[0.7d] Northbridge Terminal OS - Back-ported Functions, Multitasking and more!

25 replies to this topic

#1 Selim

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • LocationHiding in Online Storage

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:10 PM

Posted Image
Northbridge Terminal OS @northbridge_net
The first OS with built-in support for the Northbridge Network.

Explanation of the Northbridge project here.

Features:
  • User login
  • Push notifications
  • Customizable theme
  • OS file protection
  • Online file storage (dev)
  • Back-ported features (dev)
  • Environment detection (ComputerCraft (default), ComputerCraft Edu, Termu, CCEmuRedux and Mimic are supported) (dev)
  • Multitasking API (dev)
  • RTC API (dev)
  • Metadata API (dev)
  • Detect MC version when _HOST is not available (dev)
  • Detect CC version when _HOST is not available (dev)
  • Most if not all features should be supported for pretty far back in past CC versions
Do not consider this a final product, there is always room for improvement, so if you find any bugs/have suggestions, feel free to post them below.

Screenshots:
Spoiler

To do:
Spoiler

Changelog:
Spoiler

To install:
Spoiler

Links:
Spoiler

If you have any issues, use the "submitLog" program!

If you like this project or it's concept, please leave a reply saying so. It is a great encouragement to keep working on it.

Edited by Selim, 19 May 2016 - 04:03 PM.

#2 Selim

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:52 PM

It appears that the OS is currently more buggy in 1.74 than 1.6. Just so you know. I will have to spend some extra time fixing that, as I can only do 1.6 when at school, cause I am using my Chromebook, with the Mimic emulator.

EDIT: I now have my Chromebook running Minecraft with ComputerCraft 1.74, so future builds should run better (hopefully).

Edited by Selim, 16 November 2015 - 11:33 PM.

#3 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  • LocationYou will never find me, muhahahahahaha

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:54 PM

So this OS is built around the north bridge api?

#4 Selim

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:08 PM

Technically, all it is at the moment is a glorified CraftOS terminal. The only part of the Northbridge API that it will probably include normally is an app store, which will include some official apps that use the API more so. Though, the app store on the server end is not yet fully functional, so right now all it is a terminal, with file protection on the OS files.

EDIT: The above statement is no longer true, except the part about the app store.

Edited by Selim, 28 December 2015 - 06:23 PM.

#5 Selim

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:22 PM

I didn't want to post on here each time there is an update, but I have now decided it isn't such a bad idea as it bumps it to the top of the list.
I case anyone is wondering, I am currently working on fully re-writing the file protection api in such a way that it can be used to protect files not only from the system files. It will be Linux-esc with three user-based permssions types (root, owner, other) and three access types. The main difference is that the access types do not include an "execute" permission as I assume it would irritate quite a few users that aren't familiar with it. Instead, it has a "no-access" permission where the file cannot even be read.

Edited by Selim, 29 December 2015 - 09:08 PM.

#6 FUNCTION MAN!

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:04 AM

FYI: it's trwxrwxrwx, where 't' is the file type (character device, block device, regular file, dirent), 'r' is read, 'w' is write, 'x' is execute.
The permissions are organized into groups of 3, called triads, where the first triad is owner, the second is group, and the third is others.

#7 Selim

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:43 AM

Ok, but I was just using that as inspiration, I already know how that works.
My way of accomplishing it is just storing permissions in a serialized table within a file.

Edited by Selim, 30 December 2015 - 04:47 AM.

#8 Selim

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:06 PM

New Alpha Build v0.7ba!
Technically, first alpha build, but here we go.

Changelog:
- Redid the login script slightly
- Added the Northbridge Files API

Accessible from the same installer and uses a new installation format! All files and directories are compressed into a single file that is downloaded then uncompressed.

https://twitter.com/...749880630579200

Edited by Selim, 17 January 2016 - 06:50 PM.

#9 Blue

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • LocationGlass/UX/main.lua

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:43 PM

You forgot to change the Y position for mouse clicking. Apart from that,this looks like an awesome OS! :D

#10 Selim

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:11 PM

View PostGlass Systems, on 20 January 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

You forgot to change the Y position for mouse clicking. Apart from that,this looks like an awesome OS! :D
Thank you! I forgot about that one, thanks, should be fixed soon.

