[WIP] [MIT] Hive - a turtle control system

turtle utility api

94 replies to this topic

Poll: Logo (Image is in post)

Do you like the logo design?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

I plan on the logo being in the program, is the size ok for this? (Current size is 7x5)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:09 PM

A Major reorganisation of everything is underway, I'm hoping to better define boundaries to the different parts (Server/Turtle/etc) of Hive. If the GitHub looks messy, this is the reason why.

WIP
Until further notice, this project should be considered work in progress and (for now) a pre-release.
That means that it may contain bugs, incomplete features, dummy commands/buttons, test code, pre-optimised development code, and other quirks.

Logo
Posted Image
Do you like it? Tell me with the poll above.

Description
Hive will be a turtle based automation system. The user can assign jobs to different turtle types, each job can consist of multiple tasks. When a turtle finishes one job, it will request another.

The typical task will contain two instructions: go to a location, run a program.
However a task can be any sequence of instructions/programs: go to a location, run program A, run program B, go to another location, run program B (again), etc.

If you still don't know what Hive is supported to do, read the use case document.

What's in a name
I decided to pick Hive as the name of this project due to the expected end result. With (say) a dozen turtles running under a Hive, your MC base would be as buzzy as a beehive. The idea is that your turtles will always be doing something (mining, tree farming, building) increasing your base's productivity.

You can help too
I invite you to help make the project, feel free to submit a script you have made or even edit one on GitHub.
If someone else has made a script that you think will be useful, feel free to submit that too (forum post links are preferable).
(I reserve the right to reject your submission, but likely won't) Also, please read the readme.

Just make an issue on the repo, if you are not sure which repo your submission should go in then make the issue on the main one.

Release information
The project as a whole is still in progress and does not have a usable version yet. When we do there will be a paste bin link which will either be the standalone program or a download and build assistant.

More information on GitHub.

Issue tracker

Collaborator Sign-up

Tutorial On Collaborating With Github

The Old Build Team

Thank you, for your patience, enthusiasm, and contributions in this large project.

Edited by Lupus590, 14 June 2017 - 01:35 PM.

#2 meelock

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:11 PM

can you help me install it, i'm bad at installing from github :(

#3 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:17 PM

Unfortunately a release version is not ready, as for installing from github, there are some installers on the forums.

When a release is ready, there will be a pastebin installer link.

Edited by Lupus590, 05 April 2015 - 01:12 AM.

#4 meelock

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:53 AM

ok thanks :P

#5 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:56 AM

View PostLupus590, on 17 March 2015 - 05:09 PM, said:

Hive is/will be a turtle based automation system. The user can assign jobs to different turtle types, each job can consist of multiple tasks. When a turtle finishes one job, it will request another, if none are available then it will go home.

The typical task will contain two instructions: go to a location, run a program.
However a task can be any sequence of instructions/programs: go to a locations, run program A, run program B, go to another location, run program B, etc.
In the future I hope to be able to have some parts of task paralleled, this will allow multiple turtles/computers to work together on one task.

Until further notice, this project should be considered work in progress and (for now) a pre-release.

I invite you to help make the project, feel free to submit a script you have made or even edit one on github.
If someone else has made a script that you think will be useful, feel free to submit that too (forum post links are preferable).
(I reserve the right to reject your submission) Also, please read the readme.

At the moment, very few of my scripts are 'in working condition'. (Maybe you can fix that?)

Code is on github.

I plan on making a downloader which will be on pastebin, but this will be when the directory system is more 'stable' (I have changed it 3 4 times now).

Real life has been keeping me busy lately, so development may be slow. If I decide to stop, then I will update this thread and/or github.

Current Collaborators: (GitHub names)
  • TheOnlyCreator (on watch for good code)

So in on helping you with this, would be awesome! Have multiple ideas as well to add and how to implement it :D

#6 Selim

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • LocationHiding in Online Storage

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:32 PM

I might use this in my ComputerCraft storage system that will be comparable with an ME system in terms of automation, crafting, and remote requesting of items.

#7 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:20 PM

View PostSelim, on 12 April 2015 - 06:32 PM, said:

I might use this in my ComputerCraft storage system that will be comparable with an ME system in terms of automation, crafting, and remote requesting of items.

I did have an idea of making a system like that, not sure if Hive will be adaptable into this. If you have success with it please share your modifications, it may end up as an "official" feature (your name can be added to the build team credits too).

#8 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:23 PM

View PostLupus590, on 12 April 2015 - 09:20 PM, said:

I did have an idea of making a system like that, not sure if Hive will be adaptable into this. If you have success with it please share your modifications, it may end up as an "official" feature (your name can be added to the build team credits too).

