[Short] Licensing your code

23 replies to this topic

#21 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:09 PM

OP edit: new section Can I do something outside of the license with my code? What about changing the license or multi-license?

#22 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:55 PM

Op edit: multiple changes to the bottom of the post

#23 secret6timb1

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

What if you illegally used the code?

It seems silly to me that code- a set of computer instructions, can be licensed.

#24 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:12 PM

View Postsecret6timb1, on 12 January 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

What if you illegally used the code?

Disclaimer, this paragraph is just my thoughts and opinions:
I can't expand much from the "Someone posted code but I couldn't find a license" section of my OP, as I don't know much more. But, I would guess that it would depend on what you did, the license that the code is under and how protective the owner is of their code. Although I've said elsewhere on the forums (probably this thread) that I doubt any court case caused by code within the community will actually get to court. I imagine quite a few lawyers would find the entire claim a joke.

View Postsecret6timb1, on 12 January 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

It seems silly to me that code- a set of computer instructions, can be licensed.
The code is intellectual property and a creative work, which also covers art. I guess I can only answer this by asking: why copyright/license anything? Personally, I like the idea of something I've programmed has the ability to be protected by copyright, even as a person who uses open source projects where I can and I like releasing code which allows others to have freedom with my work.

Edited by Lupus590, 12 January 2017 - 09:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users