OpenTerminalOS is dead.

157 replies to this topic

#41 ry00000

• Members
  • 244 posts
  • LocationComputer, Base, SwitchCraft, Cube-earth, Blockiverse, Computer

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:35 PM

Ah. So I'll be able to disable some functions in OTOS Managed?

#42 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:46 PM

ry00000, on 03 June 2015 - 01:35 PM, said:

Ah. So I'll be able to disable some functions in OTOS Managed?

That's the idea, although I'm not sure whether I'll end up making that or if I'll make add-ons be able to do that.

Also development will resume today, it's been in a bit of a hiatus because finals but luckily the difficult finals are over so I can get back to working on the OS.

#43 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:23 PM

Creator, on 01 June 2015 - 10:15 PM, said:

This OS is actually going places, not where all the NDF Jay startup programs went - oblivion.

Mind elaborating? I've heard the term "NDF-Jay clone" but don't really know where it comes from...

#44 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:26 PM

cyanisaac, on 03 June 2015 - 11:23 PM, said:

This OS is actually going places, not where all the NDF Jay startup programs went - oblivion.

Mind elaborating? I've heard the term "NDF-Jay clone" but don't really know where it comes from...
A person named NDF-Jay made an OS tutorial series on YouTube, and a lot of people watched it and copied his OS almost exactly, but each "clone" has small differences but the same code. Now, "NDF-Jay clone" OSes are spread all over the forums, all very similar to the original NDFOS.

Edited by Atenefyr, 03 June 2015 - 11:29 PM.

#45 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 04 June 2015 - 04:34 PM

Atenefyr, on 03 June 2015 - 11:26 PM, said:

cyanisaac, on 03 June 2015 - 11:23 PM, said:

A person named NDF-Jay made an OS tutorial series on YouTube, and a lot of people watched it and copied his OS almost exactly, but each "clone" has small differences but the same code. Now, "NDF-Jay clone" OSes are spread all over the forums, all very similar to the original NDFOS.

Yikes, that practically makes me cringe, who would want to copy another person's code and follow a tutorial to do it, especially a video tutorial lol

#46 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 04:36 PM

cyanisaac, on 04 June 2015 - 04:34 PM, said:

Yikes, that practically makes me cringe, who would want to copy another person's code and follow a tutorial to do it, especially a video tutorial lol
dreams of making a popular OS like OneOS or Nova Horizon, and having no skill to do such :P

Either way, Creator is right, this OS is nowhere near an NDF-Jay clone and is really getting somewhere with development.

Edited by Atenefyr, 04 June 2015 - 04:46 PM.

#47 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:57 PM

Atenefyr, on 04 June 2015 - 04:36 PM, said:

cyanisaac, on 04 June 2015 - 04:34 PM, said:

dreams of making a popular OS like OneOS or Nova Horizon, and having no skill to do such :P

Either way, Creator is right, this OS is nowhere near an NDF-Jay clone and is really getting somewhere with development.

Haha thanks. I feel like I'm not personally giving this enough attention, but if you guys really think this is going well, well then I guess I should step up to my personal goals and get this OS going.

That being said, there won't be an update this weekend either (sorry) because it's been busy the last few weeks. But I'll make sure to give you guys one hell of an update next weekend :D.

Anyways, to work!

#48 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:50 PM

Also a PSA: The dev branch is my inefficent method of testing my code as I make changes, so I can push it from the editor to pastebin to all of my computers. It's not even really a build, it's like tiny little microtesting.

That being said NEVER USE IT UNLESS YOU ARE EXPECTING INCOMPLETENESS OF MAJOR THINGS AND STUFF BREAKING CONSTANTLY! It really is not intended to be published, I link it so that I can stay true to calling it open source.

#49 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:46 PM

Oh, by the way, your website linked at http://pastebin.com/u/cyanisaac ending with ".tk" redirects to a scam site.

Edited by Atenefyr, 04 June 2015 - 08:46 PM.

#50 Pyuu

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:53 PM

cyanisaac, on 02 May 2015 - 10:00 PM, said:

-snippy-

I wish there were screenshots. It's simply too easy to implement and so efficient in advertising!
Welcome to CC (though I could say this about myself).

I saw something a bit concerning when I looked at your pastebin.
It looks like the entire OS is file by file downloaded off of Pastebin, hmm.
This could pose some issues, especially for server owners whose HTTP APIs are enabled,
the reason for this is: If one program sends enough requests to pastebin or the server operator goes to pastebin too much, then pastebin won't be available for that server because Connection Timesout (temporary ban), meaning people who repeatedly use your OS will end up causing Pastebin to throw a hissy fit, and no one wants that :c

So, here is what I'm gonna suggest (for faster connection times / live updates / good stuff).
Dropbox

On this, you get an account for free with free storage, a nice handy dandy app that uploads stuff automatically without having to go to pastebin, and a splendid upload / download speed and a Public download link that allows you to link everything you have there and connect to CC.

Isn't that just wonderful?

Edit: It would appear instead of updating your main post, you seem to be replying to your own thread with the update information. So this post may not even be relevant to you anymore.

Edited by Mayushii, 04 June 2015 - 09:55 PM.

#51 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  • LocationYou will never find me, muhahahahahaha

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:03 PM

Or you could use Compress to pack it into one file and then automatically unpack it once it is downloaded.

#52 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:06 PM

If we're on the topic of better file hosting, Github and packaging tools such as Compress (haha didn't ninja me Creator) and Zippy are fabulous aswell

Edited by Atenefyr, 04 June 2015 - 10:08 PM.

