Blue Shiny Rocks - Lua emulation and package manager

26 replies to this topic

#21 SquidDev

Frickin' laser beams | Resident Necromancer

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:13 PM

I got kinda distracted recently: sorry. BSRock's development was kinda blocked by some LuaJ bugs. These have since been fixed (though not yet released) and so development continues. If you're interested in using BSRocks until then I'd suggest looking into CCTweaks standalone which includes a LuaJ fork. Anyway: status update:

I love the BSRocks REPL. Now you can use it standalone instead without the emulated environment. If you run the build task above (or replace the "build" with "repl" or "replMin") then you also get a repl.lua file, which can be run instead of the standard Lua REPL. Go and have a look at the screenshots in the OP and then go and download it.

My next item on my todo list is LDoc. I'm hoping to finish this off today or tomorrow. Please recommend other packages people would like to see patched!

#22 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:29 PM

View PostSquidDev, on 08 March 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

My next item on my todo list is LDoc.
Yay! Hive will be able to make a lot better progress when we have a working documentation generator!

#23 SquidDev

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:04 PM

View PostSquidDev, on 08 March 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

My next item on my todo list is LDoc.

That was easier than I thought it would be. Zero code changes: just needed to re-route the dependency to GitHub. If you plan on running LDoc then:
  • Please update BSRocks: I've fixed some bugs
  • You'll need CCTweaks (or the standalone version for emulators). You'll also need to enable the Cobalt VM. Or wait until the next CC beta is released
  • Please be aware that I haven't tested it fully: only against the main LDoc source so there may be bugs.
  • I'd also recommend ClamShell (or an emulator with a massive resolution) as the error messages are quite verbose and don't fit on one screen.

Edited by SquidDev, 08 March 2016 - 02:05 PM.

#24 SquidDev

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:45 AM

So. Another progress update. Firstly I've spent a lot of time fixing LuaJ bugs. Needless to say there is another CCTweaks standalone version. Here is a brief summary of changes:
  • Custom CCEmuRedux patcher (allows custom resolution)
  • Operation errors display the variable (such as attempt to perform arithmetic on global 'a' (a boolean value))
  • Tons of LuaJ bugs fixed (most Lua tests pass)
  • Add too long without yielding handler (enabled via -Dcctweaks.timeoutError=true).
I started this because I wanted to get Moonscript running under CC and hit some issues. As those are now fixed you can now compile Moonscript on CC. There are several issues though:
  • Its slow: it takes a minute to compile 200 lines of code
  • Its hacky: there is a max callstack size of 256, which LuLPeg quickly uses. I've ended up creating new coroutines every 200 functions to avoid this limit, so expect issues.
  • Its broken: not all Moonscript tests pass yet, but it is probably good enough for everyday use. I'm working on it.

#25 apemanzilla

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:02 PM

View PostSquidDev, on 17 March 2016 - 08:45 AM, said:

So. Another progress update. Firstly I've spent a lot of time fixing LuaJ bugs. Needless to say there is another CCTweaks standalone version. Here is a brief summary of changes:
  • Custom CCEmuRedux patcher (allows custom resolution)
  • Operation errors display the variable (such as attempt to perform arithmetic on global 'a' (a boolean value))
  • Tons of LuaJ bugs fixed (most Lua tests pass)
  • Add too long without yielding handler (enabled via -Dcctweaks.timeoutError=true).
I started this because I wanted to get Moonscript running under CC and hit some issues. As those are now fixed you can now compile Moonscript on CC. There are several issues though:
  • Its slow: it takes a minute to compile 200 lines of code
  • Its hacky: there is a max callstack size of 256, which LuLPeg quickly uses. I've ended up creating new coroutines every 200 functions to avoid this limit, so expect issues.
  • Its broken: not all Moonscript tests pass yet, but it is probably good enough for everyday use. I'm working on it.

You can also compile Moonscript externally and still run it within CC of course, but it's awesome that you can use it properly in CC now - nice work!

#26 SquidDev

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:57 PM

View Postapemanzilla, on 17 March 2016 - 03:02 PM, said:

View PostSquidDev, on 17 March 2016 - 08:45 AM, said:

-snip-

You can also compile Moonscript externally and still run it within CC of course, but it's awesome that you can use it properly in CC now - nice work!

I've compiled outside CC before, but I like to have everything in CC: it means I can build everything with Howl. BSRocks is just me seeing how many vanilla Lua modules I can get working in CC, it isn't actually useful.

Edited by SquidDev, 17 March 2016 - 05:57 PM.

#27 SquidDev

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:07 PM

A year since the last post! Holy necro, Batman!

In all seriousness, wow - I can't believe it's been a whole year since I last touched this. Since then LuaRocks changed their repository location which means BSRocks crashed when downloading anything. This update changes the repository location, as well as fixing a couple of other minor bugs which popped up.

Of course, it goes without saying that I'd test the Urn compiler and REPL inside ComputerCraft:

Posted Image

Edited by SquidDev, 11 March 2017 - 12:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users