#1 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

Posted Image

What is it:

This is an implementation of the 1981 puzzle game Sokoban (warehouse keeper in Japanese) by Thinking Rabbit for the NEC-PC. The goal is to rearrange the creates in the warehouse so they are all on the golden storage squares. You can only push the crates from behind, and only one can be pushed at a time. Sokoban puzzles are famously difficult to solve with a huge search tree. They are NP-Hard problems.

This version contains 3 level packs- the original 50 puzzles from the MS-DOS version of the game and two packs from Boxxle 1 and 2, which were both versions of the game released for the Nintendo gameboy.

Controls:

Arrows: Move your character
U: Undo the last move
R: Restart the level

Where to get it:

You can get an installer here: http://pastebin.com/5hwjT3Xe

More Levels:

The format for levels is incredibly easy- just follow the designs of those that exist. If you want to make your own, any text editor will be fine but keep the screen dimensions within those of the old levels. I haven't included a level editor, partly because of the simplicity of the format and partly because I don't think I'm capable of designing levels for this game.

For community made levels, you can find literally tens of thousands at the following website: http://www.sourcecod.../sokoban/levels
Just choose a pack you like the look of, download the TXT version of the levels to your vault/level directory and select the pack from the main menu.

Future features
- A beginners mode that shows players if a move will render a crate immovable (and the level unwinnable)
- Scrolling support for smaller monitors, bigger levels and B/W support
- A better looking level select menu (ripped right from GoldRunner and hideous)
- Faster/nicer installer. Might release this separately?

As always, comments and bug reports very welcome. Thanks for playing!

Edited by nitrogenfingers, 11 September 2014 - 05:56 PM.

#2 Mr. Bateman

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:57 PM

I remember playing this as a kid, nice to see it reborn and flourish again.

#3 TheOddByte

Lazy Coder

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:19 PM

I have a bug report, it seems the installer errors at line 9 .-.
Just a question, why does it say "Installing to the following directory: snakemaze"? :P

#4 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:16 AM

Argh, wrong file.

http://pastebin.com/5hwjT3Xe

Try that. Slow install, I have to rewrite that program...

#5 Saldor010

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe United States

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:33 PM

Very nice! One suggestion though, is either tell your players to use cd to reach the folder of the file, then open the game file, or be more descriptive when it comes to the error on line 514. Because I had to actually look into the code of the game to figure out what the heck the error meant when it said "Level directory is empty!"

#6 cdel

• Banned
  • 496 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:50 AM

is this using your gameutils api?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users