#53 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:59 PM

Atenefyr, on 04 June 2015 - 08:46 PM, said:

Oh, by the way, your website linked at http://pastebin.com/u/cyanisaac ending with ".tk" redirects to a scam site.

Ah frack I forgot to renew that free .tk domain, let me go update that :( i liked that domain too.

Mayushii, on 04 June 2015 - 09:53 PM, said:

cyanisaac, on 02 May 2015 - 10:00 PM, said:

-snippy-

I wish there were screenshots. It's simply too easy to implement and so efficient in advertising!
Welcome to CC (though I could say this about myself).

I saw something a bit concerning when I looked at your pastebin.
It looks like the entire OS is file by file downloaded off of Pastebin, hmm.
This could pose some issues, especially for server owners whose HTTP APIs are enabled,
the reason for this is: If one program sends enough requests to pastebin or the server operator goes to pastebin too much, then pastebin won't be available for that server because Connection Timesout (temporary ban), meaning people who repeatedly use your OS will end up causing Pastebin to throw a hissy fit, and no one wants that :c

So, here is what I'm gonna suggest (for faster connection times / live updates / good stuff).
Dropbox

On this, you get an account for free with free storage, a nice handy dandy app that uploads stuff automatically without having to go to pastebin, and a splendid upload / download speed and a Public download link that allows you to link everything you have there and connect to CC.

Isn't that just wonderful?

Edit: It would appear instead of updating your main post, you seem to be replying to your own thread with the update information. So this post may not even be relevant to you anymore.

Creator, on 04 June 2015 - 10:03 PM, said:

Or you could use Compress to pack it into one file and then automatically unpack it once it is downloaded.

Atenefyr, on 04 June 2015 - 10:06 PM, said:

If we're on the topic of better file hosting, Github and packaging tools such as Compress (haha didn't ninja me Creator) and Zippy are fabulous aswell

WOWZA LOTS OF FEEDBACK AND THIS TOPIC IS HOT! (lel)

But yes this was going to be a change I made, although it will stay file for file in the dev pastebin, I will be making it into a single-file installation (though I guess I'll need to figure out another system for my file integrity check thing :/ maybe that'll wait for S4).

And thank you guys for really following my OS, it's warming my heart :D and kicking me in the butt a bit to actually develop something :P

#54 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:22 PM

cyanisaac, on 05 June 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

Ah frack I forgot to renew that free .tk domain, let me go update that :( i liked that domain too.
if it redirects to a scam site when it expires, you really shouldn't have even made it

But yes this was going to be a change I made, although it will stay file for file in the dev pastebin, I will be making it into a single-file installation (though I guess I'll need to figure out another system for my file integrity check thing :/ maybe that'll wait for S4).
Cool stuff ^^

And thank you guys for really following my OS, it's warming my heart :D and kicking me in the butt a bit to actually develop something :P
That's the point of this forum, to help each other develop :P

Edited by Atenefyr, 05 June 2015 - 04:24 PM.

#55 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:03 PM

Atenefyr, on 05 June 2015 - 04:22 PM, said:

if it redirects to a scam site when it expires, you really shouldn't have even made it

Cool stuff ^^

That's the point of this forum, to help each other develop :P

I didn't know it would redirect to a scam site, lol.

#56 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 06 June 2015 - 03:00 AM

By the way, for all your noncolored computer needs try OOS by ProjectB. I know this might seem like an unwarranted shoutout, but basically I like this OS. It's simple and makes very few changes, is very stable (unless Bowie goofs up :P), is made by my best friend, works great on noncolored computers, AND doesn't muck with stuff it shouldn't. It has a serious lack of attention, so while you're waiting for me to cook up S3 why don't you go and give it some looooove? :D

#57 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 02:26 PM

cyanisaac, on 06 June 2015 - 03:00 AM, said:

By the way, for all your noncolored computer needs try OOS by ProjectB
One of my older programs, NoColor, serves this exact purpose

Edited by Atenefyr, 06 June 2015 - 02:26 PM.

#58 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 06 June 2015 - 03:43 PM

Atenefyr, on 06 June 2015 - 02:26 PM, said:

cyanisaac, on 06 June 2015 - 03:00 AM, said:

By the way, for all your noncolored computer needs try OOS by ProjectB
One of my older programs, NoColor, serves this exact purpose

No, it doesn't do that (I think). OOS adds in highlighting of lines and stuff, making it easier to read.

#59 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 03:49 PM

cyanisaac, on 06 June 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

No, it doesn't do that (I think). OOS adds in highlighting of lines and stuff, making it easier to read.
I'm saying NoColor would allow OTOS to be used on non-colored computers, not saying O would be better with NoColor. :)

#60 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:43 PM

Atenefyr, on 06 June 2015 - 03:49 PM, said:

cyanisaac, on 06 June 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

I'm saying NoColor would allow OTOS to be used on non-colored computers, not saying O would be better with NoColor. :)

Yeah, I don't think I'll include support for this, mainly because OpenTerminalOS is not really optimized for it. More likely is that I'll release a modification of O[OS] to have some of the features OpenTerminalOS has (mainly, also, OpenTerminalOS has theming. B&W Sorta breaks that xD)

EDIT: ALSO I don't like startup hijacking xD, this will be broken by the filesystem shield later on :P

Edited by cyanisaac, 06 June 2015 - 10:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users