#41 cmdpwnd

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:42 PM

Windows 10 integrated Ubuntu under WSL.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...+10+build+14316

https://blogs.msdn.m...download-now-3/

Edited by cmdpwnd, 09 April 2016 - 09:49 PM.

#42 apemanzilla

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:29 AM

cmdpwnd, on 09 April 2016 - 09:42 PM, said:

Neat, but I'm sticking with Windows 7 and VMs. More complete support for Linux, and less auto-update and telemetry BS.

On a side note, I just did my weekly system update, reading the update notes before installing any of them. Of the 1 important update and 11 optional updates, 5 of the optional updates were GWX, more data collection stuff, or W10 upgrade compatibility patches.

Edited by apemanzilla, 10 April 2016 - 04:30 AM.

#43 Dog

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationEarth orbit

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:41 AM

I'm curious - does anyone else here use Spybot Anti-Beacon for Win7/8/10?

#44 TheRockettek

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • LocationRem is best girl

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:38 AM

you can turn off automatic updates :P
Posted Image
Better untick the one below :D

#45 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:13 AM

TheRockettek, on 10 April 2016 - 06:38 AM, said:

you can turn off automatic updates :P

You can disable the entire update system, or under Pro you can have it notify you of updates without actually downloading / installing them, but I don't see anything in that particular screenshot you've posted that has anything to do with what you're saying. "Postphoning until restart" isn't the same as "disabling".

#46 TheRockettek

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • LocationRem is best girl

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:53 AM

:[

#47 Mumbai

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:53 PM

I believe it was January when the Commisoft started the forced Windows 10 upgrade on Windows 7 machines. They've tried to send the forced update as well as in April, then now again in July. They only way to prevent the forced upgrade is to turn off automatic updates, manually researching and accepting the KB updates that they try to shove down your throats. (or as alot of you do already) go to Linux based.

KB3035583 < = Update that tried, or is still trying, to upgrade Windows machines. Hide that

(yes, I felt the need to reiterate to reinforce the idea to other forum users.)

Edited by Mumbai, 13 July 2016 - 06:55 PM.

#48 CrazedProgrammer

• Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationWageningen, The Netherlands

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:40 PM

Mumbai, on 13 July 2016 - 06:53 PM, said:

I believe it was January when the Commisoft started the forced Windows 10 upgrade on Windows 7 machines. They've tried to send the forced update as well as in April, then now again in July. They only way to prevent the forced upgrade is to turn off automatic updates, manually researching and accepting the KB updates that they try to shove down your throats. (or as alot of you do already) go to Linux based.

KB3035583 < = Update that tried, or is still trying, to upgrade Windows machines. Hide that

(yes, I felt the need to reiterate to reinforce the idea to other forum users.)
I'm pretty sure you can ignore the update or postpone it indefinitely now.

#49 Dog

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationEarth orbit

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:03 PM

If you want to stop being bothered by Win10 upgrade notices, there is one registry change. To stop the upgrade entirely is another registry change.

To disable the Get Windows 10 icon and notifications:
HKLM/Software/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/GWX

New DWORD (32-bit): DisableGWX (set it to 1)

To disable the OS upgrade entirely:
HKLM/Software/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/WindowsUpdate

New DWORD (32-bit): DisableOSUpgrade (set it to 1)

To disable automatic updates in Win10, set your connection to 'Metered' - then you control when updates are downloaded. You still can't pick and choose between updates, but it's better than nothing...

#50 Mumbai

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:08 PM

Dog, on 13 July 2016 - 09:03 PM, said:

If you want to stop being bothered by Win10 upgrade notices, there is one registry change. To stop the upgrade entirely is another registry change.

To disable the Get Windows 10 icon and notifications:
HKLM/Software/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/GWX

New DWORD (32-bit): DisableGWX (set it to 1)

To disable the OS upgrade entirely:
HKLM/Software/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/WindowsUpdate

New DWORD (32-bit): DisableOSUpgrade (set it to 1)

To disable automatic updates in Win10, set your connection to 'Metered' - then you control when updates are downloaded. You still can't pick and choose between updates, but it's better than nothing...

