Jump to content




[WIP] Oblox OS [Alpha]

computer lua

44 replies to this topic

Poll: Oblox Poll

What should I add next

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How do you like Oblox OS? (Keep in mind new version is coming soon)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ObloxCC

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:28 PM

So in my free time I have been working on a new ui/os that is planned to have working windows* (Added) and multitasking**, it's currently not much, but it should be updated constantly***.

-Upcoming features-
  • online tools
  • appstore
  • better window support using window API (In next version)
  • bug fixes
  • working settings (In next version)
  • bcrypt encryption instead of SHA-256
  • and more!
NOTE: Passwords are hashed but they use a highly insecure hashing method (SHA256). There are website that you can paste in the hash and they will give you the password (or whatever) almost instantly. When I have the chance I will upgrade to bcrypt (the current hashing method that's used by many websites including twitter)

-Screenshots-
Alpha Screenshots (Current Release)
Release Screenshots (Still in development, un-released)
-How to install-
pastebin run irjFfYZ7
-GitHub-
https://github.com/ObloxCC/ObloxOS/

-Updates-
0.0.1: First Released
0.0.2: Updated login UI
0.0.3: Program window can now be dragged and the red X button now works (program and settings window only)
0.0.4: Added task manager, Added bug that combine windows when overlapping, started implementing multitasking, broke settings window
0.0.5: Re-implemented settings window (now drag-able), moved start menu to bottom and changed start background to green, and more!
0.0.6: Added icons (drag-able, but they don't open anything yet)
0.0.7: Icons can now open programs, icons can now only be dragged with "+", bug fixes, added more bugs, only 1 thing can be dragged at a time (no longer picks up other things when dragging)

1.0 New Features (Un-released)
-License-
License (Note the © is in my GitHub username)
-More info coming soon-


*draggable, sizable, multitasking ability**
**will be limited
***currently there are no automatic updates

Edited by ObloxCC, 19 February 2017 - 01:47 PM.


#2 Nothy

  • Members
  • 248 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

When you enter invalid credentials the login screen gets replaced by a white screen.
Might be a bug, I don't know.

#3 ObloxCC

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

View PostNothy, on 05 January 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

When you enter invalid credentials the login screen gets replaced by a white screen.
Might be a bug, I don't know.

I have updated the code with a temporary fix, but the login system will get a change in the next update

#4 ObloxCC

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:24 PM

View PostOblox, on 05 January 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

View PostNothy, on 05 January 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

When you enter invalid credentials the login screen gets replaced by a white screen.
Might be a bug, I don't know.

I have updated the code with a temporary fix, but the login system will get a change in the next update

The login UI has been redone.

#5 ObloxCC

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:52 PM

Quick question, how do you like the new start menu coloring and task bar positioning? Also what should I add next? [Desktop icons, file browser, working settings, program API, or other]

#6 itzstarstruck

  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationAus

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:54 AM

2 BUGS: Icons don't work for me, and I can terminate the login screen. To fix the terminating issue all you've got to do is, add this at the beginning of your code: os.pullEvent = os.pullEventRaw.
I have an idea, for you. Create a github, so the community can examine and find issues.
Overall, it's pretty cool, but also really glitchy. I like what you're doing, and you should keep going!
EDIT: Checking your code was a breeze! It's very well labeled. Good job there!

Edited by itzstarstruck, 07 January 2017 - 01:55 AM.


#7 ObloxCC

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:03 PM

View Postitzstarstruck, on 07 January 2017 - 01:54 AM, said:

2 BUGS: Icons don't work for me, and I can terminate the login screen. To fix the terminating issue all you've got to do is, add this at the beginning of your code: os.pullEvent = os.pullEventRaw.
I have an idea, for you. Create a github, so the community can examine and find issues.
Overall, it's pretty cool, but also really glitchy. I like what you're doing, and you should keep going!
EDIT: Checking your code was a breeze! It's very well labeled. Good job there!

The bugs should be fixed, try reinstalling the os/ui.

#8 houseofkraft

  • Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:52 PM

Off topic: You're safe. If you just changed the "l" to an "n" and.... https://www.youtube....h?v=d3TXeh_t23o so that means you're safe! XD

Anyways, I tried out the OS and I liked it a lot.

Edited by houseofkraft, 16 January 2017 - 12:53 PM.


#9 ObloxCC

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:37 PM

If anyone's wondering where this is going, here's a screenshot of the upcoming version (half rewrite).

