Peripherals for Turtles

31 replies to this topic

#21 TechnoColt

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

Cloudy, on 07 June 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

I did have a prototype in a decompiled version of CC before I had access to the source of exactly that - but I think the crafting approach makes changes more permenant and I think it fits in more.

An alternative drawback to Turtle peripherals could be the use of the regular 3x3 inventory. Each mounted peripheral takes up a slot that would normally be used to hold items.

#22 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:20 AM

So this means letting turtles use items (other than a pickaxe), and just have the item displayed next to turtle where the pickaxe would be? This would give a lot more utility for the non-mining versions of the turtle, certainly. The ability to use chests (and other turtles) would be a particular boon. If you had non-mining turtles that could be programmed to empty out the mining turtles when they got full, and take their inventory and put it in a chest, then it would resolve a lot of concerns about the limited inventories of turtles without needing to overpower them further. You could also have turtles do things like collect lava and stuff.

#23 xuma202

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationBonn Germany

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

Cloudy Do you already have an answer from dan whether he want's to implement this. Or do we have to find someone kind creating it by him/her-self.

#24 Cloudy

Ex-Developer

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

Me and Dan are part way through implementing it (we hardly keep it secret - we talk about it openly in IRC) :-P

#25 BigSHinyToys

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

Cloudy, on 08 July 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

Me and Dan are part way through implementing it (we hardly keep it secret - we talk about it openly in IRC) :-P
Any chance we can get a sneak peek of how this is going to work?

#26 Cloudy

Ex-Developer

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

BigSHinyToys, on 08 July 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

Cloudy, on 08 July 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

Any chance we can get a sneak peek of how this is going to work?

Well the API isn't really fleshed out yet. Remember that everything is subject to change too - so don't get your hopes up. I can confirm that how it will work is by crafting - but don't worry, you can now craft all the way from a computer to a wireless mining turtle without having to lose all your data on the computer.

#27 xuma202

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationBonn Germany

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

Hopefully you can craft more than just one Peripheral into a Turtle

#28 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

Wouldn't that require a lot of new block/item IDs? Or will just one new type of turtle be able to use right-click functions, and the crafting sets the item the turtle uses?

#29 xuma202

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationBonn Germany

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

I don't think that it would require more block IDs. When you destroy a Computer and place it back down you will have the same files on it that means that for the items it's saved which id the computer had. Maybe this is done with the damage value. Just like with wool. Only problem you can't stack them.

#30 Cyclonit

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

Possible Peripherals:

Sensor Array
Provides additional functions for retrieving data about the turtles environment (e.g. greater detection distance, can retrieve block ids from blocks in front, temperature, etc.)

Chest Upgrade
Expanded inventory

#31 DarkNinja2462

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationThe 4th Dimension

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:16 AM

Like I said before, just make peripheral cards that go into the inventory, not on the BLOCK itself.

#32 limdingwen

• New Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

Yay, this is in 1.4!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users