Best tweet dan ever posted.

#782 Yarillo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

TL;DR:
  • ComputerCraft is going opensource
  • Dan200 is rejoining Frontier Developments (Planet coaster, elite dangerous)
  • CraftOS 2.0 is on the way

#783 TheZen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationHoquiam Wa

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:54 PM

"It's been 5 and a half years since I wrote the first line of CC code, and while it's been life changing, it's time to put down the pickaxe."
-Dantwohundered

Edited by KidBrine, 06 April 2017 - 10:58 PM.

#784 Gumball

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationFairbanks, Alaska

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:30 AM

It's been awhile. No updates? Anyone have any clarity on this? Thanks.

#785 Wilma456

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

You can download the Source Code here and built CC. Craft OS 2.0 is not aviable, but there are many new features.

#786 Gumball

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationFairbanks, Alaska

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:56 AM

I'm asking about CraftOS 2.0, not CC.

#787 Dave-ee Jones

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationVan Diemen's Land

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:27 AM

CraftOS 2.0 seems to have not been worked on for quite the while. Dan hasn't mentioned it in his Twitter for weeks (months maybe? Can't be bothered checking all his posts..). I hope he releases it..His Pacman 256 game looked really polished compared to what we can do with CraftOS 1.8..

Anyone heard anything?

#788 ScoutCD10

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:17 AM

https://twitter.com/...537849782689792

Dan said : "LIKO-12 is looking great,i wish i had more time to work on my virtual computer"

This means that Dan doesn't have a lot of time to work on CraftOS 2.0 and the development is slow because of that!

#789 Dave-ee Jones

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:09 AM

View PostScoutCD10, on 07 July 2017 - 08:17 AM, said:

Dan said : "LIKO-12 is looking great,i wish i had more time to work on my virtual computer"

This means that Dan doesn't have a lot of time to work on CraftOS 2.0 and the development is slow because of that!

I was wondering what the hourglass meant..Now I know.

I honestly don't see anything in the CC license that says you can't edit it..Isn't that what LIKO-12 was doing or was it because he was doing it under another name (not ComputerCraft, but LIKO-12)?

#790 KingofGamesYami

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:02 AM

https://github.com/R...go4Game/LIKO-12

#791 Dave-ee Jones

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:55 PM

View PostKingofGamesYami, on 20 July 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

Are you saying it was because it had nothing to do with ComputerCraft but something completely different, while using some of CC's code with no referencing?

#792 RamiLego4Game

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSyria,Damascus

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:25 PM

View PostDave-ee Jones, on 20 July 2017 - 06:09 AM, said:

View PostScoutCD10, on 07 July 2017 - 08:17 AM, said:

I was wondering what the hourglass meant..Now I know.

I honestly don't see anything in the CC license that says you can't edit it..Isn't that what LIKO-12 was doing or was it because he was doing it under another name (not ComputerCraft, but LIKO-12)?

It was quite confusing, I just used the pastebin program code from CC, and added references to it, but dan200 warned me about license issues, so I removed that and switched to use pastebin code from OC

Edited by RamiLego4Game, 30 August 2017 - 02:28 PM.

#793 Elttob

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:39 PM

Welp, it's been a long time since I've been here. CraftOS 2 is still not out ;-;
To suppress this crippling withdrawal (kek) I decided to completely redesign my operating system idea, from scratch. Now it looks pretty modern and isn't tightly cramped, which is cool!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The reason why I've now decided to abandon windows is that, as usual, screen area is a limited resource. Even with a bitmapped screen to play around with, there's simply no room for windows without compromises. The minimum resolution I would consider suitable for windows is VGA 640x480, where there is enough area to fit a decent amount of content within several windowed areas. It even allows for greater flexibility with font choice and UI element sizing. For now, however, the constraint is CGA 320x200, which I think is best suited to fullscreen applications. For that reason, I've designed this interface as a tablet-style interface.

It also draws on the rudimentary antialiasing techniques that I presented previously. This allows for smoother vector graphics and icons, and you can see it almost everywhere (the internet connection icon next to the clock, the rounded corners on the application tiles, the line icons, and so on). The reason why it's not additionally applied to the text is that this would decrease legibility, which is vital with low-resolution fonts which already have to be beaten into shape down to the last pixel to achieve good results. The font in the image is the same one used as in all my other concepts and is 6 pixels tall only.

Edit; I'm working on optimising these interfaces. Don't mind the large monospace font; that's Elt Monoma, a monospace font I made for higher resolution displays. It's all I had at the time.

Edited by Elttob, 30 September 2017 - 05:36 PM.

#794 Elttob

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

I've been working on those designs and optimising them for functionality, now that I have the general look I want.

Firstly, I've hand-crafted a brand new monospace font, made from scratch for the command prompt. Enter;
Posted Image

Viva Mono is a simple, small monospace font which is quite readable (with a large x-height) and it's available under the CC-BY-NC-SA license for non-commercial use: get the TTF here. It works best at 6px, without antialiasing.
Viva Mono is likely the first small font in a family of small fonts, all of which are designed and optimised to work well in CraftOS 2.0, or similar CGA environments.

Here's what the prompt looks like with Viva Mono:
Posted Image

I've also been working on the launch menu. I've adjusted the padding of the tray elements on the launch menu to line up with the tray elements while in another screen, meaning smoother animation when we get there. I've also revised the design of the app tiles; they're now more compact and it's clearer that the menu continues off-screen, rather than hiding the unused rows. There's also a pretty neat menu for when you click on your avatar. Take a look:
Posted Image

Other than those user-facing changes, I'm starting to work on the internals, such as the dispatcher and resource management.

#795 Dave-ee Jones

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:20 PM

That is really nice. Reminds me of Nintendo for some reason (Switch, maybe?)

I don't know about that Recent Window thing though, downscaling a whole screen by replacing pixels is very hard to do efficiently and for any amount of pixels. I don't think it wise.

However I do like the desktop, explorer and start menu. Very nice.

I hope CraftOS 2.0 comes with some general optimisations because I wouldn't mind legitimately using it as a lightweight Lua OS for a phone or something like that (like launching the OS from a Lua Emu or something). It would be (almost) outside the normal OS' which means undetected because you've programmed all the data it sends out and receives from scratch. It could be like an in-house OS that you're family uses or something to communicate outside of generic apps and stuff.

Not to mention something you built from scratch so it makes you feel really good using it :P

Edited by Dave-ee Jones, 01 October 2017 - 11:23 PM.

#796 InDieTasten

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:13 AM

I guess still nothingness?

#797 Emma

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Locationtmpim

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:36 PM

View PostInDieTasten, on 17 February 2018 - 12:13 AM, said:

I guess still nothingness?

Unfortunately yes. However, if you are looking for some alternatives, there are various programs which have a similar feel. Some examples include LIKO-12, PICO-8, or my personal favorite: TIC-80.

#798 LeDark Lua

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationLeLua

Posted 02 October 2018 - 04:34 PM

Creating a VM like CraftOS2 but you can code everything from scratch... even the consoles and stuff!

I was inspired by Elttob here.

Edited by LeDark Lua, 02 October 2018 - 04:35 PM.

#799 LeDark Lua

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationLeLua

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:38 PM

Soooo... I dunno if someone is seeing this, but if someone want's to help with the Virtual Machine project, I made a GitHub Repo here. Who will help add your name to the CREDITS table.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users