computer utility

10 replies to this topic

#1 Piorjade

• Members
  • 244 posts
  • LocationComputer, Germany

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:16 PM

A GRUB-like bootmenu.

Soo while rewriting cLinux (very) slowly, I thought about adding the ability to boot own OSes and/or CraftOS, just to expand the freedom, you know?

Basically this reads a list of names, saved in /grubcfg, and displays them with (additional) arguments displayed at the bottom.
(YES, you can let CraftOS boot, just let an executeable refer to /rom/programs/shell )

You can press E on the selected executeable to write additional arguments to boot with.

You can hardcode those arguments (they will still be editable in grub, but this is so that they may be saved permanently) and even write the number for the default-selected file.
  • The executeables have to be saved in /boot/ (ok you can edit that a bit at the bottom of the code (in os.run(blah) )
  • There cannot be more than 11 entries, otherwise GRUB will error out (isn't that enough?)
  • There HAS to be a /grubcfg , otherwise GRUB will error out (by erroring out, I don't mean crashing but it refuses to start, that's intended)
  • An example of a /bootcfg is posted here too.
Screenies (there isn't really much):

Download (and example /grubcfg):
GRUB:
pastebin get vfZ79n1U /grub

Example /grubcfg:
pastebin get uGALy0pc /grubcfg

#2 Admicos

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationTurkey

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:32 PM

looks useful, maybe i'll add support to it in AdmiOS.
But there are some other things to do.

#3 Piorjade

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:47 PM

View PostAdmicos, on 26 September 2016 - 07:32 PM, said:

looks useful, maybe i'll add support to it in AdmiOS.
But there are some other things to do.

Welcome on board, bro :)

Still got an OS to completely rewrite :P

#4 Lego Stax

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationThe dark depths of the web

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:56 PM

I see Lyqyd OS in the background there... ;)

#5 Admicos

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationTurkey

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:06 PM

Just discovered this. You can use ../file to execute a file outsite of the boot directory.

#6 Piorjade

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:22 PM

Ah ty Admi, tho this isn't exactly a problem because if you want you can change the directory in the code.. I'll fix it tho :)

Ye I had LyqydOS on for testing purposes but It gives me cancer as it crashes everytime a program finishes and I leave the window open for too long :/

#7 Piorjade

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:28 PM

View PostAdmicos, on 26 September 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

Just discovered this. You can use ../file to execute a file outsite of the boot directory.

OK it should be fixed (did this on my phone) could you try it out and if other "forbidden tricks" work, could you post them here?

#8 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:30 PM

View PostPiorjade, on 26 September 2016 - 08:22 PM, said:

Ye I had LyqydOS on for testing purposes but It gives me cancer as it crashes everytime a program finishes and I leave the window open for too long :/

Have you considered posting a bug report, with reproduction instructions? Can't exactly fix bugs I don't know about. :P

#9 Piorjade

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:31 PM

View PostLyqyd, on 26 September 2016 - 08:30 PM, said:

View PostPiorjade, on 26 September 2016 - 08:22 PM, said:

Have you considered posting a bug report, with reproduction instructions? Can't exactly fix bugs I don't know about. :P/>

Sure I can do that (ones I have access on my computer again) but where? Like, on GitHub?

#10 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:32 PM

GitHub is fine, or just a post on the LyqydOS topic over in the OS section. I pay attention to both.

#11 Piorjade

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:33 PM

Small update:
  • Fixed a "bug" where GRUB failes to boot an image if you have no flags

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users