SimSoft Yellow - A Simple And Fast OS

95 replies to this topic

#81 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

Hey Simlor, I got an idea. When you right click a program on the left, there could be an option for "Run with File" instead of only with an argument. I even got an API for picking a file, LDDFM. You can customize how large the file selection screen is with it, and it has documentation on the forum page. Whaddyah say?

#82 WolfDood

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Locationjava.exception:3753:location not found

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:25 AM

Simlor, on 07 July 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

Chickenbreadlp, on 07 July 2017 - 01:11 PM, said:

Simlor, on 04 July 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

WolfDood, on 02 July 2017 - 02:26 AM, said:

Chickenbreadlp, on 29 February 2016 - 08:33 PM, said:

Looks promising so far. It's a bit confusing, that the initial administrator accout gets the same name as the computer label. Also most of the setup is controlled via arrow keys, but then again, to the end of it, it requiers you to click on "let's go!". You may not need to reboot the computer to change the background, you can like reload the image and stuff.
Also multiple accounts is a addition which is always welcome.
But other then that, it's really good first time OS.

(Nur mal so unter uns, ich bin gebürtig deutsch, ich habe die Antwort oben nur in englisch geschrieben damit andere aus dem Forum mich auch verstehen.)
Sieht gut aus soweit. Der Installer ist hier und da ein bisschen verwirrend, z.B. der erste (und einzige) Account auf dem Computer wird nach dem Computer benannt, wovon im Setup gar nichts steht. Außerdem, wird man nur am Ende des Setups darum geben, die Maus zu verwenden, ansonsten wird die Tastatur verwended.
Nur noch mal ein Tipp von mir: wenn der Hintergrund vom User bearbeitet wurde, kann man diesen danach einfach neuladen und man muss keinen Neustart wagen.
Außerdem sind Multi-User Systeme immer sehr wilkommen hier im Forum.
Aber ansonsten, ist es ein sehr schönes OS von jemanden, der hier im Forum das erste mal auftritt.

Hey it would be cool if you could encrypt the login details as they are saved in plain text. Thanks

It would be a nice feature, but it would not really be safer. I mean... if someone has access to your data, he does not need a password anymore to change everything. :D

.....maybe I integrate it in a later update.
I think he was talking about hashing the password, so that you can keep using that password, after your files have been stolen ;)

you could be right :D :P
Yeah maybe in a future update you could salt and hash the passwords. You know for security

#83 Stepnwolf2

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

I have had an issue with this OS where it fails on line 476 of the installer is there something wrong?

#84 Bartuzen

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:47 PM

On last version, I install it but when I loging, it shows no text ant sends me to login page again and it doesn't open. It says "Wrond Pass" when I write wrong but that thing happens when I write pass and pc name right.

#85 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:53 PM

Bartuzen, on 27 August 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

On last version, I install it but when I loging, it shows no text ant sends me to login page again and it doesn't open. It says "Wrond Pass" when I write wrong but that thing happens when I write pass and pc name right.

I could offer my two cents.
1. Are you using an old version of ComputerCraft (1.6x or below)? Older versions, if they don't outright crash a program, might cause it to misbehave. (this isn't a problem using ccemuredux, though)
2. You said you were entering in the PC name. The PC name, however, is separate from the username. Try entering in your username and password, and see if that works right.

(See? Two. Two cents.)

Edited by EldidiStroyrr, 27 August 2017 - 09:03 PM.

#86 JplaysStuff

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationRight behind you.

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:44 PM

I just found this OS on YouTube, and I must say, I'm quite impressed! Keep up the good work! I'll use this OS on one of my computers.

I must tell you, however, despite how good it is, the GUI on Pocket Computers doesn't work at all. It's a shame, considering there were some neat Pocket apps in the appstore.

Edited by Bomb Bloke, 30 August 2017 - 02:17 AM.

#87 Simlor_GER

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

EldidiStroyrr, on 29 July 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

Hey Simlor, I got an idea. When you right click a program on the left, there could be an option for "Run with File" instead of only with an argument. I even got an API for picking a file, LDDFM. You can customize how large the file selection screen is with it, and it has documentation on the forum page. Whaddyah say?

