Nova Horizon (v1.2)

226 replies to this topic

#21 Exerro

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:14 PM

LDDestroier, on 05 November 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

I think Nova looks pretty awesome! I am a bit frustrated by the alphabetical organizing of apps though. Other than that, great job!
I'm glad you mentioned that, I was thinking of making it so apps will fill up each column rather than having a whole column for each letter. I will probably change this, unless anyone has any objections.

#22 Saldor010

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe United States

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:18 PM

awsumben13, on 05 November 2014 - 11:14 PM, said:

LDDestroier, on 05 November 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

I think Nova looks pretty awesome! I am a bit frustrated by the alphabetical organizing of apps though. Other than that, great job!
I'm glad you mentioned that, I was thinking of making it so apps will fill up each column rather than having a whole column for each letter. I will probably change this, unless anyone has any objections.

Why not make a custom desktop? So people can just drag apps to whatever column they want (including making new columns)

#23 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:20 PM

Hey, try to limit mouse movement, and definitely implement some of the OneOS programs, like the door lock for computer/PDA, and Transmit (which should be standalone too).

Also, CC is at a lack of games. One of my favorites is rednet TRON. See if you can add some awesome networking tools/games.

EDIT: Damn, I thought it was oeed making this. Whoops. Take it as a compliment

Edited by LDDestroier, 06 November 2014 - 01:24 AM.

#24 Exerro

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:32 PM

LDDestroier, on 05 November 2014 - 11:20 PM, said:

Hey oeed, try to limit mouse movement, and definitely implement some of the OneOS programs, like the door lock for computer/PDA, and Transmit (which should be standalone too).

Also, CC is at a lack of games. One of my favorites is rednet TRON. See if you can add some awesome networking tools/games.
I'm trying not to include apps that are designed for cc, as they will probably lag. For example, implementing Sketch would cause there to be Bedrock (I think it uses bedrock anyway) running inside a buffer which is rendered by my own UI system, which would lag like mad. Some things, like a doorlock program, I agree should be implemented, but I'd prefer to make my own versions of these things, at least so I can tie them in with the user system.
As for dragging around apps on the homescreen, while it is possible, is it really worth it? If I did, there would probably be a vertically scrolling homepage, and you'd be able to scroll up and down and drag apps around etc...
Other than that, I'm just going to make them stack on top of eachother and overflow to the right like now but without the categories. My original plan for that was to have custom categories, but that didn't really pan out.
And as you mention networking... http://puu.sh/cERel/b75fdec7b0.png just a little sneak peak of what's coming up. (FTP access between computers, network access using the Nova network library, stuff like that...)

#25 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:35 PM

awsumben13, on 05 November 2014 - 11:32 PM, said:

And as you mention networking... http://puu.sh/cERel/b75fdec7b0.png just a little sneak peak of what's coming up. (FTP access between computers, network access using the Nova network library, stuff like that...)

Yaay! I am happy now. TIme to build giant rednet and disknet repeaters for LuaLand...

Edited by LDDestroier, 05 November 2014 - 11:35 PM.

#26 Exerro

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:46 PM

LDDestroier, on 05 November 2014 - 11:35 PM, said:

awsumben13, on 05 November 2014 - 11:32 PM, said:

Yaay! I am happy now. TIme to build giant rednet and disknet repeaters for LuaLand...
You're going to hate me for this... it doesn't use rednet. It's based around peer-to-peer communication, like bluetooth in a way. While this may sound really bad right now, when I start making some apps that use it, you will hopefully be amazed. I have a lot planned for the networking aspect, but be patient, as it's a huge thing to implement (I've already re-written it 3 times).
It will probably be a couple of days before I start making apps that use these networking features, and weeks before there are big things like web browsers and automatic ftp drive mounting (picture the sidebar of Files, but with more things, as the support is there in the OS core to add pretty much any filesystem, even link things to online websites and they'll behave just like normal).
On the plus side, I've added a "check updates" and update installer in the Settings app, so you'll be able to download them straight away when they're out.

#27 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:56 PM

So what, does it use HTTP rather than rednet? Because it should (also) use rednet.

#28 Exerro

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:00 AM

LDDestroier, on 05 November 2014 - 11:56 PM, said:

So what, does it use HTTP rather than rednet? Because it should (also) use rednet.
It simply uses modem messages. If you don't know what I'm talking about, rednet is actually a wrapper around modems. You can wrap a modem just like any other peripheral, and then send and receive data. For example
local modem = peripheral.wrap "left" -- get the modem
modem.transmit( 1, 1, "Hello" ) -- send Hello on channel 1
modem.open( 1 ) -- open the modem to receive data on this channel
local ev = { os.pullEvent() }
while ev[1] ~= "modem_message" do -- wait for a modem message
	ev = { os.pullEvent() }
end
print( ev[5] ) -- print the message it got
So it uses this functionality to send and receive data, but also encrypts the data it's sending, which rednet doesn't do.

Edit: with the apps stacking on top of eachother, the homescreen looks like this: http://puu.sh/cETuq/c4fb0e244d.png

Edited by awsumben13, 06 November 2014 - 12:12 AM.

