Skynet chat #SendAndReceive!

7 replies to this topic

#1 secret6timb1

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:37 PM

My very first send/receive chat program, Probably couldve been better. But this is my first send and receive(on the same screen) program.
I got inspired by other chat programs, but a lot of them I found were pretty flashy on multiplayer. So I thought "I wan't to make one without the flash!"

Posted Image( I know its not a real copyright :P)

Posted Image

You use shift to toggle capitals or symbols (symbols on the top number row)

Only letters, period, and numbers/number symbols

For some reason "!" does not work, I don't know why, Iv tried many things to get it to work

All wireless rednet is hackable no matter what. So I did not bother making security, Use wired modems or get on a server where hacking equals a ban.
I would use it on LuaLand's server, It breaks 2 rules, respect all players and greifing (griefs the programs security and disrespects the people using it)

I know it can be buggy some times, But like I said, This is my first chat program.

#FOR ADVANCED COMPUTERS ONLY#

Does not use term get size, I'm pretty sure people can read the FOR ADVANCED COMPUTERS ONLY, If they can't. well that's just sad.

Install

pastebin get Cc1tcNvv schat
pastebin get 83sR0vhg skynet.nfp

Use "schat username OtherComputerID"
max limit for username is 16
If you use a id out of bounds it will just error out.

Edited by secret6timb1, 07 August 2014 - 11:39 PM.

#2 Anavrins

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:09 AM

View Postsecret6timb1, on 07 August 2014 - 11:37 PM, said:

For some reason "!" does not work, I don't know why, Iv tried many things to get it to work
Why not use the "char" event instead of "key"?
You wouldn't have to bother with assigning all the key values for each letters/symbols.

Does not use term get size, I'm pretty sure people can read the FOR ADVANCED COMPUTERS ONLY, If they can't. well that's just sad.
What's more sad is that you didn't bother using term.getSize, there's events that detect size changes so you can adjust the screen automatically.

#3 secret6timb1

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

View PostAnavrins, on 08 August 2014 - 03:09 AM, said:

You wouldn't have to bother with assigning all the key values for each letters/symbols.

What's more sad is that you didn't bother using term.getSize, there's events that detect size changes so you can adjust the screen automatically.

I did not want to use the char event, Some people like do do the same things but different ways.

Adjust the screen automatically would mean having to change all of my set positions and make even more string subbings/gsubs for lines, I know plenty of new people that never use term.getSize because you do not have to, You want to use it for a specific thing, If other people don't want to use it for that specific thing, They can make there own.

What your saying is exactly like someone asking why a adult only minecraft server is adult only, because they WANT it to be that way.

Your just telling someone to remake everything they worked on and start over when there 100% satisfied with it :D, No respect much?

I'm just posting this here because I CAN and other people might have advanced computers and want to try it out, I'm not saying I'm not going to make a new chat with everything in it better and use term getsize for pocket pc's and turtles(plus OS'es), Just saying your just hating on it :D.

If you don't have anything nice to say don't say it, You can make kind suggestions though.

Edited by secret6timb1, 08 August 2014 - 09:13 PM.

#4 133spider

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:59 PM

As long as it runs fine, then it's good...

#5 Anavrins

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:28 AM

View Postsecret6timb1, on 08 August 2014 - 09:06 PM, said:

I'm not sure how I'm being more disrespectful than you.
You state it's for "adv. computer only" then the very next line you say that it is sad that people can't read...

I gave you a suggestion that would fix the "!" not working and possibly fix more at the same time.
I made you aware that there's an event that you could use to adapt your programs to any screens so you won't have to say it's restricted to computers screens only.
You don't any have :gsubs or :subs in your script that would be hurt by doing so.

It's alright if you don't accept suggestions, that's your choice indeed.

Edited by Anavrins, 25 August 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#6 secret6timb1

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:23 AM

"What's more sad is that you didn't bother using term.getSize, there's events that detect size changes so you can adjust the screen automatically"

That is not a suggestion.

#7 Anavrins

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

View Postsecret6timb1, on 18 September 2014 - 01:23 AM, said:

"What's more sad is that you didn't bother using term.getSize, there's events that detect size changes so you can adjust the screen automatically"
That is not a suggestion.
Oh it is, I'm simply using the same words as you.

#8 Saldor010

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe United States

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:46 PM

View Postsecret6timb1, on 08 August 2014 - 09:06 PM, said:

I did not want to use the char event, Some people like do do the same things but different ways.

Adjust the screen automatically would mean having to change all of my set positions and make even more string subbings/gsubs for lines, I know plenty of new people that never use term.getSize because you do not have to, You want to use it for a specific thing, If other people don't want to use it for that specific thing, They can make there own.

What your saying is exactly like someone asking why a adult only minecraft server is adult only, because they WANT it to be that way.

Your just telling someone to remake everything they worked on and start over when there 100% satisfied with it :D, No respect much?

I'm just posting this here because I CAN and other people might have advanced computers and want to try it out, I'm not saying I'm not going to make a new chat with everything in it better and use term getsize for pocket pc's and turtles(plus OS'es), Just saying your just hating on it :D.

If you don't have anything nice to say don't say it, You can make kind suggestions though.

.. That's kind of like saying

"Hey bob! Why are you using that old, outdated, black and white TV set, when there is a nice, new, color TV set that's even cheaper?"
"Because I want to! :angry: "

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users