Ext2CC - RAID Floppy Drives [Beta]

10 replies to this topic

#1 Geforce Fan

• Members
  • 846 posts
  • LocationMissouri, United States, America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe 42B, Life Street, Multiverse, 4th Dimension

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:05 AM

Ext2CC

Ext2CC is the first attempt at a new file system that CC has ever seen(correct me if I'm wrong). While there have been things that overwrite the FS library before, none have created permanent storage.

Why?

Floppy drives. You can connect an unlimited amount of them to a computer with wired modems, and each floppy is 144MB. So, this means that if you where to plug in 7 floppy drives, you've added 1MB of space--totaling 2MB(ext2CC uses your computer's space as well). 64 floppies and you've got 10MB of space. Add a couple more and total your floppy drives to 7,275 and you've got a whole gigabyte! Imagine what you can store on other people's minecraft servers!

How?

Just do:
pastebin run SDsarzqk

Then run "start"

Where?

Even though Ext2CC's main purpose is for "RAID"ing floppy drives, it can work on CC emulators as well. You just won't be able to add floppy drives to it for storage. I, however, highly recommend trying this out in real MC. Try going on a modded server, making a ton of floppy drives, and storing stuff on their server! Imagine if you made your own website and used it to communicate with a chunkloaded computer that has 7,275 floppy drives. You could send it commands to read, write, make directories, delete, everything! Storage on someone else's server!

When?

Right now.

Who?

Okay, enough.

Future features

- Adding new floppy drives with an FS call
- Getting the free space remaining
- Maybe allow multiple computers to share the same filsystem by networking the fs calls ( wouldn't be too complicated with the way I've gone about the whole thing)

Adding drives

Currently (insert beta excuse here) this is is done by editing "start", and adding the name that shows up with "list" -- ex. "disk" to the table at the very top. add this after "rootFS". If you add it before "rootFS" then it will not work.

Bug reports

Post them to this topic. If you have edited "start" in any way, including adding disks, please note that. Additionally, if you have modified anything in /rootFS/ by hand, please note this. If you can, upload your "rootFS" file.

Known issues:

Delete does not actually delete everything inside a folder
You can open directories for reading. Probably even write to them.
fs.list will only do 1 * and then stop.

Intentional things that may look like bugs:

Delete doesn't remove the contents in a block. It just marks it as available for writing to

Github(contains explanation of how Ext2CC works)

https://github.com/AI221/ext2cc

License

MIT. Basically, do anything you want with it, but I am not liable for damages ( so if you store your only copy of a picture of your cat in this and it gets corrupted, I'm not responsible.)

Backup anything you put on this that is important. Expect to loose it if you store it like this, because (insert beta excuse)

Edited by Geforce Fan, 24 October 2016 - 12:07 AM.

#2 apemanzilla

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:42 PM

Psst! Just edit gitget to do what you want instead of using shell.run! Like so - note lines 18 through 42

#3 Geforce Fan

• Members
  • 846 posts
  • LocationMissouri, United States, America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe 42B, Life Street, Multiverse, 4th Dimension

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:47 PM

But-but-but I saw someone else doing it! /s
Yeah I sorta just slopped an installer together. Thanks for fixing it-- and thanks for making gitget.

Edited by Geforce Fan, 22 October 2016 - 04:53 PM.

#4 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:53 PM

I've always wondered about this idea - looks awesome! Nice work!

#5 Geforce Fan

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:54 AM

Thanks! Tried it out yet? You don't have to use floppy drives, it can work on just the computer's memory (albeit not too exciting)

Edit: Upon trying to install Ext2CC inside an Ext2CC partition, I've run into multiple problems. I even got the error "We got problems"(which I thought wasn't possible until now, hence the humorous error). I suspected many bugs to be waiting for me on the path to installing & running an Ext2CC partition inside an Ext2CC partition. Hopefully I'll get there eventually.

Edited by Geforce Fan, 23 October 2016 - 07:24 AM.

#6 exynol

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:34 PM

error on line 107 (Screenshot) https://itzmattie.ovh/sharex/rOTTt.png

#7 Purple

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationAlone in the dark, looking at the pretty lights with dreams of things I can not have.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:56 AM

Out of curiosity just how do I attach more than 6 devices to a computer? The thing is a block that only has 6 sides after all.

#8 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:06 AM

Wired Modems. You technically can't connect the "unlimited" amount of devices claimed in the OP, but I myself have gone up to 2,500, and the upper limit would be well above that.

#9 Purple

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationAlone in the dark, looking at the pretty lights with dreams of things I can not have.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:34 PM

Can it be done with wireless modems as well? T'would be insane if I could just plug a monitor on the other side of the map up to my computer that's linked to a sensor.

#10 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:33 PM

View PostPurple, on 05 December 2017 - 12:34 PM, said:

Can it be done with wireless modems as well?

Not with Vannilla CC, but I belive KingofGamesYami made a program which allows it.

I'll have a look and edit this post. I think Yami may be stalking me.

Edited by Lupus590, 05 December 2017 - 09:41 PM.

#11 KingofGamesYami

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:38 PM

View PostLupus590, on 05 December 2017 - 09:33 PM, said:

I belive KingofGamesYami made a program which allows it.

Not with Vannilla CC, but I belive KingofGamesYami made a program which allows it.

Yes, I did.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users