A social networking system for ComputerCraft?

lua utility networking

34 replies to this topic

#1 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:47 PM

UPDATE:
This now has the API working and I am just testing the PHP scripts to make sure they output exactly what I want :D, if you wish to see the source go to my: GitHub and problems submit an issue :D

I have an idea, a social network for ComputerCraft (OTHER THAN THE FORUMS) which can be accessed via the Computers in Minecraft.

I have looked into working with the Twitter/Facebook and use it with ComputerCraft and I just thought maybe it would be cooler to have our own version as a community?

These are the ideas I have, please do tell me if you like them if not just say, any things that could be added then I can do that:

+ A login system which will of course use the CCSystems PHP scripts I made (which is what all my OS's use as well as Blaze Email Client and of course the App Store I made), this means that we don't have to keep making accounts for each online/http based program I make.

+ A tweet (Twitter) based status updates type of system, meaning we can all post tweets, tag a user in it etc. Instead of using following, we all follow each other as I feel this is a better idea as I guarantee many people won't use it so people can scroll through all the tweets, and you can go on profiles to see their tweets, and we can incorporate the hashtags as well (or make our own version).

+ Direct Messages: as blaze email client was taken down due to people misusing it, I plan to use it again but in this new program instead changing it around etc, and making it more of a direct messaging system as well as instant.

+ A small profile/bio about yourself etc, and the option to have a profile photo, this will of course be an image type that I have made as this will work with serialization and stay together upon server to computer transfers.

+ A link to view all your apps on the app store.

It's not all there yet but I wanted to know your opinions and if it is a cool idea or if you won't bother using it? Either or I would love to hear ideas to maybe make it better? etc.

Cheers,
Danny

Edited by DannySMc, 18 March 2015 - 12:18 PM.

#2 Wojbie

• Members
  • 631 posts
  • LocationKinda lost

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:20 PM

@Wojbie #Mining is done. Come get me - Your Turtle

And in seriousness it sounds like interesting if not big project. If you feel like making that? Go for it.

Edited by wojbie, 12 March 2015 - 08:23 PM.

#3 Ducky

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Location/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:27 PM

Reddit has a really good API, maybe you should write a Reddit Client?

#4 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:21 PM

I like the idea of reddit, maybe,

And not to big tbh, about a few days work, but I just want to see if people would use it:') thanks for the replies though!!

#5 _removed

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:25 PM

I'd quite like the idea of a CC social networking system, as it could be VERY useful indeed. CCBook?

#6 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:19 AM

View Postsmigger22, on 13 March 2015 - 07:25 PM, said:

I'd quite like the idea of a CC social networking system, as it could be VERY useful indeed. CCBook?

Yeah thought it would be cool :D but not sure on CCBook though, was thinking SocialNet? Make it web based too?

#7 cdel

• Banned
  • 496 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:23 AM

I have actually had a lot of experience, I have made an unreleased program which kinda functions like twitter. Anyone can post a "tweet" and anyone can view them.

#8 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:49 AM

These forums are getting ridiculously big, and there are so many independent platforms and managers and systems being used it's hard to necessarily find what you want within the hundreds of programs we have on the forums now.

Some sort of cross-platform social networking tool could be a great way to make not only projects being worked on in computercraft but existing libraries of programs more accessible to everyone in a social way. It would be a great way to connect with other developers or users of computercraft, certainly less cumbersome. Fully support this idea :)

#9 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:14 AM

View Postnitrogenfingers, on 14 March 2015 - 10:49 AM, said:

These forums are getting ridiculously big, and there are so many independent platforms and managers and systems being used it's hard to necessarily find what you want within the hundreds of programs we have on the forums now.

Some sort of cross-platform social networking tool could be a great way to make not only projects being worked on in computercraft but existing libraries of programs more accessible to everyone in a social way. It would be a great way to connect with other developers or users of computercraft, certainly less cumbersome. Fully support this idea :)

Well if you want I am looking at working on it sort of Monday, so any ideas on what we need I can start making the database and tables, and then start on the PHP scripts :P so yeah just PM me with some ideas, maybe we can make a github type of social network, allowing users to have like projects that everyone with access can update etc? Who knows, endless possibilities :D

View Postcdel, on 14 March 2015 - 02:23 AM, said:

I have actually had a lot of experience, I have made an unreleased program which kinda functions like twitter. Anyone can post a "tweet" and anyone can view them.

