[MC 1.7.10][CC 1.7.4]Computers not turning on

12 replies to this topic

#1 Hiran

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:28 AM

http://imgur.com/hlCCGW8

I've built this to to autocraft BM alchemical ingredients, but the computers are not turning on automatically after i enter my game. I have to manually launch each one. With 6 computers it's not big problem problem, but if i wanted to use CC to do more stuff in my base then ill have real problem.

Edited by Hiran, 24 July 2015 - 09:46 AM.

#2 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:57 AM

This happens to some people. It's not supposed to, and it doesn't seem to be tied to any particular version of ComputerCraft. Thus far no one's figured out a solution, though some workarounds - eg Autonomous Activators - are available. Here's the (most recent) bug thread for the matter.

#3 Hiran

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

From the topic you linked to:

View PostBomb Bloke, on 28 May 2015 - 01:10 AM, said:

The one specific time I can remember encountering this issue myself was on a 1.73 SMP setup, where I only needed to manually boot my systems back up and they resumed normal operation with further server reboots from that point on. My assumption is that an abnormal server shutdown triggered it, in that particular case - if CC decided that all computers in the world had crashed, then it'd save all their states as "off", and therefore wouldn't start them when they next chunk-loaded. I may've seen it on other occasions, but if so they were few and far between (months apart at least), never often enough to pay attention to, let alone a "constant thing".

If that's true then i have an ideas.
You wrote that CC saves computer state. What would happen if that SaveState() function (or whatever is it) didn't work correctly? For example due to not having rights to edit file with computer states or something like that?
Would it be possible to add new config option: "Force_Computers_ON" that if set to true would omit saved state check and just forcefully turn each computer on? By default it would be set to false, so we would have normal CC behavior, and people with this issue, like me, could change it?

#4 gabe565

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:08 AM

I have been having this issue also with FTB Infinity, but I've had more issues than just computers not turning on. I have set up a pretty big sorting system with computers and so if they don't boot, it creates a frustrating problem!

When the computers wouldn't turn on, I connected them all up with wired modems to a main computer which loops through them and sends out a signal for them to turn on and I thought that'd fix it.
The weird problem I've had is that the main computer will see them and try to turn them on, but they will not actually turn on unless I go behind them all and disconnect and reconnect the modems, then they will actually turn on.

So something weird is happening!

Edited by gabe565, 26 July 2015 - 02:46 AM.

#5 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:01 AM

View PostHiran, on 24 July 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

If that's true then i have an ideas.
You wrote that CC saves computer state. What would happen if that SaveState() function (or whatever is it) didn't work correctly? For example due to not having rights to edit file with computer states or something like that?
Would it be possible to add new config option: "Force_Computers_ON" that if set to true would omit saved state check and just forcefully turn each computer on? By default it would be set to false, so we would have normal CC behavior, and people with this issue, like me, could change it?

Yes, this sort of workaround may do the job: There are some complications, though...

First off, what I said was an assumption. For all I know the game is tracking system states correctly, and is simply failing to turn the systems on - in which case this config option wouldn't help. Can't tell, don't have the source and don't know how to reproduce the bug.

Even if I am right and that config option would work as a workaround, a proper fix would be better.

I suppose, if nothing else, your idea would help people track down the root cause of the problem.

View Postgabe565, on 26 July 2015 - 02:08 AM, said:

FTB Infinity

Version numbers?

#6 gabe565

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:26 AM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 26 July 2015 - 03:01 AM, said:

View Postgabe565, on 26 July 2015 - 02:08 AM, said:

FTB Infinity

Version numbers?

Oh sorry!

It has happened to me on the last two versions of FTB Infinity which had ComputerCraft 1.73 and then 1.74. Also has OpenPeripherals and I am playing on a multiplayer server that I am running.
Actually, let me go see if I can reproduce this on a single player world!

#7 Hiran

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:46 AM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 26 July 2015 - 03:01 AM, said:

First off, what I said was an assumption. For all I know the game is tracking system states correctly, and is simply failing to turn the systems on - in which case this config option wouldn't help. Can't tell, don't have the source and don't know how to reproduce the bug.
This bug is not something that can be reproduced by someone who hasn't experienced it, or at least that's what i think. If you have it, then you have it. If not, then you cant reproduce it.
Rather than trying to reproduce it just post "Seeking people whose CC computers don't automatically turn on" on forum, Dan's site etc. and try to fix this with them. I think that the easiest way to find the cause of this is to create special CC version that will log everything that happens within CC during world load. If this logs will be complex enough it should be possible to find the cause, or at least it would tell us where to look for it. I know that this CC version will be more laggy, but it wouldn't be official release, so we don't have to worry about that.

Can someone tell Dan about this? It would be nice if he told us what he thinks.

#8 HPWebcamAble

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • LocationWeb Development

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:46 AM

View PostHiran, on 26 July 2015 - 07:46 AM, said:

Can someone tell Dan about this? It would be nice if he told us what he thinks.

He knows, this has been an issue for a while now.

I don't know where his latest statement on it is, but I believe he is occupied with something besides CC at the moment, and won't be doing anything soon.

I assume at this moment, you are still having the problem. Does it happen in new worlds too?

#9 Hiran

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:37 PM

I cant really say. I have many things automated in my base, so if something doesn't work i notice it right away, but this doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes only 2 wont turn on, sometimes more.
In my "playground" world i have 2 or 3 computers so i cant say for sure.

#10 HPWebcamAble

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • LocationWeb Development

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:27 PM

View PostHiran, on 27 July 2015 - 03:37 PM, said:

I cant really say. I have many things automated in my base, so if something doesn't work i notice it right away, but this doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes only 2 wont turn on, sometimes more.

When you manually open the computer GUI, it turns on, correct?

#11 gabe565

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:56 AM

I have figured out why it was happening to me.

I only had it happen in multiplayer, but when I decided to start issuing the "stop" command on the server instead of just clicking the "X" to close it, the computers all turn on automatically the next time I run it.
So it must be so that the computers cannot continually crash the server they do not automatically turn on unless it was a clean shutdown.

#12 Hiran

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:32 AM

Sorry for late response.

Yeah. Everything works if i launch it manually.

#13 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:37 PM

View Postgabe565, on 31 July 2015 - 05:56 AM, said:

I have figured out why it was happening to me.

I only had it happen in multiplayer, but when I decided to start issuing the "stop" command on the server instead of just clicking the "X" to close it, the computers all turn on automatically the next time I run it.
So it must be so that the computers cannot continually crash the server they do not automatically turn on unless it was a clean shutdown.
That's actually how you should always stop a minecraft server. Doing otherwise risks world corruption and chunk errors, among other things as you can see.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users