BrineCrypt (File encryption software)

25 replies to this topic

#1 TheZen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationHoquiam Wa

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:25 PM

BrineCrypt will encrypt your files with a password that you input at encryption, when decrypting if you put in the wrong password it gives you something completely different from the original.

run BrineCrypt <filename> enc to encrypt a file
run BrineCrypt <filename> dec to decrypt a file

pastebin link: https://pastebin.com/qLdJcSn1

Edited by KidBrine, 20 April 2017 - 12:59 AM.

#2 Anavrins

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:07 PM

Yet another math.randomseed / math.random encryption algorithm.
Line 16 and 17 is effectively equivalent to Char = (Char+N)%256.
Which is to say that your algorithm is virtually the same as a caesar cipher with a mere 8 bits of security, a maximum of 256 operations to crack a file.

Edited by Anavrins, 20 April 2017 - 04:26 AM.

#3 TheZen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationHoquiam Wa

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:52 AM

View PostAnavrins, on 19 April 2017 - 10:07 PM, said:

Yet another math.randomseed / math.random encryption algorithm.
Line 16 and 17 is effectively equivalent to Char = (Char+N)%256.
Which is to say that your algorithm is virtually the same as a caesar cipher with a mere 8 bits of security, a maximum of 256 operations to crack a file.
I would like to see you crack a file...

#4 Anavrins

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:55 AM

Your wish is my command

Posted Image

Sample text: https://pastebin.com/p1fS4gBh
Cracker: https://pastebin.com/3581pgRh

Spoiler

#5 TheZen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationHoquiam Wa

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:36 PM

View PostAnavrins, on 20 April 2017 - 03:55 AM, said:

Your wish is my command
Posted Image
Sample text: https://pastebin.com/p1fS4gBh
Cracker: https://pastebin.com/3581pgRh
Spoiler
Working on security updates now...
BTW with your code the file has to be at least 100 bytes.

Edit: Updated

Edited by KidBrine, 21 April 2017 - 12:04 AM.

#6 Anavrins

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:39 PM

View PostKidBrine, on 20 April 2017 - 10:36 PM, said:

Honestly, if you don't know what you're doing, you'll end up patching something that's inherently broken, maybe cryptography is not your cup of tea.

#7 TheZen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationHoquiam Wa

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:08 AM

View PostAnavrins, on 20 April 2017 - 10:39 PM, said:

Honestly, if you don't know what you're doing, you'll end up patching something that's inherently broken, maybe cryptography is not your cup of tea.
Check it out now.

#8 Anavrins

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:57 AM

Completely unrelated to the cracking, the 100 number is how many characters I show when displaying the decoded text on screen, unrelated to how big your file is.
From glancing at your new code, nothing seems to be fixed, you added some weird way to swap the bytes which doesn't really fix the real problem.

I hate repeating myself, but I'm gonna do it...

maybe cryptography is not your cup of tea.

Edited by Anavrins, 21 April 2017 - 12:58 AM.

#9 TheZen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationHoquiam Wa

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:18 AM

View PostAnavrins, on 21 April 2017 - 12:57 AM, said:

Completely unrelated to the cracking, the 100 number is how many characters I show when displaying the decoded text on screen, unrelated to how big your file is.
From glancing at your new code, nothing seems to be fixed, you added some weird way to swap the bytes which doesn't really fix the real problem.

I hate repeating myself, but I'm gonna do it...

maybe cryptography is not your cup of tea.
Hold up I need to update something...

#10 Anavrins

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:28 AM

Lookup "cryptanalysis of the caesar cipher" on Google or Youtube before updating further.

Edited by Anavrins, 21 April 2017 - 01:36 AM.

#11 Restioson

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSecret meeting of the South African Internet Users club

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:37 PM

To make this secure you really need to implement a new cipher. Try to implement the Vigenere cipher. It has been broken, but is a secure cipher as old ciphers with simply understood mathematics go. IIRC the one-time-pad cipher, the most secure cipher (if used properly) is a based on the Vigenere cipher, exculding quantum cryptography, which is theorised to be unbreakable.