That's cool, have a new idea that works with a website too, I am looking at adding multiple platform ideas into one, that works on web and on CC, but it's cool you've made something like it :) post it on my store :P maybe more people will look at it? xD hoping to get it recognised tbh ;) self promotion, can't blame me ;)

An update on this post I have planned to make a lot to it adding things like twitter for posts and stuff, while adding the functionality of being able to post apps etc, but also using facebooks profile type idea while retaining the look and feel of github, maybe even add version control and stuff (exactly like git bash) xD Any ideas do post :P would be awesome to hear them ;)

#10 cdel

• Banned
  • 496 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:35 AM

I think you should just implement a bunch of protocols then make an application around that, then perhaps, people could make various programs that are all in sync with a single user base.

#11 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:42 AM

View Postcdel, on 15 March 2015 - 12:35 AM, said:

I think you should just implement a bunch of protocols then make an application around that, then perhaps, people could make various programs that are all in sync with a single user base.

My plan is to publish an API:D

#12 _removed

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:04 PM

Your probably going to say no, but I would like to help you with PHP as I have created the PHP for http://retroservices.16mb.com (im not a web developer) and am very experienced with SQL/HTML/CSS/PHP/PDO.

#13 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:14 PM

I think this would be a good idea. I'd be interested in making a client for it.

The main thing I'd like to see is a chat, with both individuals, groups and also a global chat. I'm envisaging an iMessage type thing really. It'd be good to also be able to chat online too.

So yeah, once you've got some of the web stuff done give me a yell and I can make a shiny Bedrock program for it :P

#14 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:27 AM

Yes I am gonna make the backend myself, as there is no way I'm gonna release logins and that anyone, although I shall make the API for people.

OEED: yeah that's awesome! Will give you a shout when I have the majority of the code working!:)

#15 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:43 AM

View Postoeed, on 15 March 2015 - 11:14 PM, said:

I think this would be a good idea. I'd be interested in making a client for it.

The main thing I'd like to see is a chat, with both individuals, groups and also a global chat. I'm envisaging an iMessage type thing really. It'd be good to also be able to chat online too.

So yeah, once you've got some of the web stuff done give me a yell and I can make a shiny Bedrock program for it :P

On this I have made the tables as so:
cc_profiles:
+ id
+ username
+ full_name
+ date_of_birth
+ bio
+ Forums username

cc_posts:
+ id
+ username
+ header
+ message
+ timestamp
+ origin

cc_chat_global:
+ id
+ username
+ message
+ timestamp

cc_chat_personal:
+ id
+ fromuser
+ touser
+ message

cc_chat_group:
+ id
+ groupname
+ username
+ message

cc_mail:
+ id
+ username
+ subject
+ message
+ timestamp
+ recipient

Is there anything else you wish to add?

#16 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:51 AM

View Postoeed, on 15 March 2015 - 11:14 PM, said:

- snip -

This will all work! I just need to know if you want to add anything else to the tables?

#17 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:56 AM

Timestamps for all messages would be good. The time seen would be good too. You could just have it null when not seen.

How will the mail differ from messages? It'd probably be simpler for you to just use messages rather than both. But up to you of course.

Edit: also, are you using PDO? If not I highly recommend you do.

Edited by oeed, 16 March 2015 - 11:57 AM.

#18 cdel

• Banned
  • 496 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:57 AM

on cc_profiles you may want to add "friends" or something similar so if a cc facebook existed, you wouldn't see posts from every user.

#19 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:11 PM

View Postoeed, on 16 March 2015 - 11:56 AM, said:

Timestamps for all messages would be good. The time seen would be good too. You could just have it null when not seen.

How will the mail differ from messages? It'd probably be simpler for you to just use messages rather than both. But up to you of course.

Edit: also, are you using PDO? If not I highly recommend you do.

I am using PDO :) and yeah I see yeah probably I was actually going to remake my email system :P

View Postcdel, on 16 March 2015 - 11:57 AM, said:

on cc_profiles you may want to add "friends" or something similar so if a cc facebook existed, you wouldn't see posts from every user.

A question, how do wish to save every friend as? a lua table in the database?

#20 cdel

• Banned
  • 496 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:19 PM

A single table containing all the users friends would be best, but may be difficult from the server side.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users