O

220 replies to this topic

#1 ProjectB

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:51 AM

The only thing that's changed is everything. Welcome to O.

Posted Image

O is designed to perfectly compliment ComputerCraft's shell!

Download O

pastebin run 4HLxeETG

What makes O different?

Ease of use can be summed up in the home button.
O's line highlighting allows for visual clarity on that actions your performing for better organization of your shell. To add onto that, the home button can be used anywhere inside of O, allowing you instant access back to the shell. That tied with the back button that works in O's apps, makes for a more coherent design.

Always stay in the loop!
Whenever an O update is available O will prompt you to update, never leaving you behind on the latest and greatest.

Security is highest priority
With O you can set a PIN to lock you computer on boot, and while booted O can protect itself from malicious programs and rootkits, allowing you to keep doing what you do! You can find more info about O's security here.

Bring on the colour!
Inside of O you can theme O's shell to match your colour preferences!

If you have found a security vulnerability in O, please respectfully disclose it here
If you want to join O's Beta Program, you can find instructions for that here
Certifications:
Spoiler

Edited by ProjectB, 25 February 2016 - 12:44 AM.

#2 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:00 AM

This is a really great idea. I like the highlighting and enjoy how it keeps things simple while improving the experience. I'd recommend this for anyone, especially people using normal computers (aka non-advanced computers).

Keep it simple, and thanks for the OS.

#3 ProjectB

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:26 PM

A small bug fix update is in the works, you can see if it's available because it will show on the top after a reboot.

I would like to hear if anyone has feedback on it, because I would love to improve it. Don't expect this to be final version though, it's currently in development and I am trying to make it simply awesome!

#4 ebernerd

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:09 AM

It looks really nice. I might take some notes on this and build a custom shell for my OS. :)

#5 ProjectB

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:02 AM

Ok so a small but sweet update are being rolled out, here's the summed up changelog
Version 1.592 (Minor changes, will be a bit before 1.6)
  • No longer terminates out of the shell, but can terminate in apps running from it
  • Removed the version number from the top when you start(in effort to make it look better)
  • Added an "About" that will show you the version of CraftOS and of O you are running
  • Changed the update app to look better and a bit more work (needs to be redone, but still better)
When you reboot you should see "1.592 update is available", simply type "update" and it will get updated.
PS The version number will NO longer be shown by default, so if you need to find the version you are on, type "about".

View PostEric Bernard, on 28 May 2015 - 12:09 AM, said:

It looks really nice. I might take some notes on this and build a custom shell for my OS. :)
Thanks, I actually really like the look on non-colored computers, because without it you can find yourself lost in them.

#6 ProjectB

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:26 AM

OK so 1.6 of O will be out soon(probably tomorrow), and will really simplify the boot up screen(getting rid of the ProjectB Dev build text and the finicky animation.) It also won't hang there for the most part of a second, rather it's just a flash.

Just some small changes internally other than that, let me know if you have any suggestions!

EDIT: Anyone who wants to try the update early(and maybe supply some feedback), simply add a file name "dev" into the systemO folder. Then reboot, and it should prompt you to update, then type "update", thanks to anyone who wants to test it out!

Edited by ProjectB, 04 June 2015 - 05:33 AM.

#7 ProjectB

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:55 AM

I'm happy to announce 1.6 of my OS, this will fix just a couple of things and make it the best, here is most of the changes:
  • New O API for cleaning stuff up
  • Less obnoxious startup screen
  • Made the update program look nicer(And includes list of things in next update)
  • Now supports custom startups, simply call it "ostartup"
Judging from the lack of attention the OS receives, I would like to know what features people would want. I am all ears!

#8 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:38 PM

The dev builds you have showcased here have some real potential.

The home button you've added acts as a superterminate button and I love it. One of the best features for sure (especially since it can terminate ANYTHING). The back button is nice too I guess... Lol. The mystery button is fun as well (:P).

