OmniOS - The OS than can do (almost) anything

192 replies to this topic

Poll: OmniOS

How would you rate OmniOS?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you like OmniOS?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What do you want to be improved?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  • LocationYou will never find me, muhahahahahaha

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:28 PM

New version: 15w43a

New:
  • Fixed error system, it is now displayed directly on screen
  • FS sandbox is also working correctly
This allows you to bypass the difficult process of going to the log folder ans checking it manually. it's something!

#42 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:34 PM

Does anyone actually use OmniOS and is it worth the effort I am putting in it?

#43 LeDark Lua

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationLeLua

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:43 PM

If I would have Minecraft, I would have a great use for it, but now, I use it for learning purposes and just trying to bug out the system, and In two weeks, I could not do anything, no bugs, no nothing, working properly. Except If you made it, you could tell us the exploits or weak spots so we could find bugs.

#44 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:54 PM

Do you mean that you were intentionally trying to bug OmniOS?
Well I totally encourage you to do so and to report the possible exploits (or keep them to yourself for evil purposes).
I am flattered that everything works properly.

There is one bug I can't fix: when I launch the shell program from the desktop, it gets to use the root directory not the OmniOS/usr directory. I have still no idea how to fix that one.

I also don't mind you using the code for learning purposes.

PS: I was sure you'd post because 1) I saw you in the online member list and you were reading this topic 2) you always respond and I find that great!

#45 tehComputerCrafter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:58 AM

Missing program: Calculator.
found it in FileX, is it unused?

#46 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:58 PM

Calculator. Yep. It is unused because it was buggy and raised an error, which stopped OmniOS.

#47 tehComputerCrafter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:53 AM

Ok then.

#48 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 02:57 PM

I am going to implement daemons into OmniOS. If you have any useful ideas, be sure to share them now while I have not implemented too much code. One of the ideas I have is to use it to detect key combinations and networking. Maybe notifications too.

#49 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:25 PM

Also, I have been working on a GUI framework. It will replace Interact, which was a failure. Any other requests you may have, because now I'm getting serious with coding.

#50 thedigi321

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:10 PM

I love this OS, and found somethings that i would like but it might not be possible here is some of the things if they are not added yet:
i would love to have the ability to have more OSes on the list like if i want the Chrome OS, OmiOS, and Rindows on the list then i can pick from the ones i have installed, that might not be possible tho. another thing i would like is to make my own shortcuts on the desktop with programs from the list(also that might not be possible. there is an error currently
a bug i found is when clicking the NPaintPro gave me an error of "cannot resume dead coroutine", another thing is when on filex and right clicking then "Run" i get the error "Main.lua:689: attempt to concatenate nil and string". in settings when i click "desktop", shortcuts, then the + on the bottom left i get the error Main.lua:46:attempt to index ? (a nil value)
some things may need work but this OS shows promise

#51 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:32 PM

Would you consider not making your own UI framework and using Flare, which already exists?

#52 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:28 AM

Thanks for the feedback.
@thedigi: this is the kind of feedback I love because I know exactly what I have to fix. Thanks.

@LDD: By making my own, I have several advantages: I know exactly how it works. If I don't like it, I change it. I also can modify it very easily. Remember that CC is a learning platform, so how much would I learn about coding and the pain making a GUI framework is if I used Flare. I also believe that my framework has a slight design (not visual, but coding/idea) advantage and if I optimize it properly, it might be faster.

Edit: Adding new OSes is no prob. I'll work on the bios function of the OS and allow you to add more OSes and the path of the file that should be run.

#53 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:30 PM

Good news, I added the ability to add OSes and the respective paths.

#54 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:58 PM

New version released: 15w45a

Features:
- The bios allows the addition of other OSes.
- Some other improvements.

#55 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:07 PM

The pastebin install script has been updated.

#56 Nothy

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:01 PM

When trying to add icons to the home screen, I stumbled upon this error:

"Main.lua:46: attempt to index ? (a nil value)"
Posted Image

#57 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:35 PM

I know. I will be fixing that. It is just that Interact was over complicated and overly badly designed. I am replacing it with another, better GUI framework.

I have been working on the wiki of OmniOS for the past few days, so if you feel like being overwhelmed with a nice documentation, be sure to drop by.

The best written (and only complete) page is OmniOS API.

Some of you may have heard of Pixel, an Application Framework I am developing. (If you haven't heard of it, be sure to look at the Gitter chat.) Well the good news is that OmniOS will completely switch to using it.

#58 LoganDark

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • LocationMacintosh HD/Users/LoganDark

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:12 AM

Nice! I really like this OS, but there are some catches I don't really like.

#59 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:47 PM

View PostLoganDark, on 07 December 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

Nice! I really like this OS, but there are some catches I don't really like.

I'm listening. What can I improve?

And thanks!

#60 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:17 AM

If there's any advice that I can give, try to make the color palate good looking. I try to stick with a gray background/white text, or lightGray background/black text for highlighted things. Orange text works nicely over gray, but not orange background.

I say this because the screenshot with the green background makes my eyes hurt. Color contrast is important!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users