Jump to content




opdoc - GUI documentation browser for OpenPeripheral

computer peripheral help

9 replies to this topic

#1 apemanzilla

  • Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:59 AM

I got tired of using OpenPeripheral's built-in 'doc' program, so I wrote opdoc! It's a useful program that uses
Flare to give you a nice, clean GUI for browsing the peripheral documentation in-game.
Posted Image


When you run opdoc, you'll see a bar at the top of the screen containing all attached peripherals that are supported by OpenPeripheral. Selecting one from this list will give you a list of its methods, as seen in the screenshot. Selecting a method will give you the description, arguments, and return information for that method. Here's a quick gif of it in action:

Posted Image

Much better than the built-in program, eh? The scrollbars are particularly useful for reading the documentation for methods with a lot of arguments.


You can download the program like so:


pastebin get 3NPXAasm opdoc


When you run it, it will automatically detect all compatible peripherals, and from there on it's pretty easy to figure out.


Edited by apemanzilla, 03 December 2015 - 01:09 AM.


#2 Bomb Bloke

    Hobbyist Coder

  • Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:51 AM

Oh hey, that's pretty cool. Source's surprisingly short, too, which speaks well of Flare.

FWIW, these days running "/op_dump" in chat creates an HTML dump of all OpenP functionality "currently available" into your install folder. But I'm really liking the presentation you've got here; a bit of decent colouring and formatting goes a long way towards making information easy to sift through.

#3 apemanzilla

  • Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:26 AM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 03 December 2015 - 01:51 AM, said:

Oh hey, that's pretty cool. Source's surprisingly short, too, which speaks well of Flare.

FWIW, these days running "/op_dump" in chat creates an HTML dump of all OpenP functionality "currently available" into your install folder. But I'm really liking the presentation you've got here; a bit of decent colouring and formatting goes a long way towards making information easy to sift through.

Yeah, I could have probably reduced the source to 60 or so lines had I been more familiar with Flare, this is pretty much my first project with it. I didn't know about the op_dump command, but this could still be useful for people who prefer to stay within CC.

#4 Exerro

  • Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:01 PM

Oooh, this looks really nice and slick. I love the colouration, and it's good to see Flare getting some use too. It might be worth setting `button.noAlign` to true for the buttons in the function list though, it looks a little weird with them all centre aligned.

#5 apemanzilla

  • Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:27 PM

View PostExerro, on 04 December 2015 - 02:01 PM, said:

Oooh, this looks really nice and slick. I love the colouration, and it's good to see Flare getting some use too. It might be worth setting `button.noAlign` to true for the buttons in the function list though, it looks a little weird with them all centre aligned.

Ah, I hadn't seen that.

Also, while trying to make the containers slide in/out with transitionInRight and the other functions, the containers would seem to stop 1 pixel early - they should have been at (1,1) but they would end up at (0,1) when sliding in from the left or (2,1) when sliding in from the right.

#6 D4rkSol1tud3

  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:45 PM

This is amazing, very well done. I wish the built in way was something like this.

#7 apemanzilla

  • Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:40 PM

View PostD4rkSol1tud3, on 25 December 2015 - 12:45 PM, said:

This is amazing, very well done. I wish the built in way was something like this.

Thanks! The built-in documentation is pretty basic, which is why I made this :)

#8 gScottSingleton

  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:35 AM

I absolutely <heart> this!

a table browser to call those functions and review results would be uber-fabulous.

#9 Konlab

  • Members
  • 595 posts
  • LocationKerbin

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:07 AM

What is the license for redistributing a modified version?

#10 apemanzilla

  • Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:09 AM

View PostKonlab, on 25 March 2016 - 09:07 AM, said:

What is the license for redistributing a modified version?

You can do whatever you want as long as you don't hold me liable for anything and provide attribution.

Edited by apemanzilla, 29 March 2016 - 02:10 AM.






2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users