CraftOS 2.0 - Dan's Secret Project

computer help

798 replies to this topic

#61 Wojbie

• Members
  • 631 posts
  • LocationKinda lost

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:47 PM

__type in the metatable? How did i miss that tweet. Damn that will make some fun stuff when making api's with it.

#62 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:00 PM

View Postwojbie, on 21 May 2015 - 12:47 PM, said:

__type in the metatable? How did i miss that tweet. Damn that will make some fun stuff when making api's with it.
you've always been able to do it, its just the default type function never used it. But it was easy enough to add in by overriding the type function.

#63 Wojbie

• Members
  • 631 posts
  • LocationKinda lost

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:22 PM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 21 May 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

you've always been able to do it, its just the default type function never used it. But it was easy enough to add in by overriding the type function.
Yes true but this way is more fun. And i kinda dislike overwriting functions - you never know what errors it can cause in someone else code. But this? This is a standard and noone can rip me a new one for (ab)using it!

Edited by wojbie, 21 May 2015 - 01:29 PM.

#64 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:33 PM

Well so long as you stick to spec, none right?

This is all very exciting, but it's so clearly linked to computercraft yet almost probably not actually computercraft, it's doing my head in reading this thread...

#65 Agent Silence

• Members
  • 319 posts
  • Location[string "FindMe"]:23143: bad argument #1 to 'returnPos' (vector expected, got nil)

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:06 PM

If you take a close look at the tweet with the save icon(HERE)
The disk icon is out of line with the text, and it isn't proportional to the text.
Also, I'd think that if each of those icons took up a pixel, this and this wouldn't be possible

--UPON FURTHER INVESTIGATION--
The gfx API is most likely a reimplementation of the paintutils API
Also, new font api maybe?

Edited by Requiem of Silence, 21 May 2015 - 05:10 PM.

#66 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:31 PM

View PostRequiem of Silence, on 21 May 2015 - 05:06 PM, said:

Also, I'd think that if each of those icons took up a pixel, this and this wouldn't be possible
Unless it's an implementation of more and smaller pixels. If that's the case, then it's entirely plausible to think that those characters are created using a much higher pixel resolution.

#67 MKlegoman357

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationKaunas, Lithuania

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:41 PM

The disk icon is out of line with the text, and it isn't proportional to the text.

--UPON FURTHER INVESTIGATION--
The gfx API is most likely a reimplementation of the paintutils API
Also, new font api maybe?

If you look at the 'X' button you'll see that it is not aligned to letters (look above it). Also, this and other images clearly show that the pixels are managed separately. If this is ComputerCraft then the 'gfx' library is now the lowest level drawing API and 'term' API becomes just a wrapper to 'gfx' library to support writing of characters and for backwards compatibility. I'd say that a font API might also exist here. At least these are my speculations for now.

#68 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:05 PM

By the look of those screen shots, this is not just a custom font... ooooooo boy :D

#69 MindenCucc

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Location/home/marcus/

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:11 PM

If this secret project is not a new graphics engine for CC, it may be a custom game engine/emulator. Or a CC-ish Lua-programmed GameMaker in Minecraft perhaps?

#70 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:13 PM

View Postwojbie, on 21 May 2015 - 01:22 PM, said:

Yes true but this way is more fun.
How is a function provided by Dan more fun than the exact same function implemented yourself?

View Postnitrogenfingers, on 21 May 2015 - 01:33 PM, said:

This is all very exciting, but it's so clearly linked to computercraft yet almost probably not actually computercraft, it's doing my head in reading this thread...
Personally I'm thinking it could be a project which he could be testing new ideas/concepts on and potentially based off our reaction to that could potentially bring some (if not all) to ComputerCraft. Some things that are being done look and sound very clearly for CC others not. Some things stated also don't say they're for the secret project. There are a lot of assumptions going on in this thread, it could be possible that he is simply working on multiple things at once.

Edited by theoriginalbit, 21 May 2015 - 11:15 PM.

#71 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:03 AM

The "how primitive" example gives me the impression that it's possible to simply "draw" characters where ever you want.

#72 Wojbie

• Members
  • 631 posts
  • LocationKinda lost

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:06 AM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 21 May 2015 - 11:13 PM, said:

How is a function provided by Dan more fun than the exact same function implemented yourself?
If Dan makes it it becomes a standard for all. If I define it then in 99% of cases it will not work with other people code.

#73 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:16 AM

View Postwojbie, on 22 May 2015 - 01:06 AM, said:

If Dan makes it it becomes a standard for all. If I define it then in 99% of cases it will not work with other people code.
well you can always restore the old function, but little things like checking if there is a __type on the metatable wouldn't break anyone else's code.

Edited by theoriginalbit, 22 May 2015 - 02:16 AM.

#74 Wojbie

• Members
  • 631 posts
  • LocationKinda lost

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:31 AM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 22 May 2015 - 02:16 AM, said:

View Postwojbie, on 22 May 2015 - 01:06 AM, said:

well you can always restore the old function, but little things like checking if there is a __type on the metatable wouldn't break anyone else's code.
And what if someone else has uses _type in their programme and is expecting type to return 'table'? Then he uses his own type2 function to check if it's one he is looking for? Bam! No table from type code fails and I am to blame.

#75 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:21 AM

Uh no, but sure.

#76 Wojbie

• Members
  • 631 posts
  • LocationKinda lost

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:55 AM

Ok let's agree to disagree. Going back to topic of this thread. I believe that Dan is making modified version of Lau geared towards standalone gamemaking with awesome pixel graphics and (wild guess there) 8bit music.

#77 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:40 AM

View Postwojbie, on 22 May 2015 - 06:55 AM, said:

Ok let's agree to disagree. Going back to topic of this thread. I believe that Dan is making modified version of Lau geared towards standalone gamemaking with awesome pixel graphics and (wild guess there) 8bit music.

The main thing that makes me this that this is ComputerCraft is the beginning of this tweet. The fact that he enters it just like ComputerCraft (and that it shows adventure) strongly suggests that it's probably for CC.

#78 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:35 AM

While I'm pretty sure Dan wouldn't call it a "modified version of Lau", I still reckon it boils down to "ComputerCraft without MineCraft", justifying the addition of all sorts of things that aren't practical in the MineCraft environment. The sort of things people keep asking for in the suggestions sub-forum. (... mostly because they want to be able to do them in MineCraft, true, but still...)

The fact that it's clearly made out of ComputerCraft means nothing. Surely he'd build such a thing from the solid foundation he already has? Saves a lot of time, and its users are naturally going to want to port some of their old CC scripts over. Why wouldn't he?

By the way, Dan, if you're keeping tabs on this thread - term.blit()'s pretty cool, sparks my nostalgia chip. What're the odds that this "secret project" thing will have something similar for dealing with individual pixels?

#79 Agent Silence

• Members
  • 319 posts
  • Location[string "FindMe"]:23143: bad argument #1 to 'returnPos' (vector expected, got nil)

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:18 PM

Also, Dan(If you are reading this), if this is a standalone for CC, how will you implement rednet?

#80 ebernerd

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:42 AM

I'm not sure where ( and I'm too lazy to look ) but why does everyone seem to think "standalone"? What proof is there ( again, probably is there; too lazy to look ) that makes it standalone?

Also, the text in this tweet "Never press Ctrl again!" makes me believe it's Computercraft.
https://twitter.com/...685648589250561
Just a thought.

Edited by GLaDOS, 25 May 2015 - 04:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users