computer help

798 replies to this topic

#121 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:13 PM

Well, much progress has been made on Silica.

Most of the core system is done. Rendering (apart from a little bug you'll see below), many views, events and, just in past 30 minutes, TEXT RENDERING :D

It's kinda freakishly fast, there's never really any lag at all. Bedrock runs like a turtle compared to this, and it's 50 times the amount of pixels. We probably won't be having any beta for a while, maybe once Dan releases the beta. Things like the animated progress bar are super cool, the whole thing just feels more...real.

We just got text rendering down now, it's only bitmap at this stage though. We will have vector fonts soon, but we need to sort out the path drawing issues first. Fonts are easily defined, Ben made a converter from paint to the font format, so we'll likely have a font designing app with the OS or otherwise available. They're also not monospaced too. The font below also supports characters like åéü¢ and many more. Basically all ASCII characters (although there seems to be a small issue at the moment).

Ignore the check, menu arrow and window button symbols. They're not drawing correctly at the moment. The font's also brand new, so it'll have issues and be touched up over time.
Posted Image

So, here's to hoping very highly that Dan does in fact release this soonish.

#122 FUNCTION MAN!

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:20 PM

View Postoeed, on 28 June 2015 - 06:13 PM, said:

Most of the core system is done. Rendering (apart from a little bug you'll see below), many views, events and, just in past 30 minutes, TEXT RENDERING :D

It's kinda freakishly fast, there's never really any lag at all. Bedrock runs like a turtle compared to this, and it's 50 times the amount of pixels. We probably won't be having any beta for a while, maybe once Dan releases the beta. Things like the animated progress bar are super cool, the whole thing just feels more...real.

We just got text rendering down now, it's only bitmap at this stage though. We will have vector fonts soon, but we need to sort out the path drawing issues first. Fonts are easily defined, Ben made a converter from paint to the font format, so we'll likely have a font designing app with the OS or otherwise available. They're also not monospaced too. The font below also supports characters like åéü¢ and many more. Basically all ASCII characters (although there seems to be a small issue at the moment).

Ignore the check, menu arrow and window button symbols. They're not drawing correctly at the moment. The font's also brand new, so it'll have issues and be touched up over time.
Posted Image

Why don't you make a gitter room? it's truly a awesome chat service that allows you to have inline markdown

#123 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  • LocationYou will never find me, muhahahahahaha

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:34 PM

Posted Image

Can you show us how you modified the emulator?

#124 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:35 AM

View PostDr. Poof, on 28 June 2015 - 06:20 PM, said:

Why don't you make a gitter room? it's truly a awesome chat service that allows you to have inline markdown

Done, everyone's welcome to join. https://gitter.im/oeed/Silica

View PostCreator, on 28 June 2015 - 06:34 PM, said:

Can you show us how you modified the emulator?

Basically I just got an emulator and changed the pixels sizes and number of pixels while turning of font rendering. However, I can't give it to you because we don't have permission unfortunately.

#125 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:51 PM

Which emulator excaclty are you using? And in which file are these settings situated?

#126 Geforce Fan

• Members
  • 846 posts
  • LocationMissouri, United States, America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe 42B, Life Street, Multiverse, 4th Dimension

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:27 PM

It's kinda freakishly fast, there's never really any lag at all. Bedrock runs like a turtle compared to this, and it's 50 times the amount of pixels. We probably won't be having any beta for a while, maybe

How is it running faster than bedrock? It surely wouldn't be able to do this in real minecraft. How have you even gotten the emulator to run this fast? I am so confused!
You are rendering everything with raw pixels, not even using text. This surely cannot be faster than the current rendering!!!

Edited by Geforce Fan, 29 June 2015 - 08:28 PM.

#127 Exerro

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:59 PM

We're using some really heavily optimised drawing. Not only does it only draw changes to the screen, but most elements cache their rendering unless a change is made, so, for example, the rounded corners of the button aren't re-rendered, but drawn from a cached buffer. There is some fairly noticeable lag when moving text around on the screen though, and that'll need optimising before we release it.

#128 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:18 AM

View PostCreator, on 29 June 2015 - 06:51 PM, said:

Which emulator excaclty are you using? And in which file are these settings situated?
CC Lite, just take a look around the code, it's fairly clear. There's discussion in the Gitter chat for how to do it.

