled cables are natively supported with CC is because:

View PostCranium, on 09 July 2014 - 10:18 PM, said:

He was such great friends with Eloraam, and she allowed him to use her code to implement support for her bundled cables.

I don't see people asking Dan to add support for other mods, it is normally up to the developers of the mod. Also there are far more bundled cable implementations (at least 4) than there are are computer mods (2 at the last count), it must be easier for the mod authors to write peripheral APIs then for the CC and OC devs to support ~4 cable implementations?

#18 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:55 AM

The problem with that logic is that it's like saying "Ok, in the world there are ethernet cables, coax cables, and fiber cables. I'm going to release a socket which none of them already fit into and expect their creators to modify them all so that they do fit."

Granted this isn't as crazy when talking about software compatibility, in that it's relatively easy to modify things (heck, we're even taking about modifying mods in this instance), but my point is that a MFR cable isn't the same thing as a ProjectRed bundled cable. Expecting them all to fit into the one "socket" is a bit of an "ask". If someone wants to release a product that works with USB cables, then they're generally expected to put a USB port on it...

That's not to say that the new API is a bad idea (it should cut down on maintenance work, and if just two other mod authors jump on board we'll be better off then we ever were before), and I still reckon once ComputerCraft 1.6x gets patched up to the point where it can't be used to break whatever server you put it on there'll be some interest, but ultimately any "responsibility" here rests on the shoulders of whoever wants the support. That means that if Dan or whichever other mod authors don't especially want any particular cable to work, then they don't owe it to anybody to make it do so.

#19 Wojbie

• Members
  • 631 posts
  • LocationKinda lost

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:09 AM

Exacly! And if neather side will implement this soonner or later someone will make 3th party "converter plug" to make stuff work. In the end its in developers/interested 3th party hands if it will work.

#20 asie

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

http://mc.shinonome....ki:computronics

Computronics 0.6.0 now lets you read RedLogic and Project: Red bundled cable signals directly. Writing will probably need a special adapter block (due to the way the API works), which will be added sometime later.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users