Flare - The extensive, extendable UI library.

42 replies to this topic

#21 Cloud Ninja

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:48 AM

View Postcyanisaac, on 20 August 2015 - 01:41 AM, said:

you mods sure do hate any form of obsfucation/minification, I can't help but feel like not many people would intentionally create something to sabotage users.
Incorrect. You have NO clue how many users would love to upload 'malicious' (to the fullest lua/CC extent) onto the forums, but we aren't. Like, i would love to have released my getfenv() hook program, but i wouldnt be allowed as its only major use is 'botnetting' really. Obfuscation allows people to SAY its doing one thing, but even if only one line is obfuscated, it can do some pretty nasty stuff, like download and then run a file, or just run mal code.

#22 jplee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Location01101110 01101111 01110111 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101

Posted 22 August 2015 - 05:28 AM

This is an awsome looking library for the UI; but unfortunatly the documentation is not attached, making it difficult for me to tinker with it. :(

#23 Exerro

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:50 AM

Oh I think I forgot to update the OP, the documentation is on the github wiki here.

#24 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:53 PM

So are you going to create an OS out of this?

#25 Exerro

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:25 PM

Probably at some point.

#26 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:48 PM

I would very much appreciate it if this were modified to NOT be anchored to needing to install to /Flare.... I am building an OS and I would much prefer to store it in a subdirectory somewhere to keep things neat.

PLEASE consider this.

EDIT: using flare for a program in the OS, so it makes sense to store it with other APIs

Edited by cyanisaac, 24 August 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#27 Exerro

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:15 PM

Sorry, it's just too awkward to do. Since Flare is intended to be used by multiple things, making it be able to be installed anywhere would require some heavy modification to the builder and run.lua, and the installer would have to change too. If you really don't want Flare in the root path, use the -f flag when building your program and it'll include Flare when built so you don't even need Flare installed. If you're distributing the source of the program with the OS... don't... Flare isn't designed to work like that, and you'll get unnecessary lag when starting the program.

#28 クデル

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:01 AM

Would I be able to change the location of /Flare simply by modifying the FS API? making it think something such as APIs/Flare is /Flare without a performance hit?

#29 Exerro

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:56 AM

Yup, that would do it, although why do you want to move it so much?

#30 クデル

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:58 AM

Personally, I'm a bit OCD and a bit of a perfectionist, so its nice to be able to change the file structure to my liking.

#31 PixelFox

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:35 AM

Flare doesn't work for me. I did everything. I ran FlareDemo, and "attempt to call nil". ._.

#32 FUNCTION MAN!

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:57 PM

View PostLightning, on 19 September 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

Flare doesn't work for me. I did everything. I ran FlareDemo, and "attempt to call nil". ._.
Going to need just a bit more info.

#33 Exerro

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:58 PM

Chances are you're running it on an older version of ComputerCraft. Without a line number, there's nothing I can do to help, however, as it works perfectly for me on a fresh computer.

#34 PixelFox

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:33 PM

View Postawsumben13, on 19 September 2015 - 04:58 PM, said:

Chances are you're running it on an older version of ComputerCraft. Without a line number, there's nothing I can do to help, however, as it works perfectly for me on a fresh computer.
What version does it need? I HAVE to stay on 1.73

Okay, I tried it on 1.74, and it works.

I just wish you could make it just an api that you load using a different technique, and not have to compile it. :/

Oh and also, make it so button.color and button.textColor work...

I really thought I was doing something wrong, until I saw you had a "u" in "colors", and made it "colours".
So, yeah, please don't forget about americans.

Yeah, I'm just not gonna use it, I don't wanna compile it into an unreadable mess every time I wanna use it, it's a pain in the butt.

Edited by Lightning, 19 September 2015 - 09:03 PM.

#35 FUNCTION MAN!

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:38 AM

View PostLightning, on 19 September 2015 - 08:33 PM, said:

View Postawsumben13, on 19 September 2015 - 04:58 PM, said:

What version does it need? I HAVE to stay on 1.73

Okay, I tried it on 1.74, and it works.

I just wish you could make it just an api that you load using a different technique, and not have to compile it. :/

Oh and also, make it so button.color and button.textColor work...

I really thought I was doing something wrong, until I saw you had a "u" in "colors", and made it "colours".
So, yeah, please don't forget about americans.

Yeah, I'm just not gonna use it, I don't wanna compile it into an unreadable mess every time I wanna use it, it's a pain in the butt.

Compilation makes it faster and easier to parse. It isn't supposed to be readable, that's why the source is avaiable. Compile it once. Put it in a disk, a pastebin, whatever.

Edited by Dr. Poof, 20 September 2015 - 12:38 AM.

#36 Exerro

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 09:35 AM

I made Flare/bin/debug for exactly that reason. That will run it without you needing to build it first. What's so bad about compiling anyway?

#37 LeDark Lua

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationLeLua

Posted 20 September 2015 - 09:49 AM

I think he wants this peace of ar to be an API. But why? If awsumben13 will create an OS using this framework, then you will create apps using this framework as API.

EDIT: I think I explained well :D

Edited by LeDark Lua, 20 September 2015 - 09:50 AM.

#38 Exerro

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:07 AM

I did actually make an OS that used Flare. It worked pretty well... multi-user support, awesome animations, multitasking, and a much better way of switching between apps. However, I got bored of it (like most projects) so yeah... I might release it actually.

Anyway, now I'm on my laptop, I can go into some more depth as to why you have to compile things.

Firstly, you don't need to write any installers yourself, it will automatically download Flare and all your files are run just fine. Secondly, it allows things like minification, including Flare, and putting all sorts of files from all over your computer in. You can even extend other projects by adding them to the build path. Finally, it means that operating systems using Flare as a UI framework can alter how the program is run, potentially tying program UIs into their own and doing all sorts of clever stuff. Phoenix (the OS I was writing) does this iirc. Another advantage is that you don't need to worry about calling app:run() or anything, all that is done for you, you can just set up a GUI and it simply works.

Edit: Why not? The successor to Nova, and already abandoned, I present to you: Phoenix! pastebin run NhY9B7cb

Edited by awsumben13, 20 September 2015 - 12:40 PM.

#39 LeDark Lua

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationLeLua

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:26 AM

View Postawsumben13, on 20 September 2015 - 10:07 AM, said:

I did actually make an OS that used Flare. It worked pretty well... multi-user support, awesome animations, multitasking, and a much better way of switching between apps. However, I got bored of it (like most projects) so yeah... I might release it actually.

Anyway, now I'm on my laptop, I can go into some more depth as to why you have to compile things.

Firstly, you don't need to write any installers yourself, it will automatically download Flare and all your files are run just fine. Secondly, it allows things like minification, including Flare, and putting all sorts of files from all over your computer in. You can even extend other projects by adding them to the build path. Finally, it means that operating systems using Flare as a UI framework can alter how the program is run, potentially tying program UIs into their own and doing all sorts of clever stuff. Phoenix (the OS I was writing) does this iirc. Another advantage is that you don't need to worry about calling app:run() or anything, all that is done for you, you can just set up a GUI and it simply works.

Awesome.

#40 H4X0RZ

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:49 PM

I think there is a bug in the tasks view of Phoenix. You can still enter stuff into the shell(s), and there is a blinking cursor in the top-left corner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users