798 replies to this topic

#761 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:20 AM

ScoutCD10, on 04 January 2017 - 09:30 PM, said:

Dan promised that after Redirection release,he will start working again on CC2.0 but dan gave no news about CC2.0 so i think CC2.0 is dead for good.
Its been almost 3 months since redirection and we hadnt any news about CC2.0 Progresa

Don't think that's really fair to say. He has added some new features to the Redirection arcade, so he might still be working on it. Also keep in mind that he might've simply not been working on anything if he's off on holiday or taking a break.

#762 houseofkraft

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:32 AM

He could be on holiday but it's taking quite a long time and the alpha hasn't even been released yet and he released his video programming a Pacman 256 in CraftOS 2.0 on Oct 10th in 2015!

#763 dan200

• Administrators
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCambridge, England

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:46 AM

I have not ceased work on the new project, in fact: I finally have a concrete design planned out for what the full project is beyond the "virtual computer" at it's core. However, i've also been spending time on Redirection updates and looking for a job, as my funds are low at the moment and Redirection hasn't proved profitable enough to fund the next project on it's own.

(And yes, I took a few weeks off for Christmas)

#764 dan200

• Administrators
  • 542 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:03 PM

The plan at the moment (finances pending), is to release a prototype as soon as I can containing the bare minimum functionality of the full game, and then submit it to Steam Greenlight. If that passes, I'd like to release the game on Steam Early Access and develop it in the open from there on out.

#765 TheRockettek

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • LocationRem is best girl

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

should of made a kickstarter for redirection :^)

#766 dan200

• Administrators
  • 542 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

A KS for the new thing isn't a terrible idea honestly.

#767 mseyne

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:44 AM

Hello dan200, sorry to hear that your Redirection game didn't return enough profit to stay afloat on your own projects. (I just took a copy on steam, mostly for the arcade robot mini computer, but love the game too :) )

I just registered to say to you that I would gladly support your project on KS.

I am a pico-8 user (a fantasy console with a very active community which I believe is composed also of old computercraft fans/hackers), it is perfect for little arcade games and I dream about a kind of fantasy computer in the spirit of computercraft but in stand alone from minecraft with a plateform a bit a mix between this forum/pastbin export and the cartridge/png/splore of pico 8 to share programs on disk (not only based on steam/workshop). Well, I am pretty sure I am not alone on this, the commodore 64 / apple 2 homebrew hackers are out there and they would love a creative platform / community like this, I am sure. (and I am not even talking about the educational side of it in computing or the ease of access on cheap computer like raspberry pi or chip)

If your next project happen to be a stand alone ComputerCraft 2 with an integrated CraftOs 2 + SDK, I am pretty sure you would have a kickstarter success, then a sharing and creative community expanded and enough funds for creative freedom.

Hope you the best for your next projects.
M

Edit : Of course, to prepare a good kickstarter campaign ask a lot of energy, so I don't know what would be the most adapted to your needs, an other crowdfunding method like patreon ?

Edited by mseyne, 09 January 2017 - 02:13 PM.

#768 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:58 AM

dan200, on 06 January 2017 - 02:59 PM, said:

I would 100% support you on Kickstarter. It's also a good way to allow people to contribute more if they're able. Some people mightn't be able to contribute more than a few dollars. Personally, given enough details about it I honestly think I would be willing to pay something like $50 - $100 to help.

The fact that you mentioned putting it on Steam is interesting. If it is a game, and even if it isn't really, it does make sense somewhat to get more customers. I wouldn't be completely set on relying on Steam though for something like this. By its very nature it is the kind of thing that people want to be flexible. That's why emulators were always in such demand. Having to run a game in order to work on a project (especially when on a laptop) can be a bit annoying.

#769 FoxData

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

dan200, on 06 January 2017 - 12:03 PM, said:

The plan at the moment (finances pending), is to release a prototype as soon as I can containing the bare minimum functionality of the full game, and then submit it to Steam Greenlight. If that passes, I'd like to release the game on Steam Early Access and develop it in the open from there on out.

Minecraft mods are meant to be free!

#770 SquidDev

Frickin' laser beams | Resident Necromancer

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

FoxData, on 17 January 2017 - 04:25 PM, said:

dan200, on 06 January 2017 - 12:03 PM, said:

Minecraft mods are meant to be free!

I don't want to get too deep into the paid modding argument but, whilst Minecraft mods are legally required to be free, if that requirement was removed, I see no reason that people shouldn't charge for mods. Seeing as it is pretty clear now that CraftOS 2.0 has nothing to do with Minecraft, there is no reason that Dan shouldn't charge for this.

