Ability to hack other Computercraft computers

12 replies to this topic

#1 heyu1

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:43 PM

After playing the game Hacknet I think that computer craft could benefit from a hacking interface for it, whether on a treasure disk or by default, the ability to find other Computer craft computers and accesses their files would be cool and could bring up another way for Floppy disks to be used for marketing, mainly antivirus softwares or advanced codes. Please leave a reply on how you think about this.

#2 Kronix

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:22 AM

You can already just write a virus, and Anti-Virus is near impossible because startup can be bypassed with a floppy disk.

#3 KingofGamesYami

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:48 AM

Viruses are impossible because startup can be bypassed with a floppy disk.

#4 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:00 AM

Security holes don't make for a good default state, and your average player wouldn't have much interest in having them. I hence wouldn't expect such a thing to be added to the main mod any time soon.

But I suppose someone could create a resource pack for an adventure map or something, if they had the interest - this is the thread for such suggestions.

View PostKingofGamesYami, on 22 November 2015 - 03:48 AM, said:

Viruses are impossible because startup can be bypassed with a floppy disk.

That makes it pretty hard to create code that can't be removed from a system, yes, but it's still quite possible to write code which spreads itself over any startup files it can find once it's executed.

#5 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  • LocationYou will never find me, muhahahahahaha

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:23 AM

it can always hide the file by modifying fs and then catch events and send the files to the writer.

#6 Quartz101

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Location/dev/nvme0n1

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:50 PM

View Postheyu1, on 21 November 2015 - 11:43 PM, said:

After playing the game Hacknet I think that computer craft could benefit from a hacking interface for it, whether on a treasure disk or by default, the ability to find other Computer craft computers and accesses their files would be cool and could bring up another way for Floppy disks to be used for marketing, mainly antivirus softwares or advanced codes. Please leave a reply on how you think about this.
REAL hacking relies on vulnerabilites in software to gain unauthorized access to something.

#7 zxci

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:45 AM

Ya what quartz said. real software hacking is exploiting a programmer's weaknesses and using it against them. want to hack someone's CC pc? exploit their bad code

does their rednet system transmit command in plain text? add: ") shell.run("rm startup") shell.run("pastebin get (link to infected startup) startup") where their code was supposed to be to inject some nefarious code
does the player leave files backed up on a floppy? steal the floppy and look for vulnerabilities

etc etc

Edited by zxci, 26 November 2015 - 08:46 AM.

#8 LeDark Lua

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationLeLua

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:01 PM

I made a virus that infected any files and overwrited some functions, the result is total nonsense, pc is doing weird stuff... except you can bypass it with a floppy.

#9 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:10 AM

I've cleaned up some misleading/inaccurate posts from this topic.

#10 Dragon53535

• Members
  • 973 posts
  • LocationIn the Matrix

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:09 AM

I find this to be intriguing enough. Someone could possibly make a program to emulate Hacknet (I found the game kinda fun) and thus any other computers running hacknet could be "hacked" and a sort of map could be made utilizing this. Or you could have it to where like hacknet, everything is static, and the player needs to follow some words/rules. tbh, sounds like a fun project, but at the same time, an annoying one if you try it.

#11 AssossaGPB

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:55 AM

I had a grayhat (well, actually redhat) friend who found a vulnerability in jlua a long time ago. It was a basic buffer overflow to execute bytecode on the jvm. It would crash or glitch the server most the time (I think because he was messing up the main server thread). He never gave me the source for it, but I watched him use it, it was pretty impressive.

You guys are mentioning how viruses can easily be deleted from the pc, but a good virus is never found. Aka the player won't know to delete the virus if he doesn't even know it's there ;)

#12 jakejakey

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:26 AM

View Postheyu1, on 21 November 2015 - 11:43 PM, said:

This is a unique idea, although I don't quite understand it.
Anyway, you can reproduce similar effects with CCTweaks, as it allows disabling startup from disks. The whole remote file access thing sounds very easily exploitable on servers though.

#13 EveryOS

• Members
  • 570 posts
  • LocationOver there ->

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:38 AM

Notice how the latest versions of computercraft have an option to disable disk-startup?
Here's my thoughts on the matter:
Computercraft is for creating programs, not griefing other people's precious creations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users