DumbOS

9 replies to this topic

#1 Scoptile

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationYes. (Location does mean wanted in 12 countries, right?)

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

Discontinued, because it's really bad :P.
Some of the input people had were very valuable, and I learned more about what people want to see in an OS. I might make a new OS someday, but only if I feel it is good enough to make people not hate it.

DumbOS
Current Version: v1.2

Disclaimer: I know this "OS" sucks. Please don't point that out. I'm aware of that. This wasn't even supposed to be public in the first place. It was made for me only, and I put it on the forums, because someone else might be able to use it. Obviously people don't like it, so if you want me to take it down, just say the word. If not, please try to give me advice about how to make it better, rather than telling me why it sucks. That helps nobody. Note that i am not very good at programming, so don't try to make me feel bad for things I might not be able to do, or get wrong. Thank you for listening to this.

DumbOS is a simple text based operating system that I made in an attempt to make creating, running, and managing programs in general easier. I know there are better OS's, and I know this one can't do as much as you might want it to. All you can really do with it so far is create, edit, run, and delete programs.

Ill accept suggestions, but please avoid suggesting the following:
- The ability to have multiple accounts.
- Adding an installer.
These are all either planned, or I just don't want to add them.

I made DumbOS using ComputerCraft 1.6. I'm not certain it will work with older versions. It will most likely work with newer versions, but don't complain to me it if it doesn't.

Installation:

You can install the latest version with this command:
pastebin get wnXCY2v5 startup
Make sure to save it as 'startup'

Changelog:
Spoiler

Please report any bugs or errors that you find to me please, and I will try my best to fix them :)/>

Edited by Scoptile, 24 July 2015 - 12:04 AM.

#2 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:54 PM

I don't know, this "OS" seems more like a 300-line startup file with some program support.
Pros:
1. Simple
Cons:
1. Fake loading screen
2. Not much to do with it
3. No GUI
4. Password not hashed

#3 Scoptile

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:30 PM

If by fake loading screen you mean the wait time between the files being created, then the fake loading screen is gone now.
It intended to handle programs only. I could make it do more, but for now thats all. please note that im not very good at programming in computercraft, so this is pretty impressive for me. I also added an exit to console option on the menu, so you could use it, and do things you couldn't do with it without getting rid of it.

Thanks for your input anyway ill work on some of these things in later versions :)

Edited by Scoptile, 21 July 2015 - 06:41 PM.

#4 Scoptile

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:13 PM

Btw if you would like more to do with it, please tell me what i should add.

#5 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:25 PM

Scoptile, on 21 July 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

If by fake loading screen you mean the wait time between the files being created
No, I mean the one when you boot.

#6 Scoptile

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:48 AM

that wasn't intended to be a loading screen that was just to show that it was starting up. I could see how that could be easily seen as a loading screen, so I'll change that in the next version.

#7 Waitdev_

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:29 AM

If by fake loading screen you mean the wait time between the files being created, then the fake loading screen is gone now.
and by 'waiting for files to be created' you mean sleep(3) actually does something apart from waiting a bit?

i mean, really.

#8 Scoptile

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:42 AM

Wait_, on 22 July 2015 - 05:29 AM, said:

and by 'waiting for files to be created' you mean sleep(3) actually does something apart from waiting a bit?

i mean, really.

no i meant in an older version, it showed the files it was creating, and there was a small delay in between creating them.

#9 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:28 PM

Scoptile, on 22 July 2015 - 02:48 AM, said:

that wasn't intended to be a loading screen that was just to show that it was starting up. I could see how that could be easily seen as a loading screen, so I'll change that in the next version.
"Fake loading screen" means you use sleeps when they aren't really needed.

#10 Scoptile

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:24 PM

like to use sleeps to make it so transitions between two screens aren't as abrupt. But ill try my best to remove that where its not needed in the next version. Thanks for the input! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users