Hey if you want it I will code it :D

#9 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:29 PM

View PostDannySMc, on 12 April 2015 - 09:23 PM, said:

Hive is designed as a turtle automation system. While it may integrate with a CC based item storage system in future, I don't see any point implementing that until the goals of Hive are met. Let's not try to run before we have finished learning to walk stand.

By all means work on it, but I would suggest having this a secondary objective to the core functions of Hive.

#10 Cing

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:11 PM

Could you explain "Hive" a bit more
Because the only translation i know of is in like a beehive.
And how can you Add to your code from bithub?

#11 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:12 PM

View PostLupus590, on 12 April 2015 - 09:29 PM, said:

View PostDannySMc, on 12 April 2015 - 09:23 PM, said:

Hive is designed as a turtle automation system. While it may integrate with a CC based item storage system in future, I don't see any point implementing that until the goals of Hive are met. Let's not try to run before we have finished learning to walk stand.

By all means work on it, but I would suggest having this a secondary objective to the core functions of Hive.

Yes I shall add the core functions in for the server first:D I am also currently adding a full detailed documentation about the Hive on the github readme.md file so please do not push any new content up yet!!:D I will post a little and add to it fully tomorrow :DDD

#12 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:29 PM

View PostCing, on 12 April 2015 - 10:11 PM, said:

Added this for you

What's in a name
I decided to pick Hive as the name of this project due to the expected end result. With (say) a dozen turtles running under a Hive, your MC base would be as buzzy as a beehive. The idea is that your turtles will always be doing something (mining, tree farming, building) increasing your base's productivity.

As for github, https://help.github....es/fork-a-repo/ and https://help.github....a-pull-request/

Edited by Lupus590, 12 April 2015 - 10:30 PM.

#13 Selim

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • LocationHiding in Online Storage

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:32 PM

I was thinking of it as if the Turtles have a singular "Hive" mind.

#14 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:33 PM

View PostSelim, on 12 April 2015 - 11:32 PM, said:

I was thinking of it as if the Turtles have a singular "Hive" mind.

kind of that too

#15 ry00000

• Members
  • 244 posts
  • LocationComputer, Base, SwitchCraft, Cube-earth, Blockiverse, Computer

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:06 PM

Heh, you pay for bug? Like: No code's free, bugs are paid! :) :) :)

#16 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:16 PM

View Postry00000, on 17 April 2015 - 03:06 PM, said:

Pay for a bug? What?!?!

#17 ry00000

• Members
  • 244 posts
  • LocationComputer, Base, SwitchCraft, Cube-earth, Blockiverse, Computer

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:21 PM

It's on top...

"May contain free bugs." it says.

Edited by ry00000, 17 April 2015 - 03:20 PM.

#18 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:01 PM

View PostDannySMc, on 17 April 2015 - 03:16 PM, said:

Pay for a bug? What?!?!

That means that it may contain free bugs, incomplete features, dummy commands/buttons, test code, pre-optimised development code, and other quirks. "Bug, free code? Shouldn't that be: bug-free code?" "No, no, sign is correct. You pay for bug, code is free."

It's a joke with seriousness in it too. At the moment, hive is in a pre-release state, which means it may be buggy, Hive is also free. You pay for bugs with your time, as they may cause crashes and other things. The "Bug, free code..." thing is a reference to the simpsons

the "may contain free bugs" is on my profile page too

Edited by Lupus590, 17 April 2015 - 04:02 PM.

#19 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:06 PM

View PostLupus590, on 17 April 2015 - 04:01 PM, said:

View PostDannySMc, on 17 April 2015 - 03:16 PM, said:

Pay for a bug? What?!?!

That means that it may contain free bugs, incomplete features, dummy commands/buttons, test code, pre-optimised development code, and other quirks. "Bug, free code? Shouldn't that be: bug-free code?" "No, no, sign is correct. You pay for bug, code is free."

It's a joke with seriousness in it too. At the moment, hive is in a pre-release state, which means it may be buggy, Hive is also free. You pay for bugs with your time, as they may cause crashes and other things. The "Bug, free code..." thing is a reference to the simpsons

the "may contain free bugs" is on my profile page too

Oh haha, also Lupus, I have literally got a full working server system, but it is intense... So yeah it is on a constant while true do loop until told to exit, waiting for up to 49 different event codes... It literally is intense as hell.... So yeah haha :P

#20 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:09 PM

View PostDannySMc, on 17 April 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

View PostLupus590, on 17 April 2015 - 04:01 PM, said:

-snip-

Oh haha, also Lupus, I have literally got a full working server system, but it is intense... So yeah it is on a constant while true do loop until told to exit, waiting for up to 49 different event codes... It literally is intense as hell.... So yeah haha :P

I though that the event loop on that thing would be crazy, good going on the coding tough.

Also feel free to push incomplete code to github (mark it as so in the file name or something) so I can take a look/help.

Edited by Lupus590, 17 April 2015 - 04:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users