The notifications API you showed me are pretty cool too. I really like this OS and I think it will do well.

I would recommend for this OS implementing the autocomplete that the default shell has in 1.74pr30 ASAP, I think it will belong in this OS, if the line highlighting works (which it might not). But anyways, love this OS so far, good job, and keep up the good work!

To everyone else who uses ComputerCraft: THIS OS ROCKS!

#9 ProjectB

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:25 PM

Ok, O2 is continuing development, and it's shaping it's way to becoming a pretty great operating system. All the features listed below will be worked into dev versions of the OS, but eventually pushed public.
Planned features:
  • A simple recovery of sorts
  • Queuing and indexing notifications
  • A board to communicate O news.
  • A help interface, to explain basics.
  • Stop from checking for updates every time you hit the home button without an internet connection (freezes for seconds)
Feel free to let me know if anyone else has any feature requests!

Edited by ProjectB, 19 June 2015 - 12:27 PM.

#10 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:26 PM

I've noticed that when I put O2 on a pocket computer, the startup text is off. Please make any instances of centered text (or anything) be based on the screen size, so pocket computers work.

I forget if anything else is off, but if there is, pocket computer support is always a plus.

#11 ProjectB

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:48 PM

View PostLDDestroier, on 19 June 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

I've noticed that when I put O2 on a pocket computer, the startup text is off. Please make any instances of centered text (or anything) be based on the screen size, so pocket computers work.

I forget if anything else is off, but if there is, pocket computer support is always a plus.
My OS centers from screen size, but some long text can get cut off and glitched around the screen. I plan on fixing that in the future with optimizations for pocket computers. Could you supply a screenshot for this startup text?

#12 ebernerd

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:57 AM

O2 looks beautiful.

Like, no, seriously. This is amazing.

Edited by Eric Bernard, 21 June 2015 - 09:57 AM.

#13 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  • LocationYou will never find me, muhahahahahaha

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:02 AM

What happens if the program is not compatible with the back button?

#14 ProjectB

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:41 PM

Wow, I didn't see people had replied to this post.

View PostEric Bernard, on 21 June 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:

O2 looks beautiful.

Like, no, seriously. This is amazing.
Thanks!

View PostCreator, on 21 June 2015 - 10:02 AM, said:

What happens if the program is not compatible with the back button?
The back button won't do anything for programs that don't support it, but they can add support by using O.backButtonPress(). Not a perfect way of doing it, but it's not done yet.

#15 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:52 PM

Does that button queue an event?

PS: 900th post. Cheers

#16 ProjectB

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:02 PM

No, not right now. Right now it waits until you click it, then it returns true. To run a custom event you would use os.queueEvent() right? I just havn't tried it before, but I will work on that.

#17 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:06 PM

How do you enable the control bar?

And to answer you question
os.queueEvent("event","param1")

#18 flaghacker

• Members
  • 655 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:08 PM

View PostProjectB, on 21 June 2015 - 02:02 PM, said:

No, not right now. Right now it waits until you click it, then it returns true. To run a custom event you would use os.queueEvent() right? I just havn't tried it before, but I will work on that.

Yup. You could try queing a "terminate" event, so programs don't even need to add compatibility. I don't know how well that would work for your os thought.

#19 ProjectB

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:10 PM

The control bar is the = on the bottom right of the bar.

It doesn't have much in it right now, but will probably have the time there and maybe some toggles and potentially an API for plugging in with custom background processes.

#20 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:13 PM

View Postflaghacker, on 21 June 2015 - 02:08 PM, said:

View PostProjectB, on 21 June 2015 - 02:02 PM, said:

Yup. You could try queing a "terminate" event, so programs don't even need to add compatibility. I don't know how well that would work for your os thought.

But maybe you don't wanna terminate them, but perform a custom action. Then if clicked twice, the program halts.

When I launch launchpad from within you OS, the PC seems to bug. Try it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users