#29 Saldor010

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:21 AM

awsumben13, on 06 November 2014 - 12:00 AM, said:

LDDestroier, on 05 November 2014 - 11:56 PM, said:

It simply uses modem messages. If you don't know what I'm talking about, rednet is actually a wrapper around modems. You can wrap a modem just like any other peripheral, and then send and receive data. For example
local modem = peripheral.wrap "left" -- get the modem
modem.transmit( 1, 1, "Hello" ) -- send Hello on channel 1
modem.open( 1 ) -- open the modem to receive data on this channel
local ev = { os.pullEvent() }
while ev[1] ~= "modem_message" do -- wait for a modem message
	ev = { os.pullEvent() }
end
print( ev[5] ) -- print the message it got
So it uses this functionality to send and receive data, but also encrypts the data it's sending, which rednet doesn't do.

Edit: with the apps stacking on top of eachother, the homescreen looks like this: http://puu.sh/cETuq/c4fb0e244d.png

I for one like that desktop approach.

#30 Exerro

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:24 AM

Jiloacom, on 06 November 2014 - 12:21 AM, said:

awsumben13, on 06 November 2014 - 12:00 AM, said:

-snip-

I for one like that desktop approach.
Ok, guess it's staying then... I can see how it will start to look good when there are more apps, which there will certainly be.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

#31 BeaubeauFett

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:34 AM

I will try running the OS in Single player and get back to you hopefully with a log if it still does it. Thank you for what help could be given.

EDIT: It works perfect now, thank you so much for the patch :D Great OS so far from what I've seen, keep up the good work :)

Edited by BeaubeauFett, 06 November 2014 - 12:39 AM.

#32 BeaubeauFett

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:47 AM

Question, Is there a way to save a short cut to a folder to the home screen? If not, I highly suggest it lol.

#33 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:25 AM

Whoops, I overlooked the Nova creator name. I thought it was oeed that made it. Take it as a compliment, it looks great. I wonder if there's a multiboot application for OneOS and Nova as duel-boot...

#34 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:55 AM

LDDestroier, on 06 November 2014 - 01:25 AM, said:

Whoops, I overlooked the Nova creator name. I thought it was oeed that made it. Take it as a compliment, it looks great. I wonder if there's a multiboot application for OneOS and Nova as duel-boot...
Haha, yea I was a bit confused before. I have to say, it is well designed and either intentionally or accidentally has a similar took to my interfaces.

#35 Saldor010

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:41 AM

BeaubeauFett, on 06 November 2014 - 12:47 AM, said:

Question, Is there a way to save a short cut to a folder to the home screen? If not, I highly suggest it lol.

Best.
Suggestion.
Ever.

Even regular CraftOS should have a shortcut feature. It's that good. :D

#36 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:44 AM

Jiloacom, on 06 November 2014 - 02:41 AM, said:

CraftOS does have shortcuts, it's called aliases

#37 BeaubeauFett

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:38 AM

Best.
Suggestion.
Ever.

Thank you lol.

One thing I noticed though, is that I tried to run BBTetris (http://www.computerc...15878-bbtetris/) and it gave me an error, something along the line of "attempted to use null value" I can use the program just fine on the stock craftos but for some reason it doesn't work, even when I use it in the "Run" program instead of just clicking the file icon. I have yet to try any of the other games though.

once again, great os, now that i've used it a bit today, I'm starting to think I wouldn't be able to work in the computer without it. Simply amazing lol.

#38 Exerro

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:47 AM

theoriginalbit, on 06 November 2014 - 03:44 AM, said:

CraftOS does have shortcuts, it's called aliases
Not quite to the same level though, particularly as you can create shortcuts to files, folders, archives, even other shortcuts, and it all works.

BeaubeauFett, on 06 November 2014 - 06:38 AM, said:

Best.
Suggestion.
Ever.

Thank you lol.

One thing I noticed though, is that I tried to run BBTetris (http://www.computerc...15878-bbtetris/) and it gave me an error, something along the line of "attempted to use null value" I can use the program just fine on the stock craftos but for some reason it doesn't work, even when I use it in the "Run" program instead of just clicking the file icon. I have yet to try any of the other games though.

once again, great os, now that i've used it a bit today, I'm starting to think I wouldn't be able to work in the computer without it. Simply amazing lol.
The Run app uses one UI element, the UICanvas. This element tries to re-create the CraftOS environment (all the variables and stuff) nearly from scratch, so there are bound to be bugs. I'll test it with BBTetris though and see if I can get it working.
As for the shortcut on homescreen suggestion, I was trying to go for a windows-8 style homescreen, which on hindsight probably wasn't the best idea, and adding shortcuts to it right now would lead to some fairly messy code and an overall design I wouldn't be happy with. However, I do think it's a good idea, and would like to implement it, but I'm just not sure how the homescreen would look with this new layout. Maybe you could create some paint files showing what you think it should look like, so I've got a bit more to go on?

#39 BeaubeauFett

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:28 AM

Posted Image

Here's what it tells me when I try to run tetris

#40 ade125

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:35 AM

I am absolutely sure that macs have a secondary "command" (essentially windows) key.
So can you add a toggle that (like) switches Ctrl and Cmd?

Great. Bye OneOS. (sorry oeed)

How do I make apps? I would like to get some ready.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users