It seems to me like a file manager, right? I will probably use this in the next version of SimSoft. ;)

----

Stepnwolf2, on 25 August 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

I have had an issue with this OS where it fails on line 476 of the installer is there something wrong?

Bartuzen, on 27 August 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

Since the last update i use this command:

settings.set("shell.allow_disk_startup", false)
settings.save(".settings")

I know that older versions of CC dosent support this (sorry)... I have to fix it in the next version of SimSoft.

----

JplaysStuff, on 29 August 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

I just found this OS on YouTube, and I must say, I'm quite impressed! Keep up the good work! I'll use this OS on one of my computers.

I must tell you, however, despite how good it is, the GUI on Pocket Computers doesn't work at all. It's a shame, considering there were some neat Pocket apps in the appstore.

1. Thank you! :D

2. SimSoft dosent have a mobile version yet. Maybe later.

----

Thanks all of you for the support!

#88 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:40 PM

I think adding a mobile interface makes sense. Just scrunch the interface up a bunch. Never assume the screen size (always use term.getSize()). Show only the left half of a wallpaper. Stuff like that.

Also, you should really have the password hashed using SHA256. While it wouldn't help a ton if someone already had access to the filesystem, it would prevent people from figuring out your password and using it on other computers that might have the same password. It's also just good practice to hash passwords.

#89 Simlor_GER

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:02 PM

EldidiStroyrr, on 03 September 2017 - 09:40 PM, said:

I think adding a mobile interface makes sense. Just scrunch the interface up a bunch. Never assume the screen size (always use term.getSize()). Show only the left half of a wallpaper. Stuff like that.

Also, you should really have the password hashed using SHA256. While it wouldn't help a ton if someone already had access to the filesystem, it would prevent people from figuring out your password and using it on other computers that might have the same password. It's also just good practice to hash passwords.

I used stuff like term.getSize() in SimSoft 4. So you could use it on big monitors. Soooooo i think it is no problem to bring it on a mobile pc ^^

SimSoft Black will hash the passwords :D

#90 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:07 AM

It would be cool if you introduced a "safe shutdown" option that encrypts all the files (besides startup), and upon startup, entering the right password (which may or may not be tied to an account, maybe encrypt HDD with a "master password") will decrypt the hard drive.

Also, er, black and yellow? No, the memories are flooding back...!

#91 Jojy123

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:08 PM

The newest version of SimSoft crashes while installing on 1.7.10. with the following error-

Posted Image

#92 Simlor_GER

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:38 PM

Jojy123, on 17 September 2017 - 11:08 PM, said:

The newest version of SimSoft crashes while installing on 1.7.10. with the following error-

Posted Image

Try this installer:

pastebin run jP1qXpUX

I hope it solves the problem. ;)

EldidiStroyrr, on 09 September 2017 - 01:07 AM, said:

It would be cool if you introduced a "safe shutdown" option that encrypts all the files (besides startup), and upon startup, entering the right password (which may or may not be tied to an account, maybe encrypt HDD with a "master password") will decrypt the hard drive.

Also, er, black and yellow? No, the memories are flooding back...!

you got it ;D

#93 Jojy123

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:50 PM

It worked, thanks :) Great OS, btw. It's an inspiration to try making my own.

#94 Simlor_GER

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:06 PM

SimSoft is dead! :(

Short explanation:
It seems to me that computercraft is no longer updated, so I decided to stop SimSoft as well.

Many thanks for the support! :P

Best Regards,
Simlor!

#95 EveryOS

• Members
  • 570 posts
  • LocationOver there ->

Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:19 PM

Photo on github messed up again, sorry, delete this post

Edited by EveryOS, 10 July 2018 - 08:48 PM.

#96 CC-Mine

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:53 PM

This is The best CC OS.

Simlor_GER, on 27 March 2018 - 04:06 PM, said:

SimSoft is dead! :(

Short explanation:
It seems to me that computercraft is no longer updated, so I decided to stop SimSoft as well.

Many thanks for the support! :P

Best Regards,
Simlor!

But, ComputerCraft is Open Source!

So, The Community Maintains ComputerCraft.

Edited by Bomb Bloke, 03 April 2018 - 05:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Google