[MC 1.7.10][CC 1.65] startup script not executing on chunk load

22 replies to this topic

#1 infinitebrainspace

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:29 AM

I've posted this in ask a pro... and was told that this very well seems like a bug. So I'm reporting it.

I am the only user on a SMP server
player (me) spawns (logs in at) world spawn chunk location.
Computer is located inside world spawn chunk perimeter
the following script is named "startup" in the root directory
of the computer:

-- startup script
cb = peripheral.wrap("top") -- command block on top of Computer / turtle
cb.setCommand("tell @a Startup script is running")
while true do
cb.runCommand()
sleep(5)
end

-- end script

when I log in, or re-start the server and log in,
I do not receive a message from the command block.
if I right click on the computer, I immediately get a message
and another every 5 seconds after that.
I teleport to a location app. 10000 blocks away, and still
the messages come.
I log off the server, and wait 5 minutes. log back on, and no
messages are received. I wait 5 minutes while standing in the
world spawn chunk (within 5 blocks of the computer) and no messages.
I right Click on the computer, and immediately begin receiving
messages.

This does not act like I expect it to (based on earlier versions of MC / CC)

I tested this on a single user platform, and it works as expected.
I've put this script in both turtles and computers (attached to a command block)
advanced and standard versions of both.
I forced the world spawn chunk to be located at the computers location using setworldspawn.
I do not have cauldron or MCPC installed.

The following is a list of mods installed:
Minecraft Coder Pack 9.05 - 0 child mods
Forge Mod Loader 7.10.85.1236 - 0 child mods
Minecraft Forge 10.13.2.1236 -0 child mods
Computercraft 1.65 - 0 child mods

#2 LewisTehMinerz

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationMinecraft in Minecraft in Minecraft in ComputerCraft... in Minecraft

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:49 PM

I believe this is an intended feature. I play on a CC server and I have to boot up my computers unless GLaDOS is running (A computer system that MultMine built) which activates all computers on a wired network. Don't ask me how it works, it was built way before I existed on the server... Anyway, enough of that, I don't think this is a bug at all.

#3 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:21 PM

No. Computers which were on when a chunk unloaded are supposed to boot without player interaction when the chunk is loaded again.

#4 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:20 PM

Indeed, it's common behaviour across many versions of ComputerCraft, but as far as I'm aware, it's not intended behaviour for any version of ComputerCraft.

#5 infinitebrainspace

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:32 AM

So, in the end.... who makes the decision of weather this is a bug or not? My thought is that if it
works a certain way in SP, it should work the same in MP - or vise-versa. I develop and test most of my CC stuff in SP, then implement it in MP.

Anyway, what now?

#6 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:46 AM

Well, I suppose other people running the same setups as you might decide to be helpful and confirm whether they see the same behaviour as you do. And if you're very lucky, one day you might even see an update for ComputerCraft which sorts it out.

In the meantime, if you've got lots of computers you want to auto-boot, consider hooking them all together via a wired modem, and programming one system to start all the others:

local compies = {peripheral.find("computer")}

for i=1,#compies do
  compies[i].turnOn()
end

Edited by Bomb Bloke, 27 November 2014 - 12:49 AM.

#7 infinitebrainspace

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:48 PM

In this case I don't have lots of computers, but I definitely NEED this one to be active and the startup code running ANY time there are users in the overworld. I can always make sure I log out next to the computer, and tell everyone else to do the same, so when anyone logs in they can right-click the computer. (It actually does more than send a message, but I needed a simple test program).
this Is fine as long as the server doesn't crash, or we all go to the nether. Again, It behaves the way I think it should in SP client. That is why I think its a server-side bug. Another option is to have a second account with a player that just stands next to the computer. this would keep the server running all the time, and the World Spawn Chunk would never unload (except for server shutdown, and crashes) Not acceptable.

I thought this was the forum to use to report a bug, not a discussion page of weather it is a bug or not. I would think the CC developers would test it themselves, and determine what the cause is, and let us know if it is even fixable. I supplied the test code, and the scenario description well enough for them to confirm it. I don't think they would wait for other users to confirm it. When one of my clients tells me they have a problem with an application I wrote, I don't wait for confirmation, I look into it, and fix it. I understand that they are not getting paid to maintain it, and that may be reason enough to ignore it, but us programmers have a sense of pride in our product, and want it to work correctly.

Edited by infinitebrainspace, 27 November 2014 - 05:07 PM.

#8 Dragon53535

• Members
  • 973 posts
  • LocationIn the Matrix

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:31 PM

infinitebrainspace, on 27 November 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

--snip--
I thought this was the forum to use to report a bug, not a discussion page of weather it is a bug or not. I would think the CC developers would test it themselves, and determine what the cause is, and let us know if it is even fixable. I supplied the test code, and the scenario description well enough for them to confirm it. I don't think they would wait for other users to confirm it. When one of my clients tells me they have a problem with an application I wrote, I don't wait for confirmation, I look into it, and fix it. I understand that they are not getting paid to maintain it, and that may be reason enough to ignore it, but us programmers have a sense of pride in our product, and want it to work correctly.
You assume that the developer of the mod has seen this page. He's not always looking, and when he is, he tests it correctly. If you don't want to wait for it to be fixed in the next release of CC, whenever that may be, then you shouldn't complain about it not getting fixed. Updates are not pushed out every week. Perhaps when/if CC gets ported to 1.8 will this be fixed, probably not anytime sooner unless Dan decides to fix numerous bugs while keeping it 1.7.10

#9 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:09 PM

Yes, this is the forum to report a bug, and it is absolutely unintended behaviour for this to not work, so it is most definitely a bug. We appreciate you reporting it.