I see. But I plan on sticking with Ubuntu and Win 7. for some users, including myself, the icon with the win 10 logo will not go away even though I keep editing the registry. It will disappear then on next reboot it will be back. Ill try deleting that file, else stick with Ubuntu 16.04

Edited by Mumbai, 14 July 2016 - 01:08 PM.

#51 Dog

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationEarth orbit

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:12 PM

I don't know what to tell you, Mumbai. I've used those registry hacks on several Win7 machines and they've worked on every one without issue.

#52 MKlegoman357

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationKaunas, Lithuania

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:44 PM

Dog, on 13 July 2016 - 09:03 PM, said:

MKlegoman357, on 08 April 2016 - 07:22 PM, said:

Automatic Windows updates never bothered me, until now, as I'll be on a metered connection for about two weeks. So I went online to look for a 'hack' to disable them and instead found that the "Ask me to download and install" option is still actually a part of windows updates.

Bomb Bloke, on 08 April 2016 - 11:05 PM, said:

Good to know, but I notice that applies to professional versions only.

Dog, on 09 April 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

Thanks for the link, MKlegoman357 - very informative :)

Disabling automatic updates worked fine for me. When there are updates Windows will pop a notification and wait for you to actually approve you want to download those updates. Though you cannot select which updates to install.

#53 Dog

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationEarth orbit

Posted 16 July 2016 - 12:10 AM

MKlegoman357, on 15 July 2016 - 09:44 PM, said:

MKlegoman357, on 08 April 2016 - 07:22 PM, said:

Automatic Windows updates never bothered me, until now, as I'll be on a metered connection for about two weeks. So I went online to look for a 'hack' to disable them and instead found that the "Ask me to download and install" option is still actually a part of windows updates.

Dog, on 09 April 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

Thanks for the link, MKlegoman357 - very informative :)
Disabling automatic updates worked fine for me. When there are updates Windows will pop a notification and wait for you to actually approve you want to download those updates. Though you cannot select which updates to install.

So *this* are where I learned about the metered connection trick. My apologies for not properly attributing that information to you, MKlegoman357.

#54 jv110

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationIn front of my PC

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:05 PM

I didn't have a problem with Windows 10. It looks flat and modern, leaving the ugly skewomorphic design from Windows 7-.

The Start Menu is practically perfect. The All apps thing is the most useful thing ever, and it really cleans your desktop. It also keeps your most used apps near, and some other useful things. The grid on the right also helps a bit, though not very important because of the All apps thing. If that menu was there instead of the grid, it would probably be a bit uglier, but have approximmately the same usefulness.
The start menu may be delayed some times, but most times it's OK. The only problem with it is the little "user" menu with options to lock, quit, settings and change user. Sometimes I want to just quickly lock my computer and do something, but I have to wait a long time for it to open. That's only on the first time though, so if you want to lock it quick, be sure to open that same menu as soon as you unlock.
And... advertisements? I don't see one. Only built-in official Microsoft apps and some that I installed, plus some blank squares.

Search is also super useful, but not much to say about that one.

And it doesn't break apps. If they don't run on 10, try compatibility mode.

There are also no privacy concerns. They're not watching each and every user and, idk, making fun of you. You can disable those features, though.

#55 Lego Stax

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationThe dark depths of the web

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:55 PM

For Windows 10 users who want to disable Automatic Updates: Run services.msc in the Run window (Windows Key + R), find the Windows Update service, stop the service, right-click and click on Properties, then change the Startup type option to Disabled and hit OK.

This should leave Windows in a confused state where it is not capable of starting its own system service.

EDIT: 123rd post!

Edited by Lego Stax, 03 August 2016 - 02:55 PM.

#56 CrazedProgrammer

• Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationWageningen, The Netherlands

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:23 PM

Lego Stax, on 03 August 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

For Windows 10 users who want to disable Automatic Updates: Run services.msc in the Run window (Windows Key + R), find the Windows Update service, stop the service, right-click and click on Properties, then change the Startup type option to Disabled and hit OK.

This should leave Windows in a confused state where it is not capable of starting its own system service.

EDIT: 123rd post!
Thanks, very useful!
I haven't had any issues with updates (essentially the same as those good ole windows xp updates),
but I will archive this in case Microsoft comes up with some really anti-consumer stuff.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users