game api

3 replies to this topic

#1 Jummit

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationJulfander Squad Studio

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:23 AM

I programmed a little api for rpg games:
I know its bad, but if no one is replying i will not improve it.

Features:
  • add paint-images as background
  • move a player on the screen
  • config file with key config
  • api and demo
  • portals where the player teleports to another place
  • interact with npcs
  • add dialogs to npcs
  • items: they have all spectial functions!
It is in realy realy early beta. I am open for your ideas and I will implement as many of them as possible in the api.

Todo:
  • npcs
  • quests
  • items
  • monsters
  • multiplayer!!! :wub:
GitHub:https://github.com/Jummit/rpg-engine

PS: This is my first post, it may be very bad written.

Edited by Jummit, 14 September 2017 - 07:27 AM.

#2 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:37 AM

I had a go running it but there wasn't any content. It would be cool to have that added, so we can see what your API can do

#3 Dave-ee Jones

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationVan Diemen's Land

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:38 AM

Just tested the demo. Took me a few minutes to work out where all the files go (tip: make an installer for something with this many files, or make it a bit more intuitive as to how to install the game). Having a quick look through some of the code it looks interesting with the dialogue and item descriptions (though I didn't see any in the demo), but the maps definitely look interesting, though it's weird having a birds-eye view on the player but then a 2D side-on view of the map (trees etc.). Probably stick with one or the other. Side-on is harder because you have to work with the player jumping, gravity etc. Birds-eye is the classic, easy-to-make RPG.

You could also fix the screen flickering everytime the player moves as well. It is a bit hard to fix as you are drawing a map behind, but it would greatly affect the gameplay if you could fix it. The way I fixed it in my game was by drawing a 'blank' pixel at the old X and Y positions of the player, but in your case you have to figure out what colour the pixel is before you draw the pixel so it doesn't have blank pixels where the player was.

You might want to update your links as well, I can see the repo's name is rpg-engine, not rpg-game.

#4 Jummit

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationJulfander Squad Studio

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:25 AM

View PostDave-ee Jones, on 11 September 2017 - 12:38 AM, said:

Just tested the demo. Took me a few minutes to work out where all the files go (tip: make an installer for something with this many files, or make it a bit more intuitive as to how to install the game). Having a quick look through some of the code it looks interesting with the dialogue and item descriptions (though I didn't see any in the demo), but the maps definitely look interesting, though it's weird having a birds-eye view on the player but then a 2D side-on view of the map (trees etc.). Probably stick with one or the other. Side-on is harder because you have to work with the player jumping, gravity etc. Birds-eye is the classic, easy-to-make RPG.

You could also fix the screen flickering everytime the player moves as well. It is a bit hard to fix as you are drawing a map behind, but it would greatly affect the gameplay if you could fix it. The way I fixed it in my game was by drawing a 'blank' pixel at the old X and Y positions of the player, but in your case you have to figure out what colour the pixel is before you draw the pixel so it doesn't have blank pixels where the player was.

You might want to update your links as well, I can see the repo's name is rpg-engine, not rpg-game.
I know there are many things that should be worked on, but look; this was my second post, and i learned a lot since then. I will do what you said, though.

Edited by Jummit, 14 September 2017 - 07:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users