turtle repeat

turtle

7 replies to this topic

#1 Hydrotronics

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationThe hall of 1000 monkeys and only 1 typewriter

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:15 PM

This may be considered a revive of an old topic, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for... I found a topic about a turtle repeating a specific amount of times, but it wasn't in the context that I was looking for, as I want a code to repeat 5 times. Any ideas on how to do this? If there is a post with this topic and context, please give a link?

E.G: shell.run("go down") X5

thats essentially what I want it to do. I don't want to write the same string over and over again as if it is in high quantities, it'll get pretty boring. This is for the current project and future reference

#2 Lignum

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:02 PM

Since you're already using the command, this should work:
shell.run("go down 5")

Though it's generally a bad idea to use shell.run for simple tasks like this, use the turtle api instead. You can use a for loop to repeat the action:
for i=1,5 do
   turtle.down()
end

#3 Hydrotronics

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:17 PM

Ah! I see! well, i shall be using the turtle API instead from now on for tasks like this!! Thx for the help, but for future reference, what does the i=1,5 mean? ik it means to repeat x amount of times but what does the I part mean? if you could tell me that that'd be fantastic!! if not, then thx for the help anyway!!!

#4 KingofGamesYami

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:37 PM

It's a numeric for loop. 'i' can be any variable you want, and will be local to the scope of the loop. It will contain the current iteration:

for i = 1, 5 do
  print( "i is now: " .. i )
end

#5 Hydrotronics

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:19 PM

View PostKingofGamesYami, on 29 August 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

It's a numeric for loop. 'i' can be any variable you want, and will be local to the scope of the loop. It will contain the current iteration:

sooooooo your saying that it defines the amount of times to loop? right?

#6 KingofGamesYami

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:45 PM

Sort of. i = 1 means the loop will start at 1. The second value, 5, means it will iterate until i >= 5. The lack of a third value means the loop will default to +1 increments. If you add a third value, you could have it count by different increments, including negative numbers.

Edited by KingofGamesYami, 30 August 2015 - 06:46 PM.

#7 powerboat9

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:42 AM

Output:

i is now: 1
i is now: 2
i is now: 3
i is now: 4
i is now: 5

#8 Hydrotronics

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 03:30 PM

View PostKingofGamesYami, on 30 August 2015 - 06:45 PM, said:

Sort of. i = 1 means the loop will start at 1. The second value, 5, means it will iterate until i >= 5. The lack of a third value means the loop will default to +1 increments. If you add a third value, you could have it count by different increments, including negative numbers.

ohhhh right, k, i get it now! thx :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users