Computer screen flickering

7 replies to this topic

#1 ExDomino

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:54 PM

On my server, my computer started to blink like the screen is cleared and rewrited again and again. It's the first time it does that. On my own program I made, all is fine, but it blinks when I'm using edit or even in the shell.

#2 H4X0RZ

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:20 PM

Maybe you got a bad ping causing minecraft to update the CC screen too slow?

#3 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:38 PM

My bet is that you're only seeing this when you're actually typing into edit/shell. Under CC 1.74, those scripts now clear and redraw the line whenever you enter a character, in a manner that'll indeed lead to flicker if your system's under load or if you're playing online. It's to do with the auto-complete functionality, though it could indeed be coded to work without blanking the line over and over.

Not that you bothered to mention your version, or the other details the "how to post a bug" thread calls for.

#4 Waitdev_

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:54 AM

its usually either the ram or something, causing cc to lag when you type. but with what bomb bloke said, it could also be the autocomplete.
does it happen if your typing some word it wouldn't autocomplete?
like... pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis?

#5 ardera

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:45 PM

Wait_, on 01 August 2015 - 12:54 AM, said:

its usually either the ram or something, causing cc to lag when you type. but with what bomb bloke said, it could also be the autocomplete.
I don't think it has to do with RAM. It is not autocomplete's fault, and it is not a bug.
It's just that the ComputerCraft update adding autocomplete changed the way the shell draws the command line.

#6 flaghacker

• Members
  • 655 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:39 PM

Wait_, on 01 August 2015 - 12:54 AM, said:

That's noT what Bomb said, the issue isn't caused by autocomplete iteself. It is caused by the shell clearing and redrawing the entire line whenever something changes, wich was needed to make autocompleting work. What you actually type is not relevant here.

#7 Anavrins

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:21 PM

It's most likely something to do with shell.clear and/or shell.clearLine being very frequently called, lag also can make it worst.

#8 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:51 PM

flaghacker, on 01 August 2015 - 04:39 PM, said:

It is caused by the shell clearing and redrawing the entire line whenever something changes, wich was needed

Really not "needed", but otherwise yeah.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users