Also worth noting that CraftOS 2.0 is just a placeholder name. As Dan admits, it is a little confusing :).

#771 Anfred

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:05 PM

"In CraftOS2.0, something that would be helpful would be if every virtual computer (assuming it works like this) has an unmodifiable (constant) unique identifier. I think this could be useful for certain things.

Wouldn't os.getComputerID do what you want? Or do you mean unique as in all my virtual computers have a different identifiers to your ones?

Completely unique, so my computers would have different IDs to yours. That way services could utilize it to keep track of one computer from any other one."

Reply: Congratulations! Your brain just re-invented Bitcoin. Decetralized peer to peer payments are the best and only way electronic payments should be made. There are hundreds of ways to convert cash into bitcoin. And yes, craftOS2 SHOULD have Bitcoin transactions, but nobody is nagging Dan (or paying Dan) to do so. Bitcoin support would expand the # of devs infinitely!

Edited by Anfred, 26 January 2017 - 02:23 PM.

#772 apemanzilla

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

Anfred, on 26 January 2017 - 02:05 PM, said:

"Well yeah at the moment we don't know whether there is support for multiple computers. I'd be somewhat surprised if there isn't though.

Wouldn't os.getComputerID do what you want? Or do you mean unique as in all my virtual computers have a different identifiers to your ones?

Completely unique, so my computers would have different IDs to yours. That way services could utilize it to keep track of one computer from any other one.

In CraftOS2.0, something that would be helpful would be if every virtual computer (assuming it works like this) has an unmodifiable (constant) unique identifier. I think this could be useful for certain things.

Well yeah at the moment we don't know whether there is support for multiple computers. I'd be somewhat surprised if there isn't though.

Completely unique, so my computers would have different IDs to yours. That way services could utilize it to keep track of one computer from any other one."

Reply: Congratulations! Your brain just re-invented Bitcoin! Decetralized peer to peer payments are the best and only way electronic payments should be made! Good thinking! There are hundreds of ways to convert cash into bitcoin. And yes, craftOS2 SHOULD have Bitcoin transactions, but nobody is nagging Dan (or paying Dan) to do so. Bitcoin support would expand the # of devs infinitely!

Wat.

#773 Anfred

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:27 PM

Lol phone typing quotes is hard. The point is Bitcoin for craftOS 2 is a great idea. Imagine the Google play store without Google. A p2p decentralized network for file sharing and payment processing made up of craftOS 2.0 apps. Lookup the word blockchain for more explanation.

Edited by Anfred, 26 January 2017 - 02:31 PM.

#774 3d6

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency. You are describing a cooperative storage cloud, like Sia or Storj, which also utilize blockchains.

#775 Anfred

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

dan200, on 06 January 2017 - 02:59 PM, said:

If I had a bunch of money, I would pay u to release craftOS 2.0 on all platforms. Make a mobile Android/iOS version as a "backer reward" on Kickstarter and I will happily pay $20 for that reward option. Say it will support Bitcoin transactions and watch the whole thing spin wildly out of control from the amount of interest! Bitcoin devs are real thirsty for new ways to use blockchain tech. Game devs are real thirsty for solo dev environments. Combine the 2 through crowd funding and it's a mountain of cash!

Edited by Anfred, 26 January 2017 - 02:50 PM.

#776 Anfred

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:54 PM

3d6, on 26 January 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency. You are describing a cooperative storage cloud, like Sia or Storj, which also utilize blockchains.
Yup. The point is you need both to have a proper store: crypto currency and blockchain file storage.

#777 InternetUnexplorer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Locationno

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:25 PM

apemanzilla, on 26 January 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

Wat.
My thoughts exactly.

Edited by InternetUnexplorer, 26 January 2017 - 03:26 PM.

#778 Cross_Sans

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:33 PM

MindenCucc, on 19 May 2015 - 07:27 PM, said:

It looks like graphics.com ported to ComputerCraft :P graphics.setMode(19)? :D

I also think of :3

#779 Cross_Sans

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

The "CraftOS 2.0" of this project is for game development. I am really sure of that.
The font of this project is also thinking me of Apple IIgs font.

Edited by Redall, 29 January 2017 - 09:25 AM.

#780 SquidDev

Frickin' laser beams | Resident Necromancer

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:00 PM

Possibly CraftOS 2.0 related, possibly not.

On the flipside: I guess my next game will hit Early Access in a few months! I was previously going to wait for it to be "greenlight ready"

With only two grains of sand remaining, we're getting closer. Interestingly, a couple of months will bring us pretty close to this thread's two year anniversary.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users