Jump to content




LimeFyre 2 - A Simple DE

computer

66 replies to this topic

Poll: LimeFyre Update Poll

What would you like to see in the newest version of LimeFyre?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 biggest yikes

  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:00 PM

View Postrandomdude999, on 23 July 2015 - 01:05 PM, said:

The menu flickers a lot. (Like, a LOT.)
That's not the OS's fault, NPaintPro was built for an old CC version. It's a miracle it still works at all.

#42 CompuTech

  • Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:01 AM

In response to testing LimeFyre on slower machines, LF2SP7 will be re-programmed using CrazedProgammer's "Surface" API to greatly reduce draw speed as well as make the UI better.
This will be released as LF2SP8 (Service Pack 8). It won't include many new features, however, it will include a GUI overhaul.

This update may take a while to get all of the features ported over to a new graphics system.

Thoughts? Let us know.

Edited by Minecrosoft, 25 July 2015 - 04:02 AM.


#43 Nothy

  • Members
  • 248 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:10 PM

Review!

I've been playing around with this OS a bit, I can't really find a use for it (paint is fun though)

Along with playing around with it, I compared it to my own os and OneOS.


Pros:
Spoiler
Cons:
Spoiler

The structure of the files in explorer is very nicely done and could easily be understood by anyone. One thing that is bugging me though, is the fact that the main OS file itself doesn't have a name that represents the OS file.
But that's not really my business either way, if that's what works for the developer, that's what you run with.


Conclusion:
Minecrosoft, you did a good job on this, but there's polishing work to be done. I quite liked it and I'm willing to come back when the next service pack comes around. You've earned yourself a follower who's more clingy than anyone you've ever known before. If I had to rate it, It's easily a strong 7. (out of 10)


#44 CompuTech

  • Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:24 AM

View PostNothy, on 25 July 2015 - 09:10 PM, said:

Review!

I've been playing around with this OS a bit, I can't really find a use for it (paint is fun though)

Along with playing around with it, I compared it to my own os and OneOS.


Pros:
Spoiler
Cons:
Spoiler

The structure of the files in explorer is very nicely done and could easily be understood by anyone. One thing that is bugging me though, is the fact that the main OS file itself doesn't have a name that represents the OS file.
But that's not really my business either way, if that's what works for the developer, that's what you run with.


Conclusion:
Minecrosoft, you did a good job on this, but there's polishing work to be done. I quite liked it and I'm willing to come back when the next service pack comes around. You've earned yourself a follower who's more clingy than anyone you've ever known before. If I had to rate it, It's easily a strong 7. (out of 10)


Thank you for the positive review. Here's my response to everything you said in the cons and the paragraph following:
  • Shutdown and Restart are indeed messy; they're still as they were from the first release. Probably something I should update. :P
  • Startup settings don't work? Hm. I'll have to take a look at that; I think I know what's causing it.
  • UI is something I've tried to mess around with, and with Service Pack 8 (a little while away) the UI will be neater
  • It starts on page 2 because page 1 is the LimeFyre apps. I could make it display some different text (page-1, and if the page is really 1, it hides the page counter or something)
  • The os file was originally ".lf" but I found "bios.lua" easier to work with, just because... I dunno.
Thank you for taking an interest. I'll be sure to let you know what's going on for SP8

#45 Exerro

  • Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:51 AM

I really like this, you've clearly put a lot of work into it. All the OS menus have a lot of depth to them: you can keep exploring around its numerous settings and keep finding more. Also, the style is clean, slick and nicely colourful - something Nova lacked I think.

To improve, I'd say
1) better touch feedback (make buttons flash, basically)
2) multitasking!!!!!
3) try to make it do everything CraftOS can do, but add the option to do more

#46 CompuTech

  • Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:03 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

Also, Service Pack 9 announcement!
Lots of bugfixes that were created in SP 7-8, a few UI changes, and a new installer. Should be (should being keyword) released later today!
What would you like to see in SP9?

Edit: here's a few screenies of the new update:
Spoiler

Edited by Minecrosoft, 31 July 2015 - 01:36 AM.


#47 cyanisaac

  • Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:53 AM

Can you make the top bar not take half the screen?
It should take one or two rows of pixels AT THE MOST.

Seriously, it is one of my least favorite parts of the OS.

#48 CompuTech

  • Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:16 AM

View Postcyanisaac, on 31 July 2015 - 01:53 AM, said:

Can you make the top bar not take half the screen?
It should take one or two rows of pixels AT THE MOST.

Seriously, it is one of my least favorite parts of the OS.

Sure I could. I'll see how it looks and whether I like it or not.

EDIT: I do like it. Consider it done. :)

SECOND EDIT: Also, good idea. It gives you more space for more tiles!

Edited by Minecrosoft, 31 July 2015 - 02:31 AM.


#49 CompuTech

  • Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:32 AM

LimeFyre updated to Service Pack 9! Enjoy everyone! There's a new pastebin link in comparison to SP7 and 8. pastebin run xGb4B9zH

#50 cyanisaac

  • Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:24 PM

Is SP9 the version with the surface API rewrite in it?

#51 CompuTech

  • Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:01 PM

View Postcyanisaac, on 31 July 2015 - 03:24 PM, said:

Is SP9 the version with the surface API rewrite in it?

It is not.
Saving that for SP10 or something like that.

#52 CompuTech

  • Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:31 PM

Here's a sneak peek at LimeFyre 3!
Spoiler

This update is completly written from scratch, and is running on CrazedProgrammer's Surface API, so screen flickering has been eliminated. :)/>

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Minecrosoft, 06 August 2015 - 11:57 PM.


