Post the status of your WIP project!

139 replies to this topic

#1 CrazedProgrammer

• Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationWageningen, The Netherlands

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:45 AM

I know many members on this forum have an awesome project that isn't completed yet,
and they don't have a proper place to post teasers nor updates if the project doesn't have a working version.
That's why I made this topic.
You can post all information about your WIP projects here!
It would be great if you provided screenshots or videos and if you left feedback at other people's WIP projects.
You don't have to post code nor a working version.

(I hope the admins like this too)

Edited by CrazedProgrammer, 15 May 2015 - 12:56 PM.

#2 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  • LocationYou will never find me, muhahahahahaha

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:12 PM

I am currently working on OmniOS.

The features, as for now, are:
- multitasking
- monitor support meaning that programs can exclusively run on a monitor
- path mounting, virtual file system
- sandboxing
- Interact
- screen buffer
Lots more.
I'll add screenshots later since I am on mobile now.

#3 CrazedProgrammer

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:21 PM

GridOS is an all-in-one-file OS with windowing, multitasking and a lot more!
It supports all CraftOS programs because it acts like a multishell program and API.
Here is a screenshot of the current, somewhat working version:
Posted Image
You can't move or resize windows yet and you can't click on the taskbar (except for the Grid button) yet.
There will also be a start menu, desktop shortcuts and skin support.
It doesn't include its own programs, but you can currently launch shell and work from there.
You can get it on GitHub (please note that this is a test version, it's nowhere near completed):
https://github.com/C...ogrammer/GridOS

#4 SquidDev

Frickin' laser beams | Resident Necromancer

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

This could take some time. Most of these are on the back burner at the moment.

CC-Tweaks
Currently rewriting ComputerCraft's network API to provide an API for others to write custom network components. Making pretty good progress, ElvishJerricco is rewriting much of the code to use a grid based system.
There are some snapshots here.
Posted Image

Cobalt/CCStudio
Attempt at another Computer Craft emulator. Kinda stalled since I started working on CC-Tweaks again.

BlueShinyRocks
Lua Rocks for ComputerCraft, basically another package manager with a compatibility layer so most 'vanilla Lua' programs run in CC. I've got the compatibility layer working, haven't started on installation yet.

JavascriptInLua
Attempt at converting Javascript to Lua code, no practical applications, very little work done on it.

Taken
A game based on Untrusted. Command computers generate a hostile map for you to complete, and you must edit the generation code so you can complete it, however most of the code is read only so you have to think cleverly about it. I managed to get most of this working, but paused as CC-Tweaks took over most of my free time.

Edited by SquidDev, 15 May 2015 - 12:48 PM.

#5 MindenCucc

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Location/home/marcus/

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:55 PM

I have Dix, a single-multitasking OS (that means that only the foreground app is running). Idk... that's it :P It's too indev.

http://puu.sh/hNomf/c71ee3415d.png
http://puu.sh/hNpQZ/5f1d30fc07.png

#6 Lignum

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:33 PM

Everyone seems to be working on operating systems...
Well, I'm working on an OS too, which I dub cheetOS.

Screenshots:
Spoiler

Features:
  • Custom filesystem that allows various types of storage mediums to be mounted as drives (in the screenshot the user directory is mounted as U:, while the root directory is mounted as R:). This goes from directories to remote computers' files via rednet. You can even create your own mountables.
  • Process-based multitasking. Each process has its own environment; this is to prevent some naïve programs from exposing their variables to global access.
  • API with many functions to interact with the OS. It also includes some nifty utility functions (e.g. Lua and CC version getters).
  • Compatibility layer with CraftOS. Most of your CraftOS programs will still work. File paths will default to the U: drive if no drive is specified.

Planned Features:
  • Streams! They will be used to abstract I/O. This includes the addition of console input/output streams.
  • Sockets to abstract interaction between two peers. This can range from two programs communicating with each other to rednet transmissions. Same code for everything.
  • Custom executable format to store metadata and to specify dependencies. The latter is how APIs will be loaded.
  • Stacktraces! (maybe)

#7 CrazedProgrammer

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:24 PM

I have stopped working on GridOS.
I ran into too many unsolvable bugs and I realised that an OS for ComputerCraft is pretty useless.
It has windowing, multitasking and more but it's basicallly a multishell script with windows.
You can use the code in any way you like and you don't even have to give credit.
You can download it here: http://pastebin.com/8STzv2ZK

View PostLignum, on 17 May 2015 - 06:33 PM, said:

Everyone seems to be working on operating systems...
Well, I'm working on an OS too, which I dub cheetOS.
-snip-
That is pretty awesome!
Will it be CLI-only or will it have a GUI?

