31 replies to this topic

#1 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:36 AM

The blog post by Dan is here.

The github repository is here.

This is a move Dan had discussed previously, as his time for working on ComputerCraft has dwindled. He will still be maintaining the official repository for the mod, as well as creating periodic official releases. He'll be accepting pull requests from those who would like to contribute, and has spelled out guidelines on how to create a PR that is likely to be accepted.

#2 SquidDev

Frickin' laser beams | Resident Necromancer

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:09 AM

I'd say it's working rather well :).

Posted Image
Taken from the GitHub network graph.

Many thanks to Dan for all the work he has done on ComputerCraft over the years, and for open sourcing it. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for the mod.

Edited by SquidDev, 02 May 2017 - 08:09 AM.

#3 houseofkraft

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:47 AM

By the way, are we allowed to fork it and create versions of our own? Because I wanted to make a custom version with new commands, notifications, enhanced BIOS, and more. Or is it still licensed?

Edited by houseofkraft, 02 May 2017 - 11:47 AM.

#4 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:12 PM

View Posthouseofkraft, on 02 May 2017 - 11:47 AM, said:

By the way, are we allowed to fork it and create versions of our own? Because I wanted to make a custom version with new commands, notifications, enhanced BIOS, and more. Or is it still licensed?

https://github.com/d.../master/LICENSE

#5 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

I, for one, am looking forward to what such openness brings to the mod. It's obviously worked out well for OpenComputers, but I've always liked ComputerCraft for its simplicity, especially with the turtles.

#6 houseofkraft

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:25 PM

I am going to make BetterCC and its going to be really cool since it's open source

#7 hbomb79

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • LocationOrewa, New Zealand

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:02 PM

View Posthouseofkraft, on 02 May 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

I am going to make BetterCC and its going to be really cool since it's open source

Or just use CCTweaks, haha

#8 houseofkraft

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

Nah, BetterCC will add many features.

#9 SquidDev

Frickin' laser beams | Resident Necromancer

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:40 PM

View Posthouseofkraft, on 02 May 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

Nah, BetterCC will add many features.
I love the implication here that CCTweaks doesn't add lots of features :P. In all seriousness, instead of just creating your own "cool" fork of ComputerCraft, why not contribute to the original repo? - that way everyone benefits.

#10 Wojbie

• Members
  • 631 posts
  • LocationKinda lost

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:14 PM

Yep! Its better to be cool together then by yourself in the corner over yonder.
Speaking of cool stuff. All modauthors that made peripheral mods for CC please come to CC repo and give your opinions of future of peripherals.

#11 houseofkraft

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:56 PM

I would love to contribute to the original repo but the BetterCC changes CC a lot. Like a GUI BIOS, and a lot more and in the rules it says it cannot have like major changes. But maybe ill make smaller changes in the original repo.

#12 Wojbie

• Members
  • 631 posts
  • LocationKinda lost

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:42 AM

Even small improvements are encouraged. Every brick matters!

Edited by Wojbie, 03 May 2017 - 12:42 AM.

#13 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:19 AM

View Posthouseofkraft, on 02 May 2017 - 11:56 PM, said:

I would love to contribute to the original repo but the BetterCC changes CC a lot. Like a GUI BIOS, and a lot more and in the rules it says it cannot have like major changes. But maybe ill make smaller changes in the original repo.

Make your changes in feature branches and make pull requests on those features, those that are rejected get to be unique to your fork.

#14 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:37 AM

I love the idea that CC is open source, I just worry that people will make forks and new versions of it, which potentially could make lots of versions of the mod?

#15 H4X0RZ

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:59 PM

View Posthouseofkraft, on 02 May 2017 - 11:56 PM, said:

I wouldn't call it "BetterCC" though. Everyone likes other stuff, and I would personally hate a GUI slapped into my bios.lua because it's unnecessary IMO for example.

#16 CrazedProgrammer

• Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationWageningen, The Netherlands

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:57 PM

I made a cron job on my server to build and package a redistribution (with SquidDev's modified build.gradle) of the main repository every 3 hours (starting at 0:30).
You can find it at https://crzd.me/file...aft-nightly.zip
There is also a maven repository for it at https://crzd.me/files/maven/ (the xml is located at https://crzd.me/file...adata-local.xml).

NOTE: This is a nightly build. Do not expect this to be stable.

#17 Wojbie

• Members
  • 631 posts
  • LocationKinda lost

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:35 PM

Ok i am really sorry for what i am about to say. I know this is serious discussion and all but.

16 Shades of ComputerCraft

I am not sorry.

Edited by Wojbie, 05 May 2017 - 04:36 PM.

#18 CrazedProgrammer

• Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationWageningen, The Netherlands

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:38 AM

View PostDannySMc, on 03 May 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

I love the idea that CC is open source, I just worry that people will make forks and new versions of it, which potentially could make lots of versions of the mod?
Well, this is essentially a non-issue, just like all other open-source projects.
The main repo gets the most attention and will be the best maintained version of the project, while forks and spin-offs could add functionality that doesn't belong in the main repo.
In addition to this, only the main repo will get stable official releases, so you don't have to worry about too many versions.

Edited by CrazedProgrammer, 06 May 2017 - 12:39 AM.

#19 CLNinja

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:55 AM

View PostCrazedProgrammer, on 06 May 2017 - 12:38 AM, said:

Well, this is essentially a non-issue, just like all other open-source projects.
The main repo gets the most attention and will be the best maintained version of the project, while forks and spin-offs could add functionality that doesn't belong in the main repo.
In addition to this, only the main repo will get stable official releases, so you don't have to worry about too many versions.

The issue i'm seeing is that if someone makes a major feature that isnt in the main repo, and wont be added for some unforeseeable reason, then that fork is going to be the most popular, and people will be more likely to use it rather than the official repo.

#20 Bubbycolditz

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUnited States, USA

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:08 AM

View PostCLNinja, on 06 May 2017 - 12:55 AM, said:

View PostCrazedProgrammer, on 06 May 2017 - 12:38 AM, said:

The issue i'm seeing is that if someone makes a major feature that isnt in the main repo, and wont be added for some unforeseeable reason, then that fork is going to be the most popular, and people will be more likely to use it rather than the official repo.

Yea and then making this open-source Mabey Dan can make a team that can gather up ideas of CC and make it better somewhat the community can come up with. Also the community can also help with changes and help out with tweaks. They can also be mabey a signup form for mabey helping with the CC mod team. Just my personal opinion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users