GPS Minimap v1.3.9 - Graphical Minimap for your PDA! Advanced/Regular! See other clients on the screen!

utility

46 replies to this topic

#1 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:56 AM

Have you ever wanted to find your way around a place with a GPS program, but all the other programs are just too basic? Have you ever wanted to get a Zan's Minimap-esque map for a pocket computer? Are you cool, gosh darn it? Well look no further than

Map v1.3.9

A GPS minimap for yer pocket computers!

This runs on Pocket Computers, advanced or otherwise. It also runs on block computers, but why one would do that would elude me.
As with all GPS programs, you need a wireless modem and a working GPS server within rednet range. And the GUI is quite sexy if I do say so myself.

Version 1.3.9
pastebin get x9ajKSc0 map
If you have barely any space on your computer, do this one instead. It functions exactly as the normal version.
pastebin get AJfSisNg map
It will download it to a variable, then run it using loadstring().

Older version(s):
Spoiler

Syntax:
map   --Will start map normally.
map cc	--Will clear config settings, like scale factor or what kind of label is displayed. Won't start map.
map cw	--Will delete all waypoints. Won't start map.
map oc	 --Will open config file
map fast	 --Will enable term.redirect(term.native()). Will screw with the 'bg' command and monitors.
map update	 --Will update map to the latest version.

New screenshots!
Spoiler

Upcoming Features:
Spoiler

Changelog:
Spoiler

Get to this post quicker with this link! http://bit.ly/1zPQip3

If you get an error when running a newer version of Map after having used a previous version of Map, then do 'map cc'. It will clear your config, and when you next run it, will get it to the latest format.

I had posted this in the hopes that someone like oeed or awsumben13 would remake this into a fancy product, but I've got that done pretty well. For the Phoenix/Silica tablets, huzzah.

You can contract this with STD! Inject it here!

Edited by LDDestroier, 05 April 2016 - 04:23 PM.

#2 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:41 AM

I actually might make this into a proper standalone program, making it so you can monitor other players that are using the program on my server... Hmm nice job!

#3 Exerro

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:31 PM

View PostLDDestroier, on 28 April 2015 - 02:56 AM, said:

I am posting this in the hopes that someone like oeed or awsumben13 remakes this into a fancy product. Please do, by the way. For the Nova/OneOS tablets, huzzah.

Heh, I did think of something like this before, but never got round to it. Nice little program though, although it could do with a little touch of colour (even if it is just a plain green background for the screen).

#4 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:48 PM

Ahahaha! Now it works awesomely! Here is a small list of changes:

Spoiler

How do you like that? And it all could've happened sooner had I learned that I had to serialize and unserialize tables when writing to files.
Enjoy! Please list any bugs or suggestions and I'll be happy to dismiss them!

Update! Just fixed a problem that crashes Map when first ran at startup.

Update! Found out that 'm' did nothing, made it work as intended. Now it is 'L', and it toggles whether waypoints' labels are their names or their distances to you.

New update! Small changelist:

*Changed exit text to include pastebin code, if it needs updating
+Added help option to include quick facts about Map.
+Made Map more accurate, changing a math.floor() to math.ceil()

Why does nobody respond??

Edited by Lyqyd, 09 May 2015 - 08:47 PM.

#5 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:21 PM

Funny, my update list broke? Well here's a slightly newer update post:
+Added help option (keybind: 'H')
+Improved rerendering of screen, now just rerenders inside of map and one character left, right, and up of screen.
*Fixed graphical bug where waypoints flicker a LOT. Now they flicker when moving only.
+Added ability to change scale factor with numpad + and -
+Increased speed by doing term.redirect(term.native())
*Changed exit text to display pastebin code in case it is forgotten.
+Added indicator on bottom left of map to show current scale factor.
*Fixed broken delete function, which errored when inputted an unknown waypoint name.
*Waypoint labels can now be seen when waypoint point is off the map
*Fixed some graphical bugs with the screen being red when disconnected from GPS. Now works fine.
*Fixed graphical bug where, if label goes past right side of screen, it appears one line down and all the way to the left.

It's an improvement. I did fix some graphical bugs. Also, this list has changed many times as I fixed some things and added other things.
Also, why does no one respond? My program is awesome!

Edited by LDDestroier, 10 May 2015 - 12:44 PM.

#6 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

Newish update. Everything from 1.2.1 except the format of the config file has been changed to be more readable and therefore less likely to fail.
Changelist:
*Changed config format to be more modular, and readable.
*Fixed bug where, on first time running Map on normal computer, map area is solid white even when connected.
+Added option to easily edit config (default: 'o')
*Fixed bug where it fails if ran at startup. Apparently 'startup' doesn't like local functions.
*Fixed graphical bug where, if disconnected from GPS and then reconnected, bottom of the screen stays red.
+Added new option, 'map mon', which allows Map to be ran on monitors, for whatever reason.
*Changed default options in creating/deleting waypoints, as well as cancelling when entered nothing when setting scale.

Everybody who already downloaded map, redownload it and do 'map cc' to fix the config.

Edited by LDDestroier, 10 May 2015 - 04:15 PM.

#7 Robotonic

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, U.K.

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:56 PM

I think it's a pretty cool program, seems to be quite useful but there's some odd things that happen, like how the scale gets to ridiculously long decimals and how the zoom + and - buttons require the number row - key for zooming out and the numpad + key for zooming in. Otherwise however, it seems pretty good and I think you should continue with it.