Posted Image

#10 Piorjade

  • Members
  • 244 posts
  • LocationComputer, Germany

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:59 PM

View PostOblox, on 04 February 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

If anyone's wondering where this is going, here's a screenshot of the upcoming version (half rewrite).

Posted Image

Are these buttons using these mini-pixels?
That's an incredible idea :)

#11 Bomb Bloke

    Hobbyist Coder

  • Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:41 AM

Looks to me like they're simply using character 7.

#12 Piorjade

  • Members
  • 244 posts
  • LocationComputer, Germany

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:53 AM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 05 February 2017 - 12:41 AM, said:

Looks to me like they're simply using character 7.

Character 7?

#13 ObloxCC

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:06 AM

View PostPiorjade, on 05 February 2017 - 12:53 AM, said:

View PostBomb Bloke, on 05 February 2017 - 12:41 AM, said:

Looks to me like they're simply using character 7.

Character 7?
There are some extra characters included with computercraft (http://www.computerc...__fromsearch__1). To use these you can just do something like:
string.char(7)


#14 ObloxCC

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:26 PM

Working to add notifications and active windows now appear above other windows.
Posted Image

#15 ObloxCC

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:44 PM

Is that a terminal I see?
Posted Image

Edited by Oblox, 05 February 2017 - 05:45 PM.


#16 ObloxCC

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:41 PM

And no, I did not forget about settings.
Posted Image

#17 Dave-ee Jones

  • Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationVan Diemen's Land

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:40 AM

Looks quite nice, I like the implementation of "hidden" characters like Char 7, gives it almost a OSX look (Mac).
I'm assuming Windows are Touch and Drag compatible?

Notifications is something I haven't seen in a CC OS, and I'm not really sure what you could use it for apart from:

- Registering Disk insertion/removal in a Disk Drive
- Redstone input/output on certain sides
- Rednet broadcasts/messages

...Actually there is a fair amount of potential there just saying those examples. The possibilities...I gotta try this now :P

It seems to me the hardest thing to do with this is creating a Touch and Drag window for the Terminal. That's always caught me off guard as to how people do it. I am assuming it is using some kind of coroutines, even if it's from the Windows/Background processing API/s.

All in all a fine piece of work.

#18 Piorjade

  • Members
  • 244 posts
  • LocationComputer, Germany

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:34 AM

View PostDave-ee Jones, on 06 February 2017 - 04:40 AM, said:

Looks quite nice, I like the implementation of "hidden" characters like Char 7, gives it almost a OSX look (Mac).
I'm assuming Windows are Touch and Drag compatible?

Notifications is something I haven't seen in a CC OS, and I'm not really sure what you could use it for apart from:

- Registering Disk insertion/removal in a Disk Drive
- Redstone input/output on certain sides
- Rednet broadcasts/messages

...Actually there is a fair amount of potential there just saying those examples. The possibilities...I gotta try this now :P/>

It seems to me the hardest thing to do with this is creating a Touch and Drag window for the Terminal. That's always caught me off guard as to how people do it. I am assuming it is using some kind of coroutines, even if it's from the Windows/Background processing API/s.

All in all a fine piece of work.

Keep in mind that you need to only let the focused window actually get the keyboard input for example.

Touch support as in mouse clicks?
For that you need to calculate where the window is and subtract the coordinate from the coordinates where you clicked on the screen (as you still get "real" coordinates when clicking) and THEN pass it over so that the window "thinks" that you clicked somewhere inside it. (E.g. the window begins at 9/9, you clicked on 10/10 so you subtract the beginning from the click (10 - 9 / 10 - 9), add 1 (1+1 / 1+1; cuz you miss a pixel without it) and then pass it over to the coroutine of the focused window.)
Also something you CAN do is NOT passing the mouse event to the coroutine if you clicked outside of the window (to prevent negative or too big coordinates for the window)


(Yeah every window gets a coroutine)

#19 Sewbacca

  • Members
  • 450 posts
  • LocationStar Wars

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:54 AM

Pretty good, just your official version, your drag of icons is a bit buggy (you cannot move sometimes them (yeah i drag the '+')) and if i add manually a new icon, it doesn't displayed.

Edited by Sewbacca, 06 February 2017 - 10:06 AM.


#20 Saldor010

  • Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe United States

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:58 PM

Looks really nice so far.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users