Jump to content




PAIN - NFP+NFT+BLT+GIF+UCG support, block characters, undo buffer, fill tool, and an infinite scrollable canvas


56 replies to this topic

#21 TheRockettek

  • Members
  • 547 posts
  • LocationRem is best girl

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:18 AM

I really like this Pain application, very useful. But it is quite a bit of a Pain in itself. :D No ones laughting

#22 H4X0RZ

  • Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:35 AM

View PostWaitdev_, on 21 May 2016 - 12:56 AM, said:

View PostH4X0RZ, on 20 May 2016 - 11:27 PM, said:

Am I the only one with a semi-good amount of FPS? :o/>/>

Posted Image

Semi-good?

WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING HERE I THOUGH WE WERE TALKING ABOUT BAD FPS xD

(though seriously, how'd you get it that high? any certain graphics card?)

ontopic (lol):

Thanks heaps for making this program, it can be so useful :D/>/> I was thinking of using it with blittle since with the normal paint you can't get as big of pictures.

Normally I don't talk about my secrets with other people but I'll make an exception. I don't have a good GPU (it's just a GTX 760). All I did was shrink the Minecraft window until I reached a desired amount of FPS. Also... running Minecraft on Linux helped me for some reason xD I get 80-120 FPS with shaders on Linux (sometimes just 50. Depends on the shader) and on windows it is just 50-80 FPS.

But I still tend to get around 1k FPS on flat maps when playing full-screen (1920x1080)

Edited by H4X0RZ, 21 May 2016 - 08:36 AM.


#23 TheRockettek

  • Members
  • 547 posts
  • LocationRem is best girl

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:41 AM

View PostH4X0RZ, on 21 May 2016 - 08:35 AM, said:

View PostWaitdev_, on 21 May 2016 - 12:56 AM, said:

View PostH4X0RZ, on 20 May 2016 - 11:27 PM, said:

Am I the only one with a semi-good amount of FPS? :o/>/>

Posted Image

Semi-good?

WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING HERE I THOUGH WE WERE TALKING ABOUT BAD FPS xD

(though seriously, how'd you get it that high? any certain graphics card?)

ontopic (lol):

Thanks heaps for making this program, it can be so useful :D/>/> I was thinking of using it with blittle since with the normal paint you can't get as big of pictures.

Normally I don't talk about my secrets with other people but I'll make an exception. I don't have a good GPU (it's just a GTX 760). All I did was shrink the Minecraft window until I reached a desired amount of FPS. Also... running Minecraft on Linux helped me for some reason xD I get 80-120 FPS with shaders on Linux (sometimes just 50. Depends on the shader) and on windows it is just 50-80 FPS.

But I still tend to get around 1k FPS on flat maps when playing full-screen (1920x1080)

:D i cant even see the image you first posted. It just says posted image. XD Virgin media and imgur right now dont go very well

Those times you need a VPN just to see images

HOLY SHEEET XD 10000 FPS

#24 LDDestroier

  • Members
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:55 PM

Okay then, I updated PAIN again! These changes aren't as big, but you'll notice them.
+Allows you to use '[' and ']' to change colors (use SHIFT for text colors)
+Added lines indicating the max screen size for regular viewing AND blittle (x*2,y*3)
+Added a void of "/"s where you cannot save dots
+Added a warning if any dots are x<0 or y<0

I've been meaning to add lines to the canvas for a while, but didn't care to figure out how until now.

Edited by LDDestroier, 22 May 2016 - 06:55 PM.


#25 LDDestroier

  • Members
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:02 PM

New update! And it's fairly big.
+Added line drawing! Hold SHIFT and drag leftclick
+Added 'Clear' option in menu to clear all dots on frame.
*Fixed saving in grayscale.
*Fixed the 'fix' option, if dots are out of bounds.
*Updated the drawing code; now it fills in dots the "mouse_drag" event didn't pick up
*Optimized dot rendering.
*An easter egg. Press F7.
*Localized a bunch of functions
*Sped up movement with arrow keys
*Can now display normal text files as NFP files, like the default paint program does.

If for some reason you want to use PAIN in CCJam 2016 (and beyond), go right ahead.

Edited by EldidiStroyrr, 14 June 2016 - 06:08 PM.


#26 KingofGamesYami

  • Members
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:12 PM

View PostEldidiStroyrr, on 14 June 2016 - 06:02 PM, said:

If for some reason you want to use PAIN in CCJam 2016 (and beyond), go right ahead.

Actually, I don't think it's allowed, because you updated it after they posted. I asked about a similar scenario, and the answer was no.

#27 H4X0RZ

  • Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:23 PM

View PostKingofGamesYami, on 14 June 2016 - 06:12 PM, said:

View PostEldidiStroyrr, on 14 June 2016 - 06:02 PM, said:

If for some reason you want to use PAIN in CCJam 2016 (and beyond), go right ahead.

Actually, I don't think it's allowed, because you updated it after they posted. I asked about a similar scenario, and the answer was no.

So we can't use PAIN to draw stuff for the CCJam? :o

#28 LDDestroier

  • Members
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:33 PM

No, I'm not sure about that. PAIN was first posted well before June 12th, but was updated today. The rule is that any program or API released to the public on or before June 12th are free to use. I'll have to ask.

#29 CrazedProgrammer

  • Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationWageningen, The Netherlands

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:24 PM

Cool program!
Will you add text and NFT support?
Also, the JSON format is EXTREMELY inefficient, I strongly suggest you make a custom format to suit your needs.

