Rednet "datacenter"

wireless networking utility

2 replies to this topic

#1 ackley14

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:11 AM

im working on a "global" passwords databank for the base im building and part of that involves having a centeral server computer that hosts the most recent version of the password database. so i haven't done any rednet testing but i have a sneaking suspicion that if multiple computers try and talk to the server room all at once, that things will get backed up. currently the server computer will simply run on request, i.e. it will wait till it is asked to do something, then do it, then wait again

so my question is, is there a better way to do this to make it less likely for the network to get clogged? or will i just have to deal with this limitation?....like i said i havn't done any testing so it might be able to handle multiple requests at once but either way im asking this in advanced asuming i'll run into this problem while testing

#2 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:18 AM

Every time a message is sent to the server, it gets tacked onto the end of its event queue. Every time it attempts to receive a message, it pulls one from the front of the queue.

If multiple machines are sending messages to the server faster than it can pull them, then yes, eventually the queue will hit its limit (of 256 events) and you'll start running into problems.

However: If every system that messages the server waits for a response before sending another, then there shouldn't be any issue; the absolute maximum amount of messages in its queue would be equal to the amount of computers on the network, and the odds of them all making requests at once should be pretty low anyway.

#3 Rougeminner

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:10 AM

unless you are somehow encrypting the message i don't think this would be that best idea. all i have to do is use rednet channel 62556 if i recall correctly and i can receive every message being passed back and for on your world. what i think would be a good encryption for something like MD5 that way really the only way to get it is collision detecting and a really really lucky guess. and if someone wants the password to your computercraft computer bad enough that they are willing to collision detect MD5 then there is something else going on :D

Just my opinion do what ever you want with your program. thats why i like programing its my own little project hat i can do what ever with.

Edited by Rougeminner, 26 July 2015 - 04:11 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users