View PostCreator, on 15 May 2015 - 12:12 PM, said:

I am currently working on OmniOS.

The features, as for now, are:
- multitasking
- monitor support meaning that programs can exclusively run on a monitor
- path mounting, virtual file system
- sandboxing
- Interact
- screen buffer
Lots more.
I'll add screenshots later since I am on mobile now.
Nice!
Will it have normal CraftOS program support?

Edited by CrazedProgrammer, 17 May 2015 - 07:23 PM.

#8 Lignum

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:28 PM

View PostCrazedProgrammer, on 17 May 2015 - 07:24 PM, said:

I ran into too many unsolvable bugs and I realised that an OS for ComputerCraft is pretty useless.
It has windowing, multitasking and more but it's basicallly a multishell script with windows.
You can use the code in any way you like and you don't even have to give credit.

Sorry to hear that; bugs are a pain. I'll have to check it out though despite being unfinished!

View PostCrazedProgrammer, on 17 May 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

That is pretty awesome!

Thanks! While it'll come with a CLI by default, I think I'll also make an optional GUI for it. The user drive contains a startup.lua file, which is all you have to modify to switch UIs.

#9 CrazedProgrammer

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:34 PM

View PostSquidDev, on 15 May 2015 - 12:48 PM, said:

This could take some time. Most of these are on the back burner at the moment.
-snip-
I really like CCTweaks and the new features seem very promising :D

View PostLignum, on 17 May 2015 - 07:28 PM, said:

View PostCrazedProgrammer, on 17 May 2015 - 07:24 PM, said:

Sorry to hear that; bugs are a pain. I'll have to check it out though despite being unfinished!

View PostCrazedProgrammer, on 17 May 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

That is pretty awesome!

Thanks! While it'll come with a CLI by default, I think I'll also make an optional GUI for it. The user drive contains a startup.lua file, which is all you have to modify to switch UIs.
I hope you check it out and learn from it.
---
I like CLIs and this one looks very good!
Can you make it so that you can switch to the GUI mode with a CLI command?
I don't think it's very user friendly that you need to edit the startup.lua file in order to access the GUI.
Anyways, good job!

Edited by CrazedProgrammer, 17 May 2015 - 07:34 PM.

#10 Lignum

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:23 PM

View PostCrazedProgrammer, on 17 May 2015 - 07:34 PM, said:

I hope you check it out and learn from it.
---
I like CLIs and this one looks very good!
Can you make it so that you can switch to the GUI mode with a CLI command?
I don't think it's very user friendly that you need to edit the startup.lua file in order to access the GUI.
Anyways, good job!

I took a look at it and I actually found it to be very nice. It's better than most of the operating systems you find around here! The UI was a little bit confusing but I got used to it in no time. I'm not sure whether I'm keen on having windows for programs since the terminal is already small enough, but otherwise I don't have much to complain about. The core concept is great and if you continued it and added actual functionality, I think your OS would do very well!

---

I'm not sure about having a command to switch from CLI to GUI, but I could certainly make the CLI run inside the GUI. Indeed it's not user-friendly to edit startup.lua, but that's not the point; it's there for modularity. You could compare it to how Linux does not have a GUI by default. Instead, you can install a GUI, a desktop environment (e.g. GNOME), if you like.

The project is on BitBucket by the way: https://bitbucket.or...Kinlay/cheetos/

#11 ardera

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:16 PM

I am working on this. "A program for ComputerCraft that unifies every possible connection/stream into protocols."
And on my own encryption algorithm.

#12 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:41 PM

Hmm I have a few projects on the go so far.

