Locking of topics

6 replies to this topic

#1 jaredallard

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:09 PM

So, I've noticed over a long period of time that topics just get locked; or to be more clear on what I mean, such as the adfly topic recently posted, it was ended with "no shortened link of any kind" then immediately locked. My problem with this is that it leaves no room for future questioning. Such as, what actually defined a shortened link? You could have a miniature domain just for shorter urls. I.e my friends: mezgrman.de => mezgr.de.

The main issue I suppose I'm bringing up is that moderators lock topics of controversay incredibly quickly, without time for anyone else to bring in their own opinions, or etc and this is an issue. A forum is meant for communication; and it shouldn't be restricted so quickly. I get locking a topic because it appears to be over with, but it shouldn't be locked immediately, like how about a min of a week before it's locked.

#2 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:38 PM

Generally, topics asking for clarification on the rules are closed when the question is answered, as often there will be a half-dozen follow on posts asking what-if about unlikely situations. In this case, the rule forbids links to non-final destinations. If, in your example, the link to a shorter domain name leads directly to the actual page, it is fine. If it redirects to the actual page, it isn't. We can format links here, so there's no need to shorten them. Using redirection services therefore means you are either wanting to conceal the final destination, or monetize the path to the destination. The first reason is the bigger problem and is the reason that redirecting links are disallowed.

#3 クデル

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:47 AM

Sorry for necroing, and I have also noticed various scenarios where forum staff think it's okay to lock topics with stupid reasoning and content such as "meh" or "nah".

#4 flaghacker

• Members
  • 655 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:43 AM

View PostSandstorm, on 02 July 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:

Sorry for necroing, and I have also noticed various scenarios where forum staff think it's okay to lock topics with stupid reasoning and content such as "meh" or "nah".

I have only seen those "meh" and "nah" lock explenations in the Forum Games section. Do you have any more "serious" examples to show?

#5 クデル

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:47 AM

View Postflaghacker, on 02 July 2015 - 10:43 AM, said:

I have only seen those "meh" and "nah" lock explenations in the Forum Games section. Do you have any more "serious" examples to show?

Being a smart allec aside, I recall several topics in the generic program sections being locked for the reasons I mentioned previously.

#6 flaghacker

• Members
  • 655 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:55 AM

View PostSandstorm, on 02 July 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

Being a smart allec aside, I recall several topics in the generic program sections being locked for the reasons I mentioned previously.
I'm learning something new every day...
a smart alec
a person who is irritating because they behave as if they know everything.

Am I a 'smart allec' or are you? I really don't know, sorry.

Weird vocabulary aside, can you post some links to these topics?

EDIT: I literally just read all locked program topics back to december 2013, and I couldn't find a single "meh" lock.

Edited by flaghacker, 02 July 2015 - 12:57 PM.

#7 クデル

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:20 PM

View Postflaghacker, on 02 July 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

View PostSandstorm, on 02 July 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

I'm learning something new every day...
a smart alec
a person who is irritating because they behave as if they know everything.

Am I a 'smart allec' or are you? I really don't know, sorry.

Weird vocabulary aside, can you post some links to these topics?

EDIT: I literally just read all locked program topics back to december 2013, and I couldn't find a single "meh" lock.

Sorry if I came off rude, you may have noticed I'm from Qatar, hence my lack of English skills. It may not have been of locked, my mistake and apologies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users