I haven't used it much but it seems like it could be useful in a decent amount of situations.

#8 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:28 PM

View PostPhyzgun, on 10 May 2015 - 01:56 PM, said:

I think it's a pretty cool program, seems to be quite useful but there's some odd things that happen, like how the scale gets to ridiculously long decimals and how the zoom + and - buttons require the number row - key for zooming out and the numpad + key for zooming in. Otherwise however, it seems pretty good and I think you should continue with it.

I haven't used it much but it seems like it could be useful in a decent amount of situations.

I fixed the problem of the numpad minus key not working, and as for the long decimals in the scale, that's intentional because it multiplies the scale factor by 1.1 or divides by 1.1 to change it, so you don't get a negative scale. If I rounded the scale factor, then it would either never change (because 1 * 1.1 rounds to 1), or would never multiply back to 1. Right now, if you make it too small with the minus key, then it doesn't QUITE go back to one, but that's not a major issue. I also increased the speed of rendering of the program, so now it works much faster. The + and - keys no longer make the waypoints flicker!

If you think it would make it look better, I can have the scale indicator display the scale rounded to the hundredths place.

Edited by LDDestroier, 10 May 2015 - 03:48 PM.

#9 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:04 PM

I'm really surprised, why aren't people even commenting on my program since I updated it to a usable form?? I made a minimap! It even works!

#10 MindenCucc

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Location/home/marcus/

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:40 PM

Hmm... It looks neat! This definitely won't slow my game like every minimap does. Also, if MC would start a bit faster, I would comment on all the things that are more useful ingame than in an emulator.

//off-topic: mentioning startup times: MC vs emulator: 237secs vs ~4-7secs (yes, I've monitored these values in Process Explorer)
After ~10mins of randomly freezing, I've FINALLY got a chance to try out your program.

Holy cow! This is amazing! :lol: I wish Dan would add the option to render tablets (or PDAs) like maps. The thing I like the most is that little barely-noticable detail, that the arrow points in the direction of your last momentum.
The only thing that is a bit confusing, is the config. You should add some comments to the config. Like I was wondering that what does the spoofMode do?

I think I'll write a mod just to be able to render tablets on the side of the screen, or something. :P

Edit: I found a bug, lol :D
Spoiler

Edit: found another bug after ~16secs :P
Set spoofMode to true in the config, save, exit, and the program will crash with this:
I'm unable to reproduce it again. And I forgot the line number :wacko:
The spoofMode seems to be unimplemented/buggy. The rest works great :D

Edited by MindenCucc, 14 May 2015 - 05:55 PM.

#11 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:19 PM

Wait, where's the bug you found? Because the 'hoem' label is supposed to overlap the border. And as for config, yes I should add comments! BTW, spoofMode makes it so you can test the program inside an emulator, faking movement with the arrow keys. Thanks for the feedback!

Oh right, there IS a bug when going from not spoofMode to spoofMode. and it's because fakeX...fakeZ wasn't defined...I'll fix that.

Edit: Added comments to the config, and made it not error when going into spoofMode from 'o' button.

Edited by LDDestroier, 15 May 2015 - 11:37 AM.

#12 MindenCucc

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Location/home/marcus/

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:16 PM

View PostLDDestroier, on 14 May 2015 - 07:19 PM, said:

Wait, where's the bug you found? Because the 'hoem' label is supposed to overlap the border.

Oh really? Nevermind then :P

#13 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:45 PM

I added comments in the default config and fixed a bug where if you start Map not in spoofMode, then switch spoofMode = true in the config, it'll crash.
This was brought to attention by MindenCucc. Danke!

#14 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

New update! Now the config file will be located in the directory where 'map' is being ran in. This is to make 'map' Strafe-complient.

Now added screenshots, because a single, very outdated screenshot doesn't sell very well.

#15 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:52 PM

New update, sorta. Looked over a bit of the code, now it should not flicker when not moving. Also added deadzone for the direction indicator.

Edited by LDDestroier, 27 May 2015 - 11:00 PM.

#16 Pyuu

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:41 PM

This really deserves more attention.
Nice work!

#17 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:48 PM

View PostMayushii, on 29 May 2015 - 08:41 PM, said:

Nice work!
Thanks! I really was expecting more people to comment than I would.

#18 MindenCucc

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Location/home/marcus/

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:08 AM

View PostLDDestroier, on 30 May 2015 - 11:48 PM, said:

View PostMayushii, on 29 May 2015 - 08:41 PM, said:

Nice work!
Thanks! I really was expecting more people to comment than I would.
I don't know, but it may be because most of the people use minimap mods, and that's good for them, but some people (like me) have bad computers, and running a client with/without a minimap is a huge difference (9/26 fps pls). And since you don't need anything cheaty things to set this up (okay, except setting the range of modems to ~2.1mrd blocks), this is a better alternative. And it does not affect the performance. I wish Dan would add a maprenderer to the pocket computers :P

Edited by MindenCucc, 31 May 2015 - 07:10 AM.

#19 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:41 AM

Wow, I didn't know minimaps used that much cpu. And what do you mean adding a 'maprenderer' to the pocket computers? Do you mean a default program like mine? Because my program being added as at least a treasure disk would be an honor.

#20 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:10 PM

New update! Added argument to update the program to the latest version, so you (and I) don't have to redownload it from pastebin every time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users