#11 Selim

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:15 PM

New Alpha Build v0.7bc!

Changelog:
- Ported completion functions to CC versions before 1.75
- Ported settings API to CC versions before 1.77
- Fixed mouse event locations
- Added wget and set programs
- Probably more

https://twitter.com/...399019571101696

Edited by Selim, 25 January 2016 - 02:04 AM.

#12 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:47 AM

Any plans to release the back ports separately?

#13 Selim

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

View PostLupus590, on 25 January 2016 - 08:47 AM, said:

Any plans to release the back ports separately?
Not sure. Possibly.

EDIT: Done.

Edited by Selim, 25 January 2016 - 01:37 PM.

#14 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:14 AM

I'm still a bit confused. What is the Northbridge Network, what is this OS, what does it do? You don't have much of a description of it.

#15 Selim

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:33 AM

View Postcyanisaac, on 26 January 2016 - 12:14 AM, said:

I'm still a bit confused. What is the Northbridge Network, what is this OS, what does it do? You don't have much of a description of it.
Northbridge Network is the API that the OS is written around. The OS has the listed features. I also put a link to the about page on the Northbridge website.

#16 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:38 AM

View PostSelim, on 26 January 2016 - 12:33 AM, said:

View Postcyanisaac, on 26 January 2016 - 12:14 AM, said:

Northbridge Network is the API that the OS is written around. The OS has the listed features. I also put a link to the about page on the Northbridge website.

"Northbridge is a project that I have been working on for quite some time. Originally, it was intended primarily for use on the BlueCircuit Server, and was going to be run entirely in game. Though, as the project evolved, I discovered how much easier it was to develop with a PHP webserver than using ComputerCraft's modems to relay messages to an in game ComputerCraft server to hold and send data.

Now, lucky for all of you, it is open for public use now! At some point there should hopefully be a client for ComputerCraft and possibly OpenComputers to use in game."

Yummy buzzwords! What I'm asking is, what does it do, what is its API, how does one utilize the Northbridge Network, etc. etc. etc.

#17 Selim

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:47 AM

View Postcyanisaac, on 26 January 2016 - 12:38 AM, said:

What I'm asking is, what does it do, what is its API, how does one utilize the Northbridge Network, etc. etc. etc.
The API currently includes user logins, online file storage, and ComputerCraft "push notifications".
It is currently only accessible to everyone via the OS atm. I have not put time into the documentation of the PHP functions yet although there is partial documentation of how to use the functions via the APIs included in the OS.
The "public use" part was written as being very optimistic that I would put out documentation soon and hoping that someone didn't point it out until documentation was out :{

Edited by Selim, 26 January 2016 - 12:50 AM.

#18 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:02 AM

View PostSelim, on 26 January 2016 - 12:47 AM, said:

View Postcyanisaac, on 26 January 2016 - 12:38 AM, said:

What I'm asking is, what does it do, what is its API, how does one utilize the Northbridge Network, etc. etc. etc.
The API currently includes user logins, online file storage, and ComputerCraft "push notifications".
It is currently only accessible to everyone via the OS atm. I have not put time into the documentation of the PHP functions yet although there is partial documentation of how to use the functions via the APIs included in the OS.
The "public use" part was written as being very optimistic that I would put out documentation soon and hoping that someone didn't point it out until documentation was out :{

:P Well documentation is kinda important. If you could quickly write some documentation that would be neat, so I can experiment with what you're creating :D

#19 Selim

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:08 AM

View Postcyanisaac, on 26 January 2016 - 01:02 AM, said:

:P Well documentation is kinda important. If you could quickly write some documentation that would be neat, so I can experiment with what you're creating :D
I shall tomorrow. During a very productive study hall :)

#20 Selim

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:34 PM

View PostSelim, on 26 January 2016 - 01:08 AM, said:

I shall tomorrow. During a very productive study hall :)
Well, I started...might take a while longer than expected.

EDIT: I am going to see if I can make it auto-pull functions from the PHP scripts so documentation is always updated :)
After getting the first version out of course.

EDIT2: Documentation for all PHP functions: http://northbridge.dx.am/docs/PHP/

Edited by Selim, 26 January 2016 - 07:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users