#30 LDDestroier

  • Members
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:39 PM

View PostCrazedProgrammer, on 15 June 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

Will you add text and NFT support?

Text is already supported. Do it with middleclick. And isn't NFT the normal paint format? I thought it was called NFP.

View PostCrazedProgrammer, on 15 June 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

Also, the JSON format is EXTREMELY inefficient, I strongly suggest you make a custom format to suit your needs.

Yeah, agreed. I already got an idea of how to format it next, but I'm having difficulty doing that.


Oh btw NEW UPDATE! You can now draw by holding the mouse button and pressing arrow keys. Like holding a pen down and moving the paper.

Edited by EldidiStroyrr, 15 June 2016 - 08:20 PM.


#31 LDDestroier

  • Members
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:58 PM

This is a small update, but one I should've done a while ago. On pocket computers, the menu was broken, and it would redraw weirdly every time you select a different option...and, uh, now it doesn't.

Also I drew TROGDOR THE BURNINATOR!

Edited by EldidiStroyrr, 06 July 2016 - 09:58 PM.


#32 CrazedProgrammer

  • Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationWageningen, The Netherlands

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:36 PM

Nice!
I love how there is no error checking for the input file, so you can basically do
pain /rom/apis/window
and get some modern art, but you might want to change that :P

Btw NFT is the image format made by nitrogenfingers for NPaintPro.
It supports text and text colours and it's very easy to implement, that's why it's so widely used.
You can view the technical info at https://github.com/o...ts/image/nft.md

Edited by CrazedProgrammer, 06 July 2016 - 10:39 PM.


#33 LDDestroier

  • Members
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:35 AM

View PostCrazedProgrammer, on 06 July 2016 - 10:36 PM, said:

Nice!
I love how there is no error checking for the input file, so you can basically do
pain /rom/apis/window
and get some modern art, but you might want to change that :P

Btw NFT is the image format made by nitrogenfingers for NPaintPro.
It supports text and text colours and it's very easy to implement, that's why it's so widely used.
You can view the technical info at https://github.com/o...ts/image/nft.md

Ahh! I gotta go do that now then!

EDIT: AAHHH why does NFA not use the same format as NFT??

Edited by EldidiStroyrr, 07 July 2016 - 03:23 AM.


#34 LDDestroier

  • Members
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:32 PM

A new update! And a good one!

Spoiler

Changing a bunch of these things has been a thought for a while now, so it's good to finally check them off a to-do list. It's been my pleasure to give you more PAIN!

Edited by EldidiStroyrr, 28 October 2016 - 04:33 PM.


#35 LDDestroier

  • Members
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 05 November 2016 - 04:03 PM

New update! Press B to preview your picture with the BLittle API! It downloads the API and loads it into memory, and disables menus and prompts. That was another thing I've been meaning to add for a while
Oh, and I added the ability to toggle displaying the grid with SHIFT+SPACEBAR.


To sum it all up, someone please say they both use and like it -- that is more compelling a thing to a developer to continue developing than most people know

Edited by EldidiStroyrr, 05 November 2016 - 04:50 PM.


#36 Bomb Bloke

    Hobbyist Coder

  • Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:20 PM

Frankly, asking programmers to use something other than their own programs isn't likely to yield results.

Personally I do nearly all my pixel work in MS Paint and an ancient copy of Paint Shop Pro. Despite Microsoft's best efforts to wreck the former with every release of Windows they come out with, mind you. It's all gone downhill for that app since 3.11... but anyway, typically I manually encode from there, typing in the colour data according to what I've drawn.

That said, as drawing programs for ComputerCraft go, this one's pretty good. It's responsive and fairly easy to use (so long as you RTFM).

The one thing I don't get is why you don't use that status bar down the bottom to accept some mouse input for the purposes of eg opening the menu and selecting its options, etc.

#37 LDDestroier

  • Members
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:57 AM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 08 November 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

Frankly, asking programmers to use something other than their own programs isn't likely to yield results.
Yeah, fair enough. But some feedback wouldn't hurt, y'know...

View PostBomb Bloke, on 08 November 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

That said, as drawing programs for ComputerCraft go, this one's pretty good. It's responsive and fairly easy to use (so long as you RTFM).
Thank you. It's always been my pleasure to make more hotkeys than necessary.

View PostBomb Bloke, on 08 November 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

The one thing I don't get is why you don't use that status bar down the bottom to accept some mouse input for the purposes of eg opening the menu and selecting its options, etc.
Hmm, that's a good idea. You'll find that...in the next update!

#38 LDDestroier

  • Members
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:38 AM

And the next update.
+Clicking and dragging on the menubar allows you to select an option by letting go
+Clicking and quickly letting go on the menubar just opens it up
*Fixed bug with skipping a pixel when deleting with right click and arrow keys
*Improved help screen to adapt to size of screen.

Today is the day where the president of the united states is elected...and...Trump is winning at this seconds...uuuuhhhghh...

#39 LDDestroier

  • Members
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:31 AM

Another update!
+Allowed PAIN to be read as an API with os.loadAPI()
+Added 'view' argument after filename, to render picture then close.

The process of turning PAIN into an API was the main problem, but it's for the better.

Edited by EldidiStroyrr, 21 December 2016 - 04:34 AM.


#40 Pyuu

  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:37 AM

Lovely looking program. What's unclear in the instructions is what to do with the frames?
You can have multiple frames, but how would you go about animating this in another program?

Sorry, just lazy at the moment.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users