#12 Anavrins

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

View PostRestioson, on 21 April 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

To make this secure you really need to implement a new cipher. Try to implement the Vigenere cipher. It has been broken, but is a secure cipher as old ciphers with simply understood mathematics go. IIRC the one-time-pad cipher, the most secure cipher (if used properly) is a based on the Vigenere cipher, exculding quantum cryptography, which is theorised to be unbreakable.
To be honest, I would rather recommend that people interested in this kind of stuff learn about how to use the already secure algorithms correctly, instead of re-inventing the wheel...
This field is pretty complicated to understand, the guy clearly stepped into this without any knowledge of it and it failed completely. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Anavrins, 21 April 2017 - 05:28 PM.

#13 TheZen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationHoquiam Wa

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:06 PM

View PostAnavrins, on 21 April 2017 - 05:13 PM, said:

To be honest, I would rather recommend that people interested in this kind of stuff learn about how to use the already secure algorithms correctly, instead of re-inventing the wheel...
This field is pretty complicated to understand, the guy clearly stepped into this without any knowledge of it and it failed completely. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You're right this is the first time i've tried something like this and i failed...

#14 TheZen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationHoquiam Wa

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:01 AM

View PostKidBrine, on 21 April 2017 - 10:06 PM, said:

View PostAnavrins, on 21 April 2017 - 05:13 PM, said:

You're right this is the first time i've tried something like this and i failed...
New code is on it's way (this will be a complete remake)

#15 TheZen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationHoquiam Wa

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:06 AM

This is the stronger version of BrineCrypt that is harder to break
Things to know
  • If your password is 1 character long Ex:"h" then it will be easy to crack.
  • if your password is over one character long but the characters are all the same Ex:"hhhhh" then it is the same as having on character long passwords "hhhhh" is the same as "h"
I have reasons for the following
  • if you put in a password like "kdtcndtsnvydvdjr" and lose your file I AM NOT responsible.

Link to the new program:
https://pastebin.com/zjtqYHKR
to install run:
pastebin get zjtqYHKR BrineCrypt

#16 D3matt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:23 AM

You're still just trying to make your own encryption algorithm without any knowledge of cryptography and it's not going to work. Focus on using one of the existing, tried and proven algorithms for this.

#17 TheZen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationHoquiam Wa

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:08 AM

View PostD3matt, on 23 April 2017 - 05:23 AM, said:

You're still just trying to make your own encryption algorithm without any knowledge of cryptography and it's not going to work. Focus on using one of the existing, tried and proven algorithms for this.
Try breaking it if you know so much about cryptography.
Also I like to make my own programs and the reason it's in 2.0B is because it is not confirmed to be secure so i'm seeing if anyone on the forums finds a bug.

Edited by KidBrine, 23 April 2017 - 06:22 AM.

#18 Anavrins

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:50 AM

It's a vigenere cipher, very similar way to break as caesar cipher, not going to make a demo for it, I think I've proven my point enough.

#19 hbomb79

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • LocationOrewa, New Zealand

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:19 AM

View PostKidBrine, on 23 April 2017 - 06:08 AM, said:

You do realize that the members of the forum are here to help you -- they do know more about cryptography than you do, and they would be more than happy to share their wisdom. You don't have to be so hostile towards them when all they want to do is better your understanding.

#20 TheZen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationHoquiam Wa

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:48 PM

View Posthbomb79, on 23 April 2017 - 07:19 AM, said:

View PostKidBrine, on 23 April 2017 - 06:08 AM, said:

You do realize that the members of the forum are here to help you -- they do know more about cryptography than you do, and they would be more than happy to share their wisdom. You don't have to be so hostile towards them when all they want to do is better your understanding.

View PostAnavrins, on 23 April 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

It's a vigenere cipher, very similar way to break as caesar cipher, not going to make a demo for it, I think I've proven my point enough.
from my understanding Anvarins is saying it's easy but time consuming.
D3matt & Restioson are saying not to make it yourself.
and you're saying it's guaranteed that every one on this website knows more than me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users