PAIN - NFP+NFT+BLT+GIF+UCG support, block characters, undo buffer, fill tool, and an infinite scrollable canvas

56 replies to this topic

#41 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:14 PM

View PostPyuu, on 21 December 2016 - 04:37 AM, said:

Lovely looking program. What's unclear in the instructions is what to do with the frames?
You can have multiple frames, but how would you go about animating this in another program?

Sorry, just lazy at the moment.

Isssokay. Frames are basically different layers that you can switch between. If you want to make an animation, you do have to make your own animation program, though.

#42 TheRockettek

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • LocationRem is best girl

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:54 PM

is there a way to turn a pain file directly into a png for example. Or a way to see just your image without the gui so i can screenshot it? :D

Edited by TheRockettek, 13 February 2017 - 03:44 PM.

#43 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:09 PM

View PostEldidiStroyrr, on 21 December 2016 - 01:14 PM, said:

Isssokay. Frames are basically different layers that you can switch between. If you want to make an animation, you do have to make your own animation program, though.

So are they frames, or are they layers?

I have an API which can dump out images to an animated format. Just sayin'.

#44 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:47 PM

A new update for PAIN! You know how there are "@" indicators for the screen size? Well, now that can be changed in the CTRL menu.
Set it to either an X and a Y value, or give the name of a connected monitor and it will set the reference to the size of the monitor! Also, press F3 to list all connected monitors.

#45 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:16 PM

Major update!
  • Added actual submenus, such as File and Edit
  • Added support for export and import to/from NFT format (will automatically import from correct format)
  • Added support for export (not import) to BLittle's BLT format
  • Added new argument "-n" to create new file and declare filename afterward.
  • "pain [filename] view" now works with other formats besides native PAIN.
Many thanks to Bomb Bloke for help with export to BLT.
By the by, if export to BLT chops off the right half of a picture (or doesn't save image data at all), you will want to wait until an update to BLittle fixes that. blittle.shrink() seems to determine picture width an odd way. I'll investigate it (read: pester Bomb Bloke)

Edited by EldidiStroyrr, 12 November 2017 - 08:49 PM.

#46 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:50 PM

Fixed BLT export, and added a color picker button "P". You can also create a new image just by using the command "pain" with no arguments, so as to work with GUI operating systems better.

#47 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:27 AM

Update:
+Added "Crop Frame" option to delete all dots not onscreen
+Added GIF export/import!!!!
+Added UCG export/import too!!!
+Added extra menu items for actions that only had button inputs
*Changed save function so that if you open an image, saving will save in that format instead of the default one
*Fixed bug involving block character picker and a large line appearing
*Fixed bug with color picker ignoring scroll
*Changed fill function (Shift+F) so that it doesn't ignore the bottom Y layer if the menu is visible
*Tidied up bottom bar

GIF is now a supported file format for read/write! Thanks to Bomb Bloke and his GIF API!

I also updated all screenshots and added a real title image! Huzzah!

Edited by LDDestroier, 07 January 2018 - 09:56 AM.

#48 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:56 PM

New update: an actual undo buffer! Undo and redo up to 5 times. Configurable with the "undoBufferSize" variable.
Use "Z" to undo.
Use "LeftAlt+Z" to redo.

I also fixed a bug involving saving without preemptively declaring the file name.

REJOICE!

(and bomb bloke, they are frames, and I will take extra care into calling them frames from now on)

Edited by LDDestroier, 16 February 2018 - 11:19 PM.

#49 CrazedProgrammer

• Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationWageningen, The Netherlands

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:31 PM

Woah that's amazing!

#50 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:02 PM

View PostCrazedProgrammer, on 15 February 2018 - 10:31 PM, said:

Woah that's amazing!

I've been waiting for what feels like years for someone to reply to an update with something other than a bug report. Thanks a ton.

On a side note, I updated the Discover Store listing for PAIN, among other programs.

#51 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:03 AM

Update:
+Edit > Shrink BLittle: shrink the image into block characters! Unreversable without Undo.
+Window > Set Grid Colors: sets the backdrop's colors to your current color configuration
*Some graphical hiccups rectified, particularly with canceling a Save As menu
*Maximum undos raised to 8 from five..

BLT import has been found to not be exactly ideal (read: it sucks), but that'll be fixed later. Much later. Where's my hands

#52 Jummit

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationJulfander Squad Studio

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:10 PM

View PostLDDestroier, on 23 February 2018 - 07:03 AM, said:

Update:
+Edit > Shrink BLittle: shrink the image into block characters! Unreversable without Undo.
+Window > Set Grid Colors: sets the backdrop's colors to your current color configuration
*Some graphical hiccups rectified, particularly with canceling a Save As menu
*Maximum undos raised to 8 from five..

BLT import has been found to not be exactly ideal (read: it sucks), but that'll be fixed later. Much later. Where's my hands
Just giving you +1 for an update two years after you first started the post. First time I see something like this! :)

#53 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:22 PM

View PostJummit, on 02 March 2018 - 07:10 PM, said:

Just giving you +1 for an update two years after you first started the post. First time I see something like this! :)

My ego has been soothed

#54 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:32 AM

PAIN now allows you to print images to the best of it's abilities. Since printers (to my knowledge) don't support full-block graphics, and you can't use more than one color per coordinate, it's quite limited. But hey, it's functional. And it prompts for each color, too.

Also, NFT export was bugged in that any characters to the right of transparent space was cut off. This has been fixed.

#55 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:40 AM

View PostLDDestroier, on 14 October 2018 - 05:32 AM, said:

Since printers (to my knowledge) don't support full-block graphics

Correct, they're pretty much a terminal that locks the background colour for each character to white.

Y'know, thinking about it, it'd be really pretty cool if we could print directly to maps...

#56 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 26 October 2018 - 06:12 PM

It's taken me a long time to figure out how to get a fill tool into PAIN, but now it has one.
Good

(and it doesn't crash when filling over 255 dots, neener neener)

Press 'F' to initiate fill tool ('X' to cancel), and click anywhere to fill that space with color.
Since PAIN has an infinite canvas, it treats either the screen size, or the most far-out dot's coordinates as the boundary.

If doFillDiagonal = true, then it will fill diagonally (but it's false by default)
if doFillAnimation = true, then it will animate as it fills (but it's false by default)

Finally, a paint bucket tool. It's took what, over two years?

EDIT: Also added a File>Open function. That's kinda important too.

EDIT EDIT: Added a Set menu option, with config options. No longer will you have to edit the PAIN file to change anything!

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Added the ability to merge the current frame atop the next or previous frame with LeftShift and '+' or '-'. The function to copy the last frame when making a new one is remapped to RightShift and '+'.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: Added the ability to copy/cut regions of the screen, and paste them. Instead of having one clipboard, you save a copied region with a name. Also, when making lines, they preview while you are dragging the mouse now.

Edited by LDDestroier, 09 November 2018 - 07:29 PM.

#57 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 22 December 2018 - 10:43 PM

A couple bugs were fixed, involving the fill tool and undo.
And, a video demo was added to the original post. PAIN looks good in high-res.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users