I have a new OS called Omicron which I guess will be the basis of all my programs and allows plugins and extras. So it is multitasking and upon load of the OS it runs all the functions into one file allowing users to make plugins to add functionality. Screenshots aren't available yet! :D

I am making a new website called ShinexusHub which is a social network system for my server and any CC Users where you can login, you get a calender, mailbox, notifications, a integrated app store allowing you to comment and talk about programs you have made by even inserting code in posts. It uses some systems from the server and uses a plugin for the server I made that allows it to get server data and display in on site. It also has the functionality for users to make custom applications for it that work with the server or something else.

I am working on a new Mod for Minecraft that builds on SGCraft and LanteaCraft and allows the stargates to use the BungeeCord system to teleport users through servers via stargates. Working currently, a lot to do though.

I am working on a new Lua based programming language to standardize HTML, JavaScript and PHP systems and making them work with websites and ComputerCraft, this is a back burner project and have been working on it since I made Lua Pages :D.

#13 Mackan90096

• Signature Abuser
  • 518 posts
  • LocationIn my basement.

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:31 AM

I'm currently working on SkyOS, a simple but powerful OS for CC. Currently, it has a login screen and will get auto-updating and more configurability.

I'm also working on a disk tool that will have all the diskdrives connectected to the computer as one.

Edited by Mackan90096, 18 May 2015 - 09:32 AM.

#14 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:31 AM

View PostMackan90096, on 18 May 2015 - 09:31 AM, said:

I'm currently working on SkyOS, a simple but powerful OS for CC. Currently, it has a login screen and will get auto-updating and more configurability.

I'm also working on a disk tool that will have all the diskdrives connectected to the computer as one.

The disk drive thing is already made?:s you just use ls? and it is there? when you connect lots of disk drive...?

#15 Mackan90096

• Signature Abuser
  • 518 posts
  • LocationIn my basement.

Posted 18 May 2015 - 02:05 PM

View PostDannySMc, on 18 May 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

The disk drive thing is already made?:s you just use ls? and it is there? when you connect lots of disk drive...?

Yeah, It's gonna list all the files on all the drives as it were one directory.

#16 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostMackan90096, on 18 May 2015 - 02:05 PM, said:

View PostDannySMc, on 18 May 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

Yeah, It's gonna list all the files on all the drives as it were one directory.

That's cool, make sure to keep the absolute path as it would be annoying if you can't find your files xDD

#17 mayanyaa

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:01 PM

Workin on LPC-OS, which uses PHP and objective c( I made a thread earlier). ATM I only have basic click handling and the startup code complete, but the first things I will implement are windows(moving, resizing, etc), multitasking, and most importantly a console program.

#18 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:38 PM

I'm nearly finished working on my Viewer program, which allows users to view information about any peripherals connected through the network.Posted ImagePosted Image
If anyone would like to make any contributions, feel free to make a pull request! The code is open source, and free to modify. Especially some of the config files and the such.

Edited by Cranium, 22 May 2015 - 03:54 PM.

#19 Agent Silence

• Members
  • 319 posts
  • Location[string "FindMe"]:23143: bad argument #1 to 'returnPos' (vector expected, got nil)

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:39 PM

Working on GUIDE2 at the moment. It's at around 45% done, and currently on delay for the moment. The amount of upgrades from the original GUIDE is tremendous. Picking it back up in a week. Until then, here is a implemented/planned feature list. I cant wait to get it out, though. It is awesome :D

IMPLEMENTED
  • Rectangle Drawing(Finally)
  • Really cool button creation system using os.queueEvent()
  • Right Click Menu
  • Editing of previously created objects
PLANNED
  • Object Browser
  • Tabs(for larger projects)
  • Custom code editor
  • Tethering variables to objects(e.g objectColor = (a == true) and colors.red else colors.blue)
  • Creation of Quest and Firewolf websites(ALMOST DONE! YAY!)
  • Conversion of paint files to functioning GUIs(I have a method of doing this!)

#20 nickname912

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:19 AM

My in development calculator. Project Math (name in devolpment to). I have the basics complete and you can use it as a regular calculator, ex type "5+5" and the program will answer with "10" or type "exit" to exit program. It's my first bigger program and I dont know how good i code it. I would appreciate your feedback.

Have a nice day

scrrenshot:
Posted Image

pastebin: http://pastebin.com/cLuF3pdi

To do list:
  • Fix eror handling and small code fixes
  • colors
  • mathematical functions
  • constants in calculations
  • help and about command
  • auto updating
  • optimaze for both computer and pocket computers