#53 CompuTech

  • Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:16 AM

Also, for LimeFyre 3, a custom text editor!
I dunno how I'll go about syntax highlighting, but I will try!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Minecrosoft, 07 August 2015 - 06:50 AM.


#54 Waitdev_

  • Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationWherever you want me to be

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:31 PM

don't you need a custom read?
have fun with that.
anyway, cool!

#55 cyanisaac

  • Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:07 PM

Idk why it's called Limefyre 3 when it looks the same as Lymefyre 2. Calling it Limefyre 3 suggests not only huge under-the-hood changes but also huge changes (hopefully in a good way) to UX & UI design.

So again I'll suggest calling it 2.1 :P

EDIT: and since you like microsoft so much can there be a Limefyre Next Insider Preview pls its what microsoft would do.

Edited by cyanisaac, 07 August 2015 - 03:09 PM.


#56 CompuTech

  • Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:10 PM

View Postcyanisaac, on 07 August 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

Idk why it's called Limefyre 3 when it looks the same as Lymefyre 2. Calling it Limefyre 3 suggests not only huge under-the-hood changes but also huge changes (hopefully in a good way) to UX & UI design.

So again I'll suggest calling it 2.1 :P

EDIT: and since you like microsoft so much can there be a Limefyre Next Insider Preview pls its what microsoft would do.
There will be when it's done.

And there is major under the hood stuff: It's completely rewritten. :P

Again, Insider Previews will be available when it's in stable working condition.

View PostWait_, on 07 August 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

don't you need a custom read?
have fun with that.
anyway, cool!

What do you mean by custom read? Do you mean loading? Because that works.

Edited by Minecrosoft, 07 August 2015 - 03:16 PM.


#57 cyanisaac

  • Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:27 PM

View PostMinecrosoft, on 07 August 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

View Postcyanisaac, on 07 August 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

Idk why it's called Limefyre 3 when it looks the same as Lymefyre 2. Calling it Limefyre 3 suggests not only huge under-the-hood changes but also huge changes (hopefully in a good way) to UX & UI design.

So again I'll suggest calling it 2.1 :P

EDIT: and since you like microsoft so much can there be a Limefyre Next Insider Preview pls its what microsoft would do.
There will be when it's done.

And there is major under the hood stuff: It's completely rewritten. :P

Again, Insider Previews will be available when it's in stable working condition. I like pepperonis and yum yums :)

"Calling it Limefyre 3 suggests not only huge under-the-hood changes but ALSO huge changes (hopefully in a good way) to UX & UI design."

Edited by cyanisaac, 07 August 2015 - 08:28 PM.


#58 CompuTech

  • Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:46 PM

View Postcyanisaac, on 07 August 2015 - 08:27 PM, said:

View PostMinecrosoft, on 07 August 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

View Postcyanisaac, on 07 August 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

Idk why it's called Limefyre 3 when it looks the same as Lymefyre 2. Calling it Limefyre 3 suggests not only huge under-the-hood changes but also huge changes (hopefully in a good way) to UX & UI design.

So again I'll suggest calling it 2.1 :P

EDIT: and since you like microsoft so much can there be a Limefyre Next Insider Preview pls its what microsoft would do.
There will be when it's done.

And there is major under the hood stuff: It's completely rewritten. :P

Again, Insider Previews will be available when it's in stable working condition. I like pepperonis and yum yums :)

"Calling it Limefyre 3 suggests not only huge under-the-hood changes but ALSO huge changes (hopefully in a good way) to UX & UI design."


Not a huge change in UI, but it's got new buttons, interface objects, and it's on surface, as well as a library to manage all this.
My rebuttal to this was Windows 95 and 98 didn't have a large UI change. :P

Edited by Minecrosoft, 07 August 2015 - 08:50 PM.


#59 cyanisaac

  • Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:18 PM

View PostMinecrosoft, on 07 August 2015 - 08:46 PM, said:

View Postcyanisaac, on 07 August 2015 - 08:27 PM, said:

View PostMinecrosoft, on 07 August 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

View Postcyanisaac, on 07 August 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

Idk why it's called Limefyre 3 when it looks the same as Lymefyre 2. Calling it Limefyre 3 suggests not only huge under-the-hood changes but also huge changes (hopefully in a good way) to UX & UI design.

So again I'll suggest calling it 2.1 :P

EDIT: and since you like microsoft so much can there be a Limefyre Next Insider Preview pls its what microsoft would do.
There will be when it's done.

And there is major under the hood stuff: It's completely rewritten. :P

Again, Insider Previews will be available when it's in stable working condition. I like pepperonis and yum yums :)

"Calling it Limefyre 3 suggests not only huge under-the-hood changes but ALSO huge changes (hopefully in a good way) to UX & UI design."


Not a huge change in UI, but it's got new buttons, interface objects, and it's on surface, as well as a library to manage all this.
My rebuttal to this was Windows 95 and 98 didn't have a large UI change. :P


my rebuttal to this is that Minecraft has changed a lot but there isn't a Minecraft 2 yet :P

#60 CompuTech

  • Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:20 AM

View Postcyanisaac, on 07 August 2015 - 11:18 PM, said:

--snip--


Well, no, but indev to infdev to alpha to beta to full.
EDIT: I saw the little thing you added in the Quote. xD

I still think it's a big enough update that it get it's own version number.

Edited by Minecrosoft, 08 August 2015 - 01:56 PM.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users