#10 infinitebrainspace

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:02 PM

- having trouble including a quote - but this is in response to Dragon53535

My only assumption is that this is the place to report the bug, not to discuss its validity. That was already decided in ASK A PRO forum. I responded to Bomb Blokes opinion that several users may have to confirm the bug before it came to the developers attention. That is what I "complained" about. As far as "waiting" is concerned, I'm only waiting for a response from the developer that indicates his awareness of the bug.

Now that I have cleared that up... NO MORE OPINIONS PLEASE. The validity of the bug has been decided. If you have INFORMATION regarding the status of this bug, or you have tested it yourself, please post your results. If your results are different than mine, I need to find out why (and it may be helpful to the developer).

Edited by infinitebrainspace, 01 December 2014 - 05:07 PM.

#11 KingofGamesYami

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:38 PM

infinitebrainspace, on 01 December 2014 - 05:02 PM, said:

- having trouble including a quote

I have problems with that sometimes, click on the editor before clicking the quote button. It solves the problem for me, at least.

#12 infinitebrainspace

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:09 PM

KingofGamesYami, on 01 December 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

I have problems with that sometimes, click on the editor before clicking the quote button. It solves the problem for me, at least.

I Highlighted the text, hit quote button, got your quote from me and your text.. removed your quote from me, and this is the result... kinda quirky.

anyway, this is really off topic, and doesn't belong in this thread... thanks though.

#13 CraftedCart

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom, Earth

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:36 AM

I can confirm that I'm having the same problem with the same version of ComputerCraft on a server with MCPC/Cauldron and Bukkit installed. I have a ComputerCraft notice board on a server that outputs to a monitor. The startup script runs the notice board program, however it doesn't display on chunk load, and I find out the computer isn't running, even with a startup script.

#14 Plawerth

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:01 PM

This is quite annoying when the server owner wants to use monitors as signs in the world spawn.

I have found a hack-solution to computers not auto-booting by themselves in MC 1.7.10 / CC 1.65. You need the Thermal Expansion mod installed.

Place an Autonomous Activator next to the computer, and it will poke the computer just as if you were poking it yourself. Tada, computer auto-boots now.

Posted Image

Though, this results in the computer constantly being spammed by Autonomous Activator clicks every few ticks. This might cause a tiny bit of server lag.

I believe the activator can be told to stop clicking when the computer starts.
- Autonomous Activator, Redstone control: Enabled, Required Signal: Low
- in startup script, send a redstone signal to the side where the activator is

#15 sEi

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:15 AM

I too have this 'bug' as an important problem.

I have a turtle deep in some area (sorting bot) where the player cannot access the whole area.

So if the chunck is unloaded and i want to restart the turtle i have to break blocks (chests!!!) to get access to the turtle.

Nifty solution with the Thermal Expansion mod but this server is not running that mod.

So my question here is:
Is it possible anyway with any kind of server scripting to put the freaking turtle on? I have the id and full access to the server!

or maybe any other workaround would be great.

/sEi

Edited by sEi, 08 February 2016 - 11:17 AM.

#16 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:26 PM

sEi, on 08 February 2016 - 11:15 AM, said:

I too have this 'bug' as an important problem.

I have a turtle deep in some area (sorting bot) where the player cannot access the whole area.

So if the chunck is unloaded and i want to restart the turtle i have to break blocks (chests!!!) to get access to the turtle.

Nifty solution with the Thermal Expansion mod but this server is not running that mod.

So my question here is:
Is it possible anyway with any kind of server scripting to put the freaking turtle on? I have the id and full access to the server!

or maybe any other workaround would be great.

/sEi

have a second turtle go in and turn on the sorting turtle. You will have to track the sorters location and save it to disk so that when the server restarts you can locate and restart the sorter by activating the activator turtle.

if the server doesn't restart often then use a chunk loader

Edited by Lupus590, 08 February 2016 - 01:28 PM.

#17 sEi

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:10 PM

Lupus590, on 08 February 2016 - 01:26 PM, said:

I too have this 'bug' as an important problem.,,,,,,,, [TRUNCATED]

have a second turtle go in and turn on the sorting turtle. You will have to track the sorters location and save it to disk so that when the server restarts you can locate and restart the sorter by activating the activator turtle.

if the server doesn't restart often then use a chunk loader

Thanks for your answer.

I have also been thinking about a solution like that. But in fact i have multiple turtles all over the place (farms and what not). i just used the sorting bot as the example because it is hard to reach.

And chunk loader is not an option on this server, but would help for sure!

I have never fumbled with Command Computers but could that somehow do some magic? (Gotta read up on those command computers.)

/sEi

#18 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:31 PM

sEi, on 08 February 2016 - 06:10 PM, said:

I have never fumbled with Command Computers but could that somehow do some magic? (Gotta read up on those command computers.)

/sEi

I don't think a command block (and therefore a command computer) can right click blocks, so it would not be able to activate your turtles. Also you need to be in creative and an op to use command computers.

is quadracopters an option? I've seen them complete flights over client resets on singleplayer

Edited by Lupus590, 08 February 2016 - 06:50 PM.

#19 HPWebcamAble

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • LocationWeb Development

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:16 AM

I too have this 'bug' as an important problem...

I case you aren't aware, this problem occasionally crops up. I believe it affects both SMP and SSP but I can't think of any examples of SSP having the issue off the top of my head.

It may be related to unexpected server closures (closing the server window with the X instead of typing 'stop' or '/stop', or a server crash)

#20 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:14 AM

HPWebcamAble, on 09 February 2016 - 01:16 AM, said:

I can't think of any examples of SSP having the issue off the top of my head.

I've had it in SSP, always closed the client via menu buttons.

Curiously, the same mod set-up and game profile, but different world fixed it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users