Pixels in computercraft

5 replies to this topic

#1 logsys

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:22 AM

What about making computercraft screens have pixels(not those giant thingys). Sure, it can remove support for current programs and OSes, but not if you do like this:
  • To make it simple, you would create an other API(term.write.. etc should stay. Not all users can live with creating pixel by pixel, not only because thats kinda hard, but because it also enbiggers the programs quite a lot)
  • The main screen API would be kinda erased, more like overriden, you would create a kind of driver that would allow users to deal with the old API.
This would be good to stay in the progress list(started by black and white screens, more like a "I do nothing" and look now: "We are big" - Says the advanced computer. Along with this suggestion, I am suggesting one more. Double the current disk/computer size for the code to be stored.

This is a dream I had soo much time ago... I hope you make it true. Thanks for your attention

Edited by logsys, 18 October 2014 - 09:23 AM.

#2 acepilot1122

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:55 PM

pixels have been suggested many many times... im sorry but I don't think this will happen

#3 MKlegoman357

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationKaunas, Lithuania

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:52 PM

I think the custom pixel editing implementation that was suggested here was a lot better.

#4 logsys

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

Still, you would have to make it by characters.. this wouldn't be only characters.. you would make interfaces like a real computer today, not just a cool looking character. Sooner or later this is going to be needed, otherwise the OSes will reach it maximum capacity. Users like the GUI that OSes have, and the features also, but when an OS gets out of "features" for future projects, it partially breaks the development. Partially because security updates would still be needed.

I hope there is still a LOT to run out of features.. but atleast say how the API will work, even if it comes out only in 100 versions ahead, so developers can already start developing a way to get the screen better. Also, my sugestion doesn't ask to remove the old textutils, write or print, just get a new way to write in pixels:
textutils.writePixel( color, x, y )

#5 MKlegoman357

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationKaunas, Lithuania

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:15 PM

One of the reason why Dan didn't allow to edit every pixel of the screen was because of how bigger the packets would be. Imagine if this was done: somebody starts the 'alongtimeago' movie on a monitor and ten people start to watch it. Can you imagine how much data the server should send? A lot. That is why the suggestion I linked was a better one.

#6 logsys

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:27 PM

View PostMKlegoman357, on 19 October 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

One of the reason why Dan didn't allow to edit every pixel of the screen was because of how bigger the packets would be. Imagine if this was done: somebody starts the 'alongtimeago' movie on a monitor and ten people start to watch it. Can you imagine how much data the server should send? A lot. That is why the suggestion I linked was a better one.

Good point.. You won that, but why not the servers do what they want? There exists config files.... an option to revert to old one? There is http function, right? why not a pixel function?

if pixel then
--works like normally would
else
--works like it would do now(no pixels)
end

Cause not everyone plays in servers, there are some that play single-players, and others like me that use computercraft emulator because computercraft is good and we are borred of Minecraft

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users