View PostGeforce Fan, on 29 June 2015 - 08:27 PM, said:

How is it running faster than bedrock? It surely wouldn't be able to do this in real minecraft. How have you even gotten the emulator to run this fast? I am so confused!
You are rendering everything with raw pixels, not even using text. This surely cannot be faster than the current rendering!!!

Well, apart from what Ben said, Bedrock was hopelessly inefficient. I didn't really know at the time, but looking back it's no wonder it's so slow. We'll have to wait and see for how it'll run in game though.

Edited by oeed, 30 June 2015 - 02:34 AM.

#129 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:12 PM

Can you share a link to the Gitter disscussion, because I really could not find it?

#130 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:26 PM

View PostCreator, on 30 June 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

Can you share a link to the Gitter disscussion, because I really could not find it?
I've linked the Silica link in my signature to it.

#131 SquidDev

Frickin' laser beams | Resident Necromancer

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:28 PM

From Dan200 on the Minecon panel:

Not a new mod but a new game but based on ComputerCraft.

So :(.

Edited by SquidDev, 05 July 2015 - 03:28 PM.

#132 MKlegoman357

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationKaunas, Lithuania

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:49 PM

View PostSquidDev, on 05 July 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

Well, Dan did say at the very start that he was working on a new project that was a game. But the good part is that it is based on CC, the APIs are probably similar too so I think the new game will come along just fine :)

#133 SquidDev

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:58 PM

View PostMKlegoman357, on 05 July 2015 - 04:49 PM, said:

Well, Dan did say at the very start that he was working on a new project that was a game. But the good part is that it is based on CC, the APIs are probably similar too so I think the new game will come along just fine :)

I'm not that fussed as long as it is backwards compatible with CC. After all most of my projects are not Minecraft related and so would work on it. It is still going to be very, very cool.

#134 Starup85

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:08 PM

what is the date you have finished making Silica? Sorry for bad english :P .

#135 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:53 PM

I wonder if he would consider adding some of the new features in the game into MC-CC (MineCraft ComputerCraft). Perhaps we could still get the pixel stuff this thread was about, just need efficient render code.

(Suggestion for dan200, open computers may have a good way, I don't actually know as I haven't looked at their source. But it's an idea, it could also help with the Lua update that has been hinted to be in the works.)

Edited by Lupus590, 05 July 2015 - 06:54 PM.

#136 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:32 PM

Honestly I don't care if this is Minecraft or not, I am in it for the programming ;)

#137 jerimo

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:45 PM

View PostLupus590, on 05 July 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

I wonder if he would consider adding some of the new features in the game into MC-CC (MineCraft ComputerCraft). Perhaps we could still get the pixel stuff this thread was about, just need efficient render code.

(Suggestion for dan200, open computers may have a good way, I don't actually know as I haven't looked at their source. But it's an idea, it could also help with the Lua update that has been hinted to be in the works.)
Worst case they could also make a new peripheral with higher resolution?

#138 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:41 AM

View PostSquidDev, on 05 July 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

Was it recorded, or were you there in person?

You know, depending on what form it takes, it could be better. If it's simply running like most emulators at the moment, then to be honest I might be a little disappointed. But if it's something where you can actually go around and interact with stuff or even like Infinifactory (which Dan has been playing a lot recently), that'd be cool. It would just seem a step backward if all it was was essentially an emulator. Excited to see where it leads... and hoping to hear some more specifics *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* ;)

View PostStarup85, on 05 July 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

what is the date you have finished making Silica? Sorry for bad english :P .
Well, it probably won't be that much longer. Maybe a few weeks, but we can't give any guarantees. There is a reasonably high chance we'll release it after the OS, just so it's been heavily tested and bug free. We've been assuming for sometime that the thing that'll hold us up the most will actually be Dan releasing this, and if this new game is rather ambiguous it might be a while.

Edited by oeed, 06 July 2015 - 12:43 AM.

#139 SquidDev

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:58 PM

View Postoeed, on 06 July 2015 - 12:41 AM, said:

Was it recorded, or were you there in person?

It was being streamed on twitch, I don't think there was a permanent recording of it though.

#140 クデル

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:43 PM

I can just imagine dan looking upon this thread, "heh, they think i'm going to release it".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users