How to get your hands on ComputerCraftEdu

24 replies to this topic

#1 dan200

• Administrators
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCambridge, England

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:36 PM

Hey everybody!

ComputerCraftEdu is a project I’ve been working on for over two years with TeacherGaming, the people who made MinecraftEdu and are responsible for putting Minecraft into thousands of schools around the world. In the same vein as MinecraftEdu, ComputerCraftEdu is a streamlined version of ComputerCraft designed for use in learning and education, to teach the next generation of programmers how to code. The two main features of the mod are “Beginner’s Turtles” and the “Turtle Remote”, which provide a powerful new visual way to program ComputerCraft Turtles and learn the fundamentals of programming.

ComputerCraftEdu is especially designed for schools using MinecraftEdu, but it’s available to everyone with a PC version of Minecraft. Visit computercraftedu.com to download the mod and watch the trailer. While you're there, check out the provided wiki and tutorial videos to learn more about how the mod plays.

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of ComputerCraftEdu. You may ask for help, post things you've made, share your experiences using CCEdu to teach programming in a class, or whatever else you can think of.

Happy Hacking!

#2 Nokiyen

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:06 PM

Hi, Dan!

I'm very very VERY happy to hear the new relase of ComputerCraftEdu!
I strongly feel Minecraft and ComputerCraft have high potential as educational tools, because both have simplified interfaces (appearances), but sophisticated complexity, and also many interesting and funy elements. Especially, computer programing are getting more and more important through the world, and many country publicly have introduced the class of programing into their fundamental educations. In this situation, I definitely think that ComputerCraftEdu contributes to children's education.

I've once studied education in my university, and now I'm also privately making my own mods as my hobby. Educational mods are my final object, too.
So your ComputerCraftEdu gives me a lot of hope and possibilities.

Anyway, I'll fully enjoy ComputerCraftEdu in this weekend. (now I'm most interested of new costumes of turtles. I love turtles.)

Thank you for your great work!!

#3 PokeAcer

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:26 PM

This is awesome!
Will us forum members be able to make programs for it?
Also, if it runs on the normal lua backend, we could use the bank that PomTom made (MinecraftEdu allows regular mods)

#4 eeveepower

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:03 PM

Thankyou, now can stop having a reason for not learning to code XD finally something in a game

#5 Terra1

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:10 PM

cool!

#6 ferfuderf

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:36 AM

Looks great!

#7 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:54 PM

View PostPokeAcer, on 02 July 2015 - 06:26 PM, said:

This is awesome!
Will us forum members be able to make programs for it?
Also, if it runs on the normal lua backend, we could use the bank that PomTom made (MinecraftEdu allows regular mods)

Why would they want a bank? If they are learning to use it? It is for educational purposes, to be used in many places especially schools to teach programming?
I do think it would be good to make programs for it, but can't see it being a huge thing tbh, as it is a learning tool.

#8 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:59 PM

I'll have to check this out myself. Didn't you tweet something about a turtle perspective camera (Colin and the heist)?

View Posteeveepower, on 02 July 2015 - 09:03 PM, said:

Thankyou, now can stop having a reason for not learning to code XD finally something in a game
Just because it's visual doesn't mean you don't have to code
totally misread it, woops
try to avoid double negatives next time :P

Oh, and by the way, I found this..
Spoiler

Edited by Atenefyr, 03 July 2015 - 10:11 PM.

#9 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:02 AM

View PostAtenefyr, on 03 July 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

Oh, and by the way, I found this..
Spoiler

Huh. Didn't realise those were items.

They look pretty cool in picture frames. You can plaster them over a wall, could be handy for demonstrations. :)

#10 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:03 PM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 04 July 2015 - 01:02 AM, said:

They look pretty cool in picture frames. You can plaster them over a wall, could be handy for demonstrations. :)
The trailer for CCEdu uses this trick. https://www.youtube....KwAr2gqgXg&t=15 look at the frames below the turtles

#11 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:43 AM

This is all very exciting. I've been doing a little bit of work with primary schools in the past few months on early-age programming tutelage, and may be attempting to reach out to a few more to see if this compares favourably to established paradigms as a teaching tool for younger audiences. It's great to see it finally released!

#12 クデル

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:03 PM

Now... I just have to convince my IT teacher... :P

#13 3d6

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:01 PM

Say, does this have HTTP support anywhere? ;)

#14 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:02 PM

View Postcossacksson, on 10 July 2015 - 05:01 PM, said:

Say, does this have HTTP support anywhere? ;)
CCEdu is built off ComputerCraft, and it seems like it's possible to get to the ComputerCraft shell from it by terminating the code IDE, so probably.

#15 cowprotector

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:07 PM

Love this mod! It was the best feature of MinecraftEDU. Are you working on an upgrade to 1.9.4 or 1.10?

#16 valithor

• Members
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 02:16 AM

View Postcowprotector, on 29 July 2016 - 11:07 PM, said:

Love this mod! It was the best feature of MinecraftEDU. Are you working on an upgrade to 1.9.4 or 1.10?

I believe ComputerCraftEdu is updated alongside the base ComputerCraft mod. As it is right now there is a ComputerCraft beta out for Minecraft 1.9.4, so it is currently in progress.

I might be wrong about them being updated alongside each other though (or even if this is still being worked on).

#17 Noorquacker

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

If this ever made it into my school I would just find a way to hijack using the Wireless Modems...

#18 Luca_S

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:13 PM

View PostNoorquacker, on 09 August 2016 - 03:39 PM, said:

If this ever made it into my school I would just find a way to hijack using the Wireless Modems...
And that's the reason it's probably not on my school, because some people wouldn't do any serious with it.

#19 JerryWester

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:13 PM

I have been wondering: does ComputerCraftEdu (in MinecraftEdu, not the mod you've also made for normal Minecraft users) also have the computers from the normal ComputerCraft mod (made for normal Minecraft users) as well as the learning turtles? I prefer the look of an Advanced Computer's interface than a Turtle's interface.

#20 TheRockettek

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • LocationRem is best girl

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:24 PM

you need computercraft to